Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Macman45

macrumors G5
Original poster
Jul 29, 2011
Somewhere Back In The Long Ago
Has anyone tried this pen device, and if so is it any good? I know there are cheaper ones around and would like your opinions.

I would like something thats good for drawing / skecting as opposed to handwriting.

Thanks ! :)

macrat

macrumors regular
Mar 21, 2003
Maui
I have the Alu Pen, Griffin and the Bamboo Pen. In my opinion the Bamboo Pen is the best because it has thinner rubber stuff than the other two and better looking. The Alu pen is also as good as the Bamboo but it is thick and ugly!:p

Macman45

macrumors G5
Original poster
Jul 29, 2011
Thanks For The Info.

I have the Alu Pen, Griffin and the Bamboo Pen. In my opinion the Bamboo Pen is the best because it has thinner rubber stuff than the other two and better looking. The Alu pen is also as good as the Bamboo but it is thick and ugly!:p

Thanks for that, The Griffin is a no no ( not that keen on their stuff) So is the Bamboo pretty accurate for drawing? :)

Tsuchiya

macrumors 68020
Jun 7, 2008
Just googled the Bamboo stylus and it looks pretty cool, might have to order one...

Though for what it's worth I use the Alu Pen and its fantastic. It's chunky sure, but the quality is top notch and the screen is very sensitive to the tip.

ctbear

macrumors 6502a
Dec 6, 2010
I have the alupen. It fits good in hand and writes better than a lot of styli (haven't tried bamboo though). But it's a bit uncomfortable because of it's shape

jsh1120

macrumors 65816
Jun 1, 2011
Has anyone tried this pen device, and if so is it any good? I know there are cheaper ones around and would like your opinions.

I would like something thats good for drawing / sketching as opposed to handwriting.

Thanks ! :)

Several observations. Keep in mind that they come from someone who enjoys sketching on the iPad and has zero talent. So take it for what it's worth.

Apologies to those who use it (I haven't) but the Alupen strikes me as a triumph of unique form over function. I understand the desire for a somewhat heftier instrument than most styluses, but I think a round shape is more comfortable.

I use the iFaraday Artist model (http://www.iFaraday.com) with an extra firm tip for sketching. It's long, thin, and has the feel of a brush. I use the "RX" model for notes. It feels like a fountain pen in my hand. The iFaraday styluses use a conductive fabric over a foam base and have zero drag. I like the design very much.

Another option I haven't tried is NomadBrush, apparently designed specifically for sketching. As the review below notes, though, the limitations in various styluses have at least as much to do with the constraints of the drawing apps as with the design of the stylus.

http://www.ilounge.com/index.php/reviews/entry/nomadbrush-llc-nomad-brush-for-ipad/

Macman45

macrumors G5
Original poster
Jul 29, 2011
Thanks For The Info.

Several observations. Keep in mind that they come from someone who enjoys sketching on the iPad and has zero talent. So take it for what it's worth.

Apologies to those who use it (I haven't) but the Alupen strikes me as a triumph of unique form over function. I understand the desire for a somewhat heftier instrument than most styluses, but I think a round shape is more comfortable.

I use the iFaraday Artist model (http://www.iFaraday.com) with an extra firm tip for sketching. It's long, thin, and has the feel of a brush. I use the "RX" model for notes. It feels like a fountain pen in my hand. The iFaraday styluses use a conductive fabric over a foam base and have zero drag. I like the design very much.

Another option I haven't tried is NomadBrush, apparently designed specifically for sketching. As the review below notes, though, the limitations in various styluses have at least as much to do with the constraints of the drawing apps as with the design of the stylus.

http://www.ilounge.com/index.php/reviews/entry/nomadbrush-llc-nomad-brush-for-ipad/
That's one I will have to look into too.

Thanks for the input all:)

sbddude

macrumors 6502a
Sep 27, 2010
Nor Cal, USA
Alupen is my favorite:

It doesn't roll away
The rubber tip glides smoothly on the screen
It works even with gloves on
I like the heft in my hand - the pogo is too small/light.

Macman45

macrumors G5
Original poster
Jul 29, 2011
Thanks All

I will come to a decision this week.....I like the just-mobile stuff, and have stands for all my mobile devices, and a mouse mat from them. All top notch, but some of the other styli mentioned here look good! Thanks to all for the suggestions :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.