Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

aningbo

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 15, 2009
I used to observe noise on my macbook pro and thought its normal until i read some post here recently. this noise isn't there anymore though!

It gets pretty hot and i have been observing this for the last few months or so but never bothered. Today i installed iStat Pro and took the screenshot. Could you please have a look and see if there's anything wrong?

the Temp is in Celcius.

Attachments

• Screen shot 2011-08-01 at 2.50.52 PM.png
    Screen shot 2011-08-01 at 2.50.52 PM.png
    51.6 KB · Views: 375

Pinkiy

macrumors regular
Nov 11, 2008
Surrey, UK
mine sometimes sits at 55-65 give or take between idle and usage, i think you have to remember that once it gets hot i'd imagine that it takes sometime to get low again as the case itself is hot. mine sometimes does touch 80+ but thats playing wow and surfing etc at the sametime

i gave my mbp a clean the other day with some air by taking the cover off so maybe try that if your worried?

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
It gets pretty hot and i have been observing this for the last few months or so but never bothered. Today i installed iStat Pro and took the screenshot. Could you please have a look and see if there's anything wrong?
Your temps look perfectly normal. The Intel processors used in Macs are designed to automatically shut down to prevent damage if they truly overheat (around 100C/212F - 105C/221F, depending on your processor).

Unless there is a rare defect in your Mac, your temps are well within the normal operating range, considering the workload you're putting on it. Websites with Flash content, games and other multimedia apps will put higher demand on the CPU/GPU, generating more heat. This is normal. If you're constantly putting high demands on your system, such as gaming or other multimedia tasks, expect temps to rise and fans to spin up accordingly. It's just your Mac doing its job to maintain temps within the normal range.

Your fans are always on when your Mac is on, spinning at a minimum of 2000 rpm (for MBPs). They will spin faster as needed to keep temps at a safe level. If they're spinning up without increased heat, try resetting the SMC. Also, make sure you don't block the vents, which are located at the rear, near the hinge.

Learn about the fans in your Mac
Apple Portables: Operating temperature

aningbo

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 15, 2009
I'm using only safari/chrome at the moment. no games or heavy software!

anyways, i thought my fan isn't working anymore. That's a breather.

Thanx guys.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.