Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Skika

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Mar 11, 2009
Throw all the apps from the dock( uncheck the glowing dot for open apps in settings), so it becomes more of a multitasking bar, showing only open apps. And then rearrange the launchpad that it is actually useful (if not done before, mine was a mess).

So you launch all apps from the launchpad and the dock becomes a multitasking bar.

What do you think?

gentlefury

macrumors 68030
Jul 21, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
Throw all the apps from the dock( uncheck the glowing dot for open apps in settings), so it becomes more of a multitasking bar, showing only open apps. And then rearrange the launchpad that it is actually useful (if not done before, mine was a mess).

So you launch all apps from the launchpad and the dock becomes a multitasking bar.

What do you think?

I've been using launchpad more..I may actually give this a shot.

Toke

macrumors newbie
Jul 29, 2011
USA
That's actually a good idea. Nice way to utilize the otherwise pointless Launchpad.

Ropie

macrumors regular
Aug 6, 2007
England
This is how use the LH side of the dock, but instead of Launchpad I use an applications folder stack on the RH side of the dock.

Toke

macrumors newbie
Jul 29, 2011
USA
Or pointless dock, depending on your perspective.
Good point. I guess it's worth doing if you have a ton of apps that you use. But if you only use a set few, the dock is probably better

This is how use the LH side of the dock, but instead of Launchpad I use an applications folder stack on the RH side of the dock.
I also have the Applications folder on the right. I personally find it better than Launchpad but I have yet to find an exact reason why.

paulsalter

macrumors 68000
Aug 10, 2008
UK
I also have the Applications folder on the right. I personally find it better than Launchpad but I have yet to find an exact reason why.

I do this, the reason for me is

I find looking for apps in a text list easier than looking through big icons, just find this the quickest way for me when launching apps i dont use very often

ideal.dreams

macrumors 68020
Jul 19, 2010
If I were using my MBP by itself with no peripherals this wouldn't be a bad idea, but it's way too inconvenient to access launchpad without a gesture.

Skika

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Mar 11, 2009
If I were using my MBP by itself with no peripherals this wouldn't be a bad idea, but it's way too inconvenient to access launchpad without a gesture.

I made launchpad a hot corner so i just "gesture" quickly with the mouse on the bottom right.

rorschach

macrumors 68020
Jul 27, 2003

Maybe it's because in stacks you can type a few letters to select an app. Can't do that in Launchpad. I think once they fix this and add the ability to remove any app from Launchpad I'll start using it.

Gemütlichkeit

macrumors 65816
Nov 17, 2010
I keep the "always running" apps in the dock
Safari, ichat, itunes, mail, ical

then anything below ical (i keep the dock on the right) i know are the temp apps

i launch everything from launchpad

natd1993

macrumors regular
Jul 6, 2011
Great Britain

What do you think?

Wow, what an awesome idea! I've certainly put it to use. I removed all of my applications from the dock, carefully screenshotting it before hand. Then, went into LaunchPad, and reorganised the first page so that it would show all the apps that were once in my dock, in the correct order. Now, with a gesture, I can see all of them, and have a lovely, clean looking dock, thanks alot! :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.