Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iOS > Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks

Old Jul 31, 2011, 11:59 AM   #1
SgtSmitty07
macrumors newbie

Unhappy iPod touch 1st gen Jailbroken, won't turn on HELP

So I have an iPod touch 1st generation that i've had for over 4 years. It has always worked fine with no problems. One day I decided to Jailbreak it because Apple decided to stop making updates for it. With it jailbroken, it worked for a while no problem. Then one day it kept cutting off, the screen just shuts off and you can see what I was last doing on it burnt into the screen momentarily. Now it won't even turn on period. The strange thing is that when i plug it into this random iLive ipod dock, it turns on and works fine, but if i unplug it, it immediately cuts off. If i try to plug it into my computer, it wont turn on or get recognized by my computer. I've tried holding both buttons at the same time, restoring the settings, and it wont turn on. I have thousands of songs on there that i want to listen to and transfer over to itunes, but i can't because it wont turn on. Does anyone know what I can do to get this ipod to turn back on without being plugged into the iLive dock, or to transfer the songs to itunes somehow? I could really use the help!!!
SgtSmitty07 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31, 2011, 12:26 PM   #2
jonrando
macrumors 6502a

Hmm, let's see...

The first gen has a slow processor, barely any RAM, and is 4 year old hardware. Unfortunately when you put stress on 4 year old hardware that can't support all the junk that comes with a jailbreak that newer hardware can support, you put that old hardware at risk.
Old Jul 31, 2011, 12:27 PM   #3
fabian9
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by SgtSmitty07 View Post
So I have an iPod touch 1st generation that i've had for over 4 years. It has always worked fine with no problems. One day I decided to Jailbreak it because Apple decided to stop making updates for it. With it jailbroken, it worked for a while no problem. Then one day it kept cutting off, the screen just shuts off and you can see what I was last doing on it burnt into the screen momentarily. Now it won't even turn on period. The strange thing is that when i plug it into this random iLive ipod dock, it turns on and works fine, but if i unplug it, it immediately cuts off. If i try to plug it into my computer, it wont turn on or get recognized by my computer. I've tried holding both buttons at the same time, restoring the settings, and it wont turn on. I have thousands of songs on there that i want to listen to and transfer over to itunes, but i can't because it wont turn on. Does anyone know what I can do to get this ipod to turn back on without being plugged into the iLive dock, or to transfer the songs to itunes somehow? I could really use the help!!!
Sounds like you're out of luck with regards to getting those songs off it. Have you tried if you can access the phone through iPhone Explorer once you have plugged it into your computer? If that recognises it, then you might be able to get the songs off of it.

If not, the only way to get it working again is probably to restore it. Have you tried putting it into DFU mode before? Maybe iTunes will recognise it if it's in DFU mode...

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iOS > Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks