Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Buying Tips and Advice

Old Aug 1, 2011, 04:02 AM   #1
Ulf1103
macrumors 6502

Going to buy a MBP, do I need a virus scanner?

Hy, I'm going to buy my first MBP (the current 17" model, or the next, don't know it yet if I'm going to wait for it ).
(Also buying the Apple warranty)
Anyway, since it's my first, I don't know if I need a virus scanner for OSX.
I'm gonna use windows on it as well, I can use Kaspersky Internet security for it (for free, we have 2 pc's at home, so we buy a 3-pack :P).

I've heard you don't need a virus scanner for OSX, is this true? Or do you recommend me one to buy?
If I use windows on it, and a virus destroys windows or so, will I stil be able to use OSX?
Is there a difference when you get a virus running windows tru bootcamp or tru parallel desktops?
Ulf1103 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 1, 2011, 04:11 AM   #2
wordoflife
macrumors 604

Don't even bother buying one. It's a waste of money and wil make your computer slower
Old Aug 1, 2011, 04:14 AM   #3
solowmodel
macrumors 6502

I've never used one on various Macs, never had any problems so far
solowmodel is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 1, 2011, 04:16 AM   #4
Ulf1103
macrumors 6502

so, don't buy a virus scanner for your Mac...

But it's probably best for the windows part wright?
Old Aug 1, 2011, 04:56 AM   #5
Beyondthought
macrumors newbie

I have Mackeeper on mine and would say it was worth it. It cleans and various other things too. Yes theres not many virus's out there but, Mackeeper did find 1 a couple of days ago!!
Beyondthought is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 1, 2011, 05:12 AM   #6
GGJstudios
macrumors Westmere

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beyondthought View Post
I have Mackeeper on mine and would say it was worth it. It cleans and various other things too. Yes theres not many virus's out there but, Mackeeper did find 1 a couple of days ago!!
If it found one, it was a Windows virus that can't possibly harm your Mac in any way. You don't need apps like Mackeeper.

No viruses exist in the wild that can run on Mac OS X, and there never have been any, since it was released 10 years ago. The handful of trojans that exist can be easily avoided with some basic education, common sense and care in what software you install:
Mac Virus/Malware Info
GGJstudios is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 1, 2011, 05:22 AM   #7
Ulf1103
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGJstudios View Post
If it found one, it was a Windows virus that can't possibly harm your Mac in any way. You don't need apps like Mackeeper.

No viruses exist in the wild that can run on Mac OS X, and there never have been any, since it was released 10 years ago. The handful of trojans that exist can be easily avoided with some basic education, common sense and care in what software you install:
Mac Virus/Malware Info
wow, thanxs.

But, if I understand correctly, and I download software from torrents, I can get ending up destroying my Mac wright?
Old Aug 1, 2011, 05:24 AM   #8
wpotere

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulf1103 View Post
wow, thanxs.

But, if I understand correctly, and I download software from torrents, I can get ending up destroying my Mac wright?

Nothing that will "destroy" your Mac, only give you a small headache until you clean it off.

Stop pirating software and you won't have that problem.
wpotere is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 1, 2011, 05:25 AM   #9
GGJstudios
macrumors Westmere

Quote:
wow, thanxs.

No, nothing you download is going to destroy your Mac. Read the link I posted for details.
Old Aug 1, 2011, 06:30 AM   #10
Ulf1103
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by wpotere View Post
Nothing that will "destroy" your Mac, only give you a small headache until you clean it off.

Stop pirating software and you won't have that problem.
Hey, it ain't illegal to download (only the upload is illegal) software/music/movies if you, and you alone use it. If you download some music and only you listen to it, it's legal. But from the moment you give the downloaded content to someone else, it's illegal.

(That's how it was the last time I checked what you could and couldn't do :P)
Old Aug 1, 2011, 06:33 AM   #11
GGJstudios
macrumors Westmere

Quote:
Hey, it ain't illegal to download (only the upload is illegal) software/music/movies if you, and you alone use it.
Actually, that's not true, but it also is irrelevant to the thread topic. If you download and install pirated software, you could be installing a trojan. It's simply not a wise thing to do, legal or not.
Old Aug 1, 2011, 06:40 AM   #12
wpotere

Quote:
Hey, it ain't illegal to download (only the upload is illegal) software/music/movies if you, and you alone use it. If you download some music and only you listen to it, it's legal. But from the moment you give the downloaded content to someone else, it's illegal.

(That's how it was the last time I checked what you could and couldn't do :P)
Depending on what you are downloading, yes, it can be illegal and you take a great risk of getting a trojan. Lots of folks have been sued for simply downloading.....

My advice is to avoid torrents, they are nothing but trouble. If you can't afford it find a different solution other than stealing.
wpotere is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 1, 2011, 09:26 AM   #13
Ulf1103
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGJstudios View Post
Actually, that's not true, but it also is irrelevant to the thread topic. If you download and install pirated software, you could be installing a trojan. It's simply not a wise thing to do, legal or not.
I've searched a bit on the internet and found out that you're right.
I was wrong telling that downloading software and games is legal.
In most countries you only may download music and movies (not upload), software and games is always illegal.

(Yes I know it's off topic)

But anyway.
If you only download stuff from the Mac App store and browse the web.
There's no way you can get viruses etc. So there's no real need for a virus scanner.

Thanks, I saved some money
Ulf1103 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 2, 2011, 02:08 AM   #14
Michael383
macrumors 6502a

I don't use a virus scanner on either of my Macs. However since you're going to run Windows on your MBP I'd recommend a virus scanner for the Windows partition.

Last edited by Michael383; Aug 2, 2011 at 02:14 AM.
Michael383 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Buying Tips and Advice

Tags
scanner, virus, virus scanner