Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JRoDDz

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 2, 2009
NYC
From reading all these threads on Macrumors.. one will never ever upgrade to Lion.

Lion is causing these issues and more:
  • slow bootup
  • slow shutdown
  • high cpu use while scrolling
  • video monitor crazyness
  • App Store slowness
  • Apps that crash
  • Wifi problems
  • Raid issues
  • decreased battery life
  • Battery failure
  • Laptop not charging

TNTN3

macrumors newbie
Aug 1, 2011
On my new Air, I have to say it's been absolutely fine. Maybe Apple will iron-out the problems with older hardware with an update.

AdeFowler

macrumors 68020
Aug 27, 2004
England
I'm personally liking parts of Lion on my Mac Pro, and disliking other parts. I'm just not sure we need yet another thread about it.

Sodner

macrumors 68020
Jan 12, 2011
Pittsburgh, PA
Lion is working wonderfully on a Mid 2011 iMac and a 2010 Air.

I think the doom and gloom you mention is not what MOST Lion users are experiancing.

paulsalter

macrumors 68000
Aug 10, 2008
UK
I only have 2 of them

high cpu when scrolling
app store slow (hardly ever use it so not an issue for me)

the only other bugs I have are the added new features

JRoDDz

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 2, 2009
NYC
I'm wondering if all these issues are due to upgrades and if they would be better off doing a clean install?

paulsalter

macrumors 68000
Aug 10, 2008
UK
I'm wondering if all these issues are due to upgrades and if they would be better off doing a clean install?

I dont believe its doing an update that causing the problem, more that something is wrong with the SL installation so installing Lion over the top makes it worse (if that makes sense)

If updating was a cause of problems, why do Apple make this the default way to install Lion

stridemat

Staff member
Apr 2, 2008
UK
Im loving Lion. No issue (and thats on an a SL upgrade). Only mior issue I have found is that AutoCad is not supported :( just having to wait until an update is released.

gentlefury

macrumors 68030
Jul 21, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
From reading all these threads on Macrumors.. one will never ever upgrade to Lion.

Lion is causing these issues and more:
  • slow bootup
  • slow shutdown
  • high cpu use while scrolling
  • video monitor crazyness
  • App Store slowness
  • Apps that crash
  • Wifi problems
  • Raid issues
  • decreased battery life
  • Battery failure
  • Laptop not charging

For some reason there is a handful of people on this forum that feel the need to complain about everything. I, personally, have experienced none of these "issues"....I would say judge for yourself. My guess is 99% of the problems people are experiencing is because they have installed custom apis that are not compatible with Lion.

nick9191

macrumors 68040
Feb 17, 2008
Britain
I experienced none of these issues.

My computer seems faster and the battery seems to last longer.

Did do a fresh install though which may have helped.

This is a tech forum, people don't make a new thread to say "Just installed Lion, it works fine, kthnxbai".

xUKHCx

Administrator emeritus
Jan 15, 2006
The Kop

Typswif2fingers

macrumors 6502
Feb 17, 2010
Dubai, UAE
That looks like pretty dangerous advice. You are turning off a global security setting. Would most definitely not advise this and would strongly recommend you switching it back as a "slow" app store (that will likely be fixed by apple soon enough) is better than a security hole.

Apologies, did not realise. It did seem to fix the beach ball... Thanks for the advice and warning.

ditzy

macrumors 68000
Sep 28, 2007

I actually wonder whether it is the other way around. I've read from a lot of clean installs that Lion has been painful. I suspect though I could be wrong that upgrading is the less painful option.

And to comment on the original post. Other than a few programs not working for me, which is to be expected within the first three months of a new operating system, Lion has so far been painless. Anything that I haven't liked I have been able to turn off really easily, while keeping all the things that I do like.

JRoDDz

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 2, 2009
NYC
I actually wonder whether it is the other way around. I've read from a lot of clean installs that Lion has been painful. I suspect though I could be wrong that upgrading is the less painful option.

And to comment on the original post. Other than a few programs not working for me, which is to be expected within the first three months of a new operating system, Lion has so far been painless. Anything that I haven't liked I have been able to turn off really easily, while keeping all the things that I do like.

I installed Lion on a spare Macbook that I have. It was a clean install and everything seemed to work fine. Other than some of the UI changes, I liked it for the most part. If you read these threads on here you would think Lion is the worst OS release since windows ME. :rolleyes:

ditzy

macrumors 68000
Sep 28, 2007
I installed Lion on a spare Macbook that I have. It was a clean install and everything seemed to work fine. Other than some of the UI changes, I liked it for the most part. If you read these threads on here you would think Lion is the worst OS release since windows ME. :rolleyes:

I'm now on my second OS update since buying a mac. I heard very similar complaints then too. The big major difference was that people complained that there wasn't enough difference between snow leopard and leopard, while complaining that there is too much different in Lion. Honestly I really like it, and when all my apps work which they will do soon, I'll like it even more.

tom5304

macrumors regular
May 7, 2005
My Lion experience was a big bag of hurt. I say 'was,' because I'm back with Snow Leopard now.

My first Lion upgrade was done the Apple way, built on top of Snow Leopard. My aluminum iMac bogged down with delayed Finder responses, tons of spinning beachballs, and broken Wifi.

My second Lion upgrade was a clean install. The clean install got rid of the laggy Finder conditions and spinning beachballs, but the Wifi was still broken.

For some reason, Lion's Wifi constantly keeps "Looking For Networks," and simply loses connection about once every half-hour of regular browser use. I consistently got Wifi back by restarting Wifi or running Network Diagnostics, but the process was a pain.

Under Snow Leopard, Airport does not constantly search for new Networks, and my internet connection is rock solid and quick. Under Lion, my Wifi is simply broken. Even when connected via Ethernet, I was getting weird connection issues and slowdowns.

So yes, Lion is a big bag of hurt.

All these posts on this thread (and elsewhere) that say nothing more than: "I don't have these problems, so there's no problem," are inane and do nothing to clear up the mess that is Lion.

The point isn't that YOU, or YOU, don't have problems. The point is that a certain percentage of people are experiencing these problems. If 10% of Lion users are seeing Lion as a big bag of hurt (a completely arbitrary number, by the way), then Lion has a problem.

There is no excuse for Apple producing a broken OS. I shouldn't have to learn how to create a bootable disc of Lion and to do a clean install, and all that to have solved only part of the problem. The Lion that Apple charged me $29 for is broken.

At this point, after having used Windows 7 on the PCs of friends and family, I see absolutely no reason to pay the Apple premium for my next computer. The Apple advantage (It Just Works... Pay Extra For Quality... etc.) doesn't justify the expense any more.

I've been an Apple user since the Mac Plus, and who knows, I still may stay an Apple user for certain products. But after my experience with OSX Lion, my loyalty to Apple has vanished.

The part that sucks is that Apple will deny, deny, deny, and then when they come out with a fix, they'll call it a new feature.

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
For people experiencing slowdowns, was this after spotlight had run its initial indexing? It takes a while and slows the computer, but once its done Lion is fast.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.