Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X > Mac OS X 10.7 Lion

Old Feb 18, 2012, 04:31 PM   #26
Dmitry070
macrumors newbie

This worked for me too! (Just make sure to follow each step in #24)
Thanks mark427!
Dmitry070 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2012, 10:48 PM   #27
neojogo
macrumors newbie

Smile Works perfect

Thank you mark427
neojogo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2012, 05:10 AM   #28
lordjonny
macrumors regular

Yep mark427 is smack on perfect. Got a kernal panic trying to make this work on my 2.4 core2duo iMac in the process.
Old Feb 26, 2012, 04:06 PM   #29
Minus720
macrumors newbie

Didnt work for me

I have a bluetooth keyboard and mousepad, so I cant turn off my bluetooth. Is there a work around for this because I'm in an endless loop of pairing and it is driving me crazy!
Minus720 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2012, 06:15 PM   #30
Sylon
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark427 View Post
I had same problem on MBP 2011 in Lion where it pairs, then drops connections shortly after, but got it to work finally heres what I did:

1. Open bluetooth from system preferences.
2. Get your PS3 controller to ask for pairing passcode (pressing PSX button). 3. Then enter new passcode (I used letters only "xxxx" don't know if it matters)
4. Now you should see PS3 Controller "Connected" in that list of Bluetooth devices. Select it and click the little gear in the bottom left corner and select add to favorites and then update services.
5. THIS IS THE STEP THAT FINALLY MADE IT REMEMBER. Turn off Bluetooth right away before it asks to pair all over again. The lights on the controller should stop flashing. Turn Bluetooth back on.
6. Press PSX button once and should pair in bluetooth right away. The lights will start flashing again and stay flashing all the time. They turn off when you disconnect it from bluetooth or turn bluetooth off.

Post if this works or not. MPB Early 2011 with OS Lion 10.7.3

Edit: I got the controller to be connected and lights off. After step 5, plug controller in USB, the lights should be flashing (slower though). Press the PSX button once, unplug USB, controller will pair in few seconds and lights will turn off.

This procedure didn't work for me (2011 MBP, Lion 10.7.3), however I was able to get my controller to work via USB. Thats fine for me.

Its odd, because I could get 1 controller to work via USB but not the other. I wonder if it had anything to do with it never being linked to a PS3 yet (brand new controller).
Old Feb 27, 2012, 05:21 PM   #31
ChengaizAK
macrumors newbie

Quote:
I had same problem on MBP 2011 in Lion where it pairs, then drops connections shortly after, but got it to work finally heres what I did:

2. Get your PS3 controller to ask for pairing passcode (pressing PSX button). 3. Then enter new passcode (I used letters only "xxxx" don't know if it matters)
4. Now you should see PS3 Controller "Connected" in that list of Bluetooth devices. Select it and click the little gear in the bottom left corner and select add to favorites and then update services.
5. THIS IS THE STEP THAT FINALLY MADE IT REMEMBER. Turn off Bluetooth right away before it asks to pair all over again. The lights on the controller should stop flashing. Turn Bluetooth back on.
6. Press PSX button once and should pair in bluetooth right away. The lights will start flashing again and stay flashing all the time. They turn off when you disconnect it from bluetooth or turn bluetooth off.

Edit: I got the controller to be connected and lights off. After step 5, plug controller in USB, the lights should be flashing (slower though). Press the PSX button once, unplug USB, controller will pair in few seconds and lights will turn off.
Cannot get this to work for some reason, at step 6 it asks for the pairing code again. After a few times of repeating this I decided to stop since I was going in circles.

Any advice? I can't get it to work via USB either, and I have the driver installed.
ChengaizAK is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1, 2012, 02:49 AM   #32
levifig
macrumors member

Quote:

I can't, for the life of me, get the "Add to favorites" option… :S
Old Mar 5, 2012, 04:36 PM   #33
loadedsith
macrumors newbie

Thanks Mark.

Here's where "add to favorites" is, i wouldn't call it a button, rather a list view selection... Ha!

Effects!
loadedsith is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2012, 04:40 PM   #34
RocketRed
macrumors 6502a

Thank you Mark! It worked!!
Old Mar 6, 2012, 02:22 AM   #35
levifig
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by loadedsith View Post
Thanks Mark.

Here's where "add to favorites" is, i wouldn't call it a button, rather a list view selection... Ha!

Effects!
Ya, I know where it should be… It simply doesn't show up for the controller on mine…
Old Mar 6, 2012, 03:22 AM   #36
S3R6i0
macrumors member

Update

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smileyboy View Post
So all indeed to do is just plug it in? I'm trying Jedi knights 2 on my MBA 2011 and it's not working.
No. I was wrong! My apologies. But, Mark427 might have your answer at the bottom of this page and it worked for me.
S3R6i0 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6, 2012, 12:52 PM   #37
aristokrat
macrumors regular

Well it looks like I just got this to work attempting to follow Mark's instructions. Having a 2011 Mini with only bluetooth input devices, I had to dig up a wired mouse in order to maintain control of the computer. Plugging in the wired mouse apparently fixed the issue, because I went through the "add to favorites" and "update services" step (with the mouse plugged in from the beginning), and immediately upon clicking update service the PS3 controller turned off, but did stay in my list of bluetooth devices, listed as not connected. Turned it back on and everything's working. Very weird, but maybe this will help someone else...
aristokrat is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10, 2012, 05:42 PM   #38
calvincho
macrumors newbie

Did I miss something important:confused:

Quote:

Thank you for your solution. This really brings me a hope!
However, I don't know what to do in the STEP 3. How to enter the Passcode?
I received a window like this.

p.s. I'm using a MacBook Pro 15" Late 2008 running Mac OS X Lion 10.7.3
calvincho is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26, 2012, 09:32 PM   #39
east85
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via AIM to east85
I have no idea what I'm doing wrong, but the device is favorited it just doesn't seem to connect... I actually never got a prompt for any pairing code.

I keep pressing the button but no pairing code prompt shows up.
Old Mar 31, 2012, 10:40 AM   #40
Awwwrigh
macrumors newbie

Hey guys i was having the problem of not having it my PS3 controller pair. I followed Marks way of setting it up via blue tooth and still nothing. However the problem with asking for the password in order to pair was fixed. It no longer wanted me to add a password. My game still was not working with the PS3 Controller. I got it to work though! All I did was restart my emulator and it worked via bluetooth! I have a 2011 MacBook Pro Lion OSX. Hope this helped Enjoy wireless gaming
Awwwrigh is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7, 2012, 05:16 PM   #41
NMF
macrumors 6502a

Hey all... I'm not getting anything on my Mac when I press the PS button on my controller. Either by itself or with the cable plugged in. Am I doing something wrong?
Old Apr 10, 2012, 12:46 PM   #42
dariogaitan
macrumors newbie

Pairing as keyboard!

I tried marks solution but my problem is that my ps3 controller is being detected as a keyboard and the way to pair it is to type some numbers (which obviously I cant do it with the controller) please if you know anything about this new problem let me know, I would apreciate it

----------

Quote:

my problem is that my ps3 controller is being detected as a keyboard and the way to pair it is to type some numbers (which obviously I cant do it with the controller) please if you know anything about this new problem let me know, I would apreciate it
dariogaitan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2012, 11:03 PM   #43
anonnymouz
macrumors newbie

Same here.

Please, someone help!!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2012-04-21 at 1.00.55 AM.png
Views:	6232
Size:	50.1 KB
ID:	336672  

Last edited by anonnymouz; Apr 20, 2012 at 11:04 PM. Reason: Wrong typed word.
anonnymouz is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21, 2012, 02:14 PM   #44
anonnymouz
macrumors newbie

What is it guys, no one has the answer?

I've just made a Lion clean install. None of updates yet.

It still recognizes the PS3 controller as a keyboard, but why???

How could I type the passcode on the controller???

If someone knows how to solve this, please, let us know.
anonnymouz is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 2012, 11:35 AM   #45
letsgocaps
macrumors newbie

Talking This worked!!!

This worked perfectly for my mid 2011 MacBook Air! However support and mapping is not available through the Lion OS so i had to download GamePad Companion from the App Store($7.99) to help map buttons for the Steam version for Portal 2. NOT PERFECT but it works, sorta... Still having problems mapping the left joystick properly. Please let me know if anyone has successfully gotten the mapping correct for Portal 2 via the Steam Client.

[ MacBook Air 1.8 GHz Intel Core i7 running Mac OS X Lion 10.7.3 (11D50b) with 4 GB 1333 MHz DDR3]

Quote:

letsgocaps is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 2012, 02:20 PM   #46
JxxL
macrumors newbie

Working!

Quote:

Followed your instructions and working great with GamePad Companion! Late 2011 MBP, Lion 10.7.3
JxxL is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26, 2012, 05:46 AM   #47
nikroz
macrumors newbie

Talking

Yes, I too can confirm that this is the way to go. Works perfectly!

Good Job!
nikroz is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26, 2012, 01:12 PM   #48
dwells90
macrumors newbie

Question I cant enter a pairing number

Hi everyone I am using mac osx 10.7.3 I tried connecting my ps3 controller and me macbook recognises the device but when it pops up with the pairing device window I cant enter the passcode, none of my keys do anything. I'm really confused as no one else seems to have this problem, am I just being an idiot???

Screenshot of what is popping up for me:

Thanks!
dwells90 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28, 2012, 07:05 AM   #49
gazzared
macrumors newbie

Working here too. Mac Pro (2008) with OSX Lion 10.7.3 Tried it in Darkness II, and works perfectly, except I realise that FPS games are better with a keyboard and a mouse.

Well done to Mark427
gazzared is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29, 2012, 12:13 PM   #50
clockworks
macrumors newbie

I'm having the same problem as some of the others. Lion is recognizing the controller as a keyboard and asking me type some stuff in. See screenshot:

Any ideas? Thanks for the help.
clockworks is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X > Mac OS X 10.7 Lion