Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

huttjos

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 14, 2009
Philadelphia
I've been on the fence for a while now in regards to buying an Apple TV. Apple has tried many scenarios with it, but I still feel they haven't hit the nail on the head yet. That being said, with Apple recently acquiring Hulu, should I wait to see what happens there? Would something like this influence hardware, or something that could simply be downloaded into it as a software update? (once we see where that 2 billions$ went to). I don't expect Hulu itself to make it's way onto the Apple TV like Netflix, but obviously Apple has a plan in gear, and I hate buying Apple products only to be relaunched 2 months after. I've even heard ( on this site, lol) that Apple may be making HDTVs.

Honestly, I just want to watch Netlfix on my TV, and I don't want to rebut a bluray player, or pay 10$/month for xbox live. If I'd buy the Apple TV, I just want to get it for more than just watching Netflix, and I really don't buy episodes on iTunes cause it really is a waste of money.

Jamie0003

macrumors 65816
Apr 17, 2009
Norfolk, UK
I've been on the fence for a while now in regards to buying an Apple TV. Apple has tried many scenarios with it, but I still feel they haven't hit the nail on the head yet. That being said, with Apple recently acquiring Hulu, should I wait to see what happens there? Would something like this influence hardware, or something that could simply be downloaded into it as a software update? (once we see where that 2 billions$ went to). I don't expect Hulu itself to make it's way onto the Apple TV like Netflix, but obviously Apple has a plan in gear, and I hate buying Apple products only to be relaunched 2 months after. I've even heard ( on this site, lol) that Apple may be making HDTVs.

Honestly, I just want to watch Netlfix on my TV, and I don't want to rebut a bluray player, or pay 10$/month for xbox live. If I'd buy the Apple TV, I just want to get it for more than just watching Netflix, and I really don't buy episodes on iTunes cause it really is a waste of money.

Apple didn't acquire Hulu, it's rumoured that they are planning on doing so. I love my Apple TV, it really makes things easier when you have a lot of movies if you rip them to your computer, and would defiantly recommend it.

Even if you don't want to buy stuff to watch on the Apple TV, I personally think it's a very reasonable price to rent movies and TV shows, and makes it incredibly simple (Just browse, buy, and watch instantly)

If Apple wanted to make Hulu available, they would do it via a software update, no hardware is needed. (They recently added that MLB.TV app to the Apple TV, so it's possible, the Apple TV has 8 Gigs of onboard storage for streaming as well as storing the OS and apps.)

The Apple TV can also do Youtube, if you're into watching vids on the big screen, and Airplay is brilliant (With iOS5, Apple are enabling Airplay by default on all sites.)

kellygeorge

macrumors member
Aug 29, 2007
KCMO
Do it

First off, Apple has not acquired Hulu. As for the AppleTV, it sounds like you've already convinced yourself. If you just need a good Netflix streamer, just go grab an AppleTV. The other features will just be bonus. You won't find many other Netflix boxes at $99. The longer you wait the more you'll want to hold out for an update, which is never a guarantee.

DrEnalg

macrumors regular
Apr 26, 2011
East Bay, CA

Just buy the freakin' ATV2! If all you're interested in is Netflix, I'd say it's probably the best, cleanest interface for Netflix viewing around. And like the others say, the other features are a bonus. And if you JB it, well, sky's the limit.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.