Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Archive > Wasteland

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Aug 1, 2011, 11:34 AM   #1
bluebermuda
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Talking New MBP 15 inch = same size as MBA 13

The new MBP 15 inch model will have the same physical dimensions and weight as the current MBA 13 inch model due to the fact that Apple will fit a 15 inch screen on the 13 inch chassis.

The current MBA 13 inch model's dimensions are 12.8 x 8.94. 12.8^2 + 8.94^2 = 243.76.

The square root of 243.76 = 15.61 therefore a 15.4 inch screen will easily fit on the smaller chassis. By using edge to edge screen technology, the new MBP will set a new standard for 15 inch computers.

Unfortunately for those that just purchased a new MBA, their computers will soon look quite dated.
bluebermuda is offline   -2
Old Aug 1, 2011, 11:36 AM   #2
randomrazr
Banned
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebermuda View Post
The new MBP 15 inch model will have the same physical dimensions and weight as the current MBA 13 inch model due to the fact that Apple will fit a 15 inch screen on the 13 inch chassis.

The current MBA 13 inch model's dimensions are 12.8 x 8.94. 12.8^2 + 8.94^2 = 243.76.

The square root of 243.76 = 15.61 therefore a 15.4 inch screen will easily fit on the smaller chassis. By using edge to edge screen technology, the new MBP will set a new standard for 15 inch computers.

Unfortunately for those that just purchased a new MBA, their computers will soon look quite dated.
theres a differnece between a macbook "air" and a macbook "pro"

none the less we wont see any new macbook pro until early next year. it was just released back in february, which really wasnt that long ago.

for all we know, apple might screw us again witha spec bump LOL
randomrazr is offline   1
Old Aug 1, 2011, 11:51 AM   #3
sporadicMotion
macrumors 65816
 
sporadicMotion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Your girlfriends place
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebermuda View Post
The new MBP 15 inch model will have the same physical dimensions and weight as the current MBA 13 inch model due to the fact that Apple will fit a 15 inch screen on the 13 inch chassis.

The current MBA 13 inch model's dimensions are 12.8 x 8.94. 12.8^2 + 8.94^2 = 243.76.

The square root of 243.76 = 15.61 therefore a 15.4 inch screen will easily fit on the smaller chassis. By using edge to edge screen technology, the new MBP will set a new standard for 15 inch computers.

Unfortunately for those that just purchased a new MBA, their computers will soon look quite dated.
Welcome to modern computing. Ready for this?

Everything you buy today will be "outdated" in 6 months. It doesn't mean it's suddenly a bad computer. Silly boy.
__________________
your face > /dev/null
sporadicMotion is offline   1
Old Aug 1, 2011, 11:56 AM   #4
bluebermuda
Thread Starter
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomrazr View Post
theres a differnece between a macbook "air" and a macbook "pro"

none the less we wont see any new macbook pro until early next year. it was just released back in february, which really wasnt that long ago.

for all we know, apple might screw us again witha spec bump LOL
Of course there is a difference between a MBA and a MBP. The new 15 inch MBP will simply fit in the smaller 13 inch MBA chassis. It will of course be quad core as opposed to the MBA which is duel core.

The February MBP release was not a "real" release do to the fact that it was composed of minor improvements on the old, thick, heavy and dated MBP chassis, hence the normal update cycle is not applicable.

I sold my 2010 MBP and I would advise others to sell their MBP's in advance of the inevitable price collapse for the old legacy models.
bluebermuda is offline   -2
Old Aug 1, 2011, 12:01 PM   #5
sporadicMotion
macrumors 65816
 
sporadicMotion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Your girlfriends place
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebermuda View Post
Of course there is a difference between a MBA and a MBP. The new 15 inch MBP will simply fit in the smaller 13 inch MBA chassis. It will of course be quad core as opposed to the MBA which is duel core.
Are you talking about the foot print dimensions or just the thickness of the machine?

Quote:
The February MBP release was not a "real" release do to the fact that it was composed of minor improvements on the old, thick, heavy and dated MBP chassis, hence the normal update cycle is not applicable.
Huh? That was a pretty typical Apple release. Look at previous incarnations. The physical characteristics rarely change. The next will most likely but the previous was no less of an update than the ones before.

Quote:
I sold my 2010 MBP and I would advise others to sell their MBP's in advance of the inevitable price collapse for the old legacy models.
That's just silly. You sold a laptop in anticipation of a machine that could take 6 months to arrive?

Please don't give anymore advice.
__________________
your face > /dev/null
sporadicMotion is offline   0
Old Aug 1, 2011, 12:01 PM   #6
Manacit
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Seattle, WA
Probability of Troll: 90%

Be advised everyone.
__________________
2012 13" MBPr | 2013 13" MBPr | 2010 Mac Pro | iPad 3
Manacit is offline   1
Old Aug 1, 2011, 12:05 PM   #7
jgz
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: suedtirol.italy
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebermuda View Post
The new MBP 15 inch model will have the same physical dimensions and weight as the current MBA 13 inch model due to the fact that Apple will fit a 15 inch screen on the 13 inch chassis.
where did you read that?!
jgz is offline   0
Old Aug 1, 2011, 12:07 PM   #8
bluebermuda
Thread Starter
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by sporadicMotion View Post
Welcome to modern computing. Ready for this?

Everything you buy today will be "outdated" in 6 months. It doesn't mean it's suddenly a bad computer. Silly boy.
Of course the current MBP is not a "bad" computer, it was a great computer in its day however it is now a dated, heavy old computer from another era. Things change which is why it is incumbent for the educated consumer to be attentive and not purchase technology late in the cycle.
bluebermuda is offline   0
Old Aug 1, 2011, 12:14 PM   #9
sporadicMotion
macrumors 65816
 
sporadicMotion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Your girlfriends place
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebermuda View Post
Of course the current MBP is not a "bad" computer, it was a great computer in its day however it is now a dated, heavy old computer from another era. Things change which is why it is incumbent for the educated consumer to be attentive and not purchase technology late in the cycle.
You make no sense.

Confirmed Troll
__________________
your face > /dev/null
sporadicMotion is offline   0
Old Aug 1, 2011, 12:18 PM   #10
bluebermuda
Thread Starter
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by sporadicMotion View Post
Are you talking about the foot print dimensions or just the thickness of the machine?



Huh? That was a pretty typical Apple release. Look at previous incarnations. The physical characteristics rarely change. The next will most likely but the previous was no less of an update than the ones before.



That's just silly. You sold a laptop in anticipation of a machine that could take 6 months to arrive?

Please don't give anymore advice.
It should be intuitively obvious to anyone that has completed basic 7 th grade geometry that I am referring to the footprint. You are aware of the Pythagorean theorem?
bluebermuda is offline   0
Old Aug 1, 2011, 12:24 PM   #11
randomrazr
Banned
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebermuda View Post
Of course there is a difference between a MBA and a MBP. The new 15 inch MBP will simply fit in the smaller 13 inch MBA chassis. It will of course be quad core as opposed to the MBA which is duel core.

The February MBP release was not a "real" release do to the fact that it was composed of minor improvements on the old, thick, heavy and dated MBP chassis, hence the normal update cycle is not applicable.

I sold my 2010 MBP and I would advise others to sell their MBP's in advance of the inevitable price collapse for the old legacy models.
the new 15inch macbook will still be larger than th e current 13inch air. it has more powerful specs you still need a frame around the screen for structural support.

i dont think the macbook pro design is outdated. its been running for about 3 years now and for good reason, no other manufacturer has yet to provide a similar quality build machine. even when u compare it to other current laptops, they still cant entirely match the unibody solid design and the simplicity of the look of the macbook pro. even if we do see a change, its clear apple will keep a similar looking theme, theres no reason for them to slag the entire design and go different route.

in terms of the "legacy price collaspe". when the new machines are released, of course the older macbooks will drop in value, but huge. macbooks are the best computers to retain the majority of there value, and selling ur old 2010 macbook pro to wait for a release that won't come till atleast early next year is stupid. im going to get the macbook pro 15 anti glare edition and im pumped to get it and i know it will last me 4 years of university .
randomrazr is offline   0
Old Aug 1, 2011, 12:25 PM   #12
bluebermuda
Thread Starter
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by sporadicMotion View Post
You make no sense.

Confirmed Troll
I am sorry that you feel that way. Since you are apparently not bothered by owning an old legacy computer, I am sure it will not bother you to watch more astute Mac users, such as myself, enjoying the latest and greatest technology that money can buy.
bluebermuda is offline   0
Old Aug 1, 2011, 12:31 PM   #13
Epic Xbox Revie
macrumors 6502a
 
Epic Xbox Revie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: St. Louis, Mo
I LOL'd at this thread.
__________________
Retina MacBook Pro 13", iPhone 5, iPad Mini
Epic Xbox Revie is offline   0
Old Aug 1, 2011, 12:32 PM   #14
bluebermuda
Thread Starter
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Talking

Random, I would wait since the release of the new light and highly advance MBP is imminent. I would not like to see you make an expensive mistake that you will regret every day for the next 4 years while attending university.

Of course, I can lead a horse to water but I cannot make him drink.
bluebermuda is offline   0
Old Aug 1, 2011, 12:37 PM   #15
tsmacman
macrumors member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: NC
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebermuda View Post
It should be intuitively obvious to anyone that has completed basic 7 th grade geometry that I am referring to the footprint. You are aware of the Pythagorean theorem?
Im surprised no one has noticed this so far but all of the screens on the macbook pro/ airs are rectangular, sure the square root of that whole dimension is 15.61.....but unless you are planning on purchasing a square macbook pro I wouldn't get your hopes up.....just my two cents
__________________
13" MBP 2011, 2.4 i5, 8gb RAM, 320 gb HDIBook G4, iPhone 4s black 32gb,iPad 2 32gb
tsmacman is offline   1
Old Aug 1, 2011, 12:38 PM   #16
sporadicMotion
macrumors 65816
 
sporadicMotion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Your girlfriends place
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsmacman View Post
Im surprised no one has noticed this so far but all of the screens on the macbook pro/ airs are rectangular, sure the square root of that whole dimension is 15.61.....but unless you are planning on purchasing a square macbook pro I wouldn't get your hopes up.....just my two cents
Troll bad at math
__________________
your face > /dev/null
sporadicMotion is offline   0
Old Aug 1, 2011, 12:45 PM   #17
bluebermuda
Thread Starter
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsmacman View Post
Im surprised no one has noticed this so far but all of the screens on the macbook pro/ airs are rectangular, sure the square root of that whole dimension is 15.61.....but unless you are planning on purchasing a square macbook pro I wouldn't get your hopes up.....just my two cents
The fact that the MBP and MBA are both rectangular is not material. The calculation is basic math. Unfortunately many Mac users tend to be right brained thus they have a difficult time understanding elemental mathematical concepts. I on the other hand am a polymath, just like Steve Jobs, thus I have highly developed right and left brain hemispheres.
bluebermuda is offline   0
Old Aug 1, 2011, 12:48 PM   #18
bluebermuda
Thread Starter
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by sporadicMotion View Post
Troll bad at math
Oh really, please prove your point. You cannot since you obviously do not have the capacity to understand basic 7 th grade geometry. What a pity.

Read and learn a lesson for today. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pythagorean_theorem

Owned!

Last edited by bluebermuda; Aug 1, 2011 at 12:56 PM.
bluebermuda is offline   0
Old Aug 1, 2011, 12:48 PM   #19
randomrazr
Banned
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebermuda View Post
Random, I would wait since the release of the new light and highly advance MBP is imminent. I would not like to see you make an expensive mistake that you will regret every day for the next 4 years while attending university.

Of course, I can lead a horse to water but I cannot make him drink.
the new macbook pros will not be released until ATLEAST early next year.

i start university this fall and need a computer obviously for college so i dont really want to be without a computer for school for half the semester waiting for new macbook pro's.

the current macbooks are advanced. they boast a quad core processor, GDDR5 graphics cards and option of SSD's. the one i have will have ahigh res 1680 by 1050 display which is pretty nice.

will i regret this purchase when the new ones are released? no. there is notrhing u can do as apple will release new "sh**" every year. just because something new comes out, doesnt mean u have to get it. are your needs going to change using ur old computer compared to a new one? no. as long as it works for you and your satisfied, then theres no need to buy another one. as long as i take care of it, it should last me 4 years of university. by then, technology would have change, and id be due for a new toy LOL

anything you buy these days are out of date the time u open the box and sniff that apple packaging smell LOL
randomrazr is offline   1
Old Aug 1, 2011, 12:49 PM   #20
sporadicMotion
macrumors 65816
 
sporadicMotion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Your girlfriends place
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebermuda View Post
The fact that the MBP and MBA are both rectangular is not material. The calculation is basic math. Unfortunately many Mac users tend to be right brained thus they have a difficult time understanding elemental mathematical concepts. I on the other hand am a polymath, just like Steve Jobs, thus I have highly developed right and left brain hemispheres.
Well perhaps you should start using those hemispheres to start thinking in 3 dimensions. The upper chassis (the screen enclosure) is too thin at the edges for inserting a screen in such a way.

Once again... silly troll
__________________
your face > /dev/null
sporadicMotion is offline   0
Old Aug 1, 2011, 12:51 PM   #21
mystik610
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Is this based on anything material or the fact that you believe a 15" display could fit into the current 13 inch chasis?

Even if they could fit a 15 inch display in the 13 inch MBA chasis, they'd be hard pressed to stick a discrete graphics card, a quad-core processor, the fans necessary to cool these components into a 13 inch MBA's chasis.

There are currently no discrete graphics card or quad-core chips in the market that can fit into an "air" type chasis...all of the intel based ultra-thin laptops are running dual core i7's at best, and there's no indication that anything better is in the works for release in the next 6 months (within the time frame of the rumored MBP redesign).

Without a quad-core processor and discrete graphics card, this said computer would not be a reasonable replacement to the 15 inch MBP. Most MBP 15" and 17" users put more value in function over form....otherwise we'd all be using MBA's, Macbooks, or 13" Macbook Pros.
__________________
15" Macbook Pro:, High Res Glossly, 2.2GHZ i7, AMD Radeon HD 6750M 1GB, 256GB Crucial M4 SSD, 8GB Crucial RAM;
iPad 2: 16gb White;
iPhone 4: 16gb Black
mystik610 is offline   0
Old Aug 1, 2011, 01:08 PM   #22
bluebermuda
Thread Starter
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by sporadicMotion View Post
Well perhaps you should start using those hemispheres to start thinking in 3 dimensions. The upper chassis (the screen enclosure) is too thin at the edges for inserting a screen in such a way.

Once again... silly troll
You are quite wrong but since you do not understand basic math I will give you a C- for effort. You can now return to strumming your guitar since without a basic understanding of math you provide very little of value in a modern economy.
bluebermuda is offline   0
Old Aug 1, 2011, 01:12 PM   #23
sporadicMotion
macrumors 65816
 
sporadicMotion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Your girlfriends place
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebermuda View Post
You are quite wrong but since you do not understand basic math I will give you a C- for effort. You can now return to strumming your guitar since without a basic understanding of math you provide very little of value in a modern economy.
Once again...

Troll makes no sense. I'm done feeding you.
__________________
your face > /dev/null
sporadicMotion is offline   0
Old Aug 1, 2011, 01:13 PM   #24
badtzwang
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebermuda View Post
Oh really, please prove your point. You cannot since you obviously do not have the capacity to understand basic 7 th grade geometry. What a pity.

Read and learn a lesson for today. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pythagorean_theorem

Owned!
I hate to feed a troll ... but want to see what this troll's response would be to his incorrect math.

Assuming a 15.4" screen with a 16 x 10 aspect ratio ...
15.4^2 = (16x)^2 + (10x)^2
237.16 = 256x^2 + 100x^2
237.16 = 356x^2
0.8162 = x

16x = 13.05
10x = 8.162

A 13.05 x 8.162 screen cannot fit within 12.8 x 8.94 (which is your stated dimensions of a 13" MBA). The 13.05 X 8.162 isn't even factoring in any screen bezel and is the size of only the screen itself
badtzwang is offline   1
Old Aug 1, 2011, 01:14 PM   #25
marshallbedsaul
macrumors 6502a
 
marshallbedsaul's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebermuda View Post
I am sorry that you feel that way. Since you are apparently not bothered by owning an old legacy computer, I am sure it will not bother you to watch more astute Mac users, such as myself, enjoying the latest and greatest technology that money can buy.
why on earth would we be bothered by owning a "legacy" computer???
My 2010 macbook pro is awesome I like the size the thickness its all prefect.
and you mentioned heavy give me a break man.
__________________
MBP 15'' 2.53 8gb ram HRAG 16gb White iPhone 4 Blackbook 2.4 4gb
marshallbedsaul is offline   0


Closed Thread
MacRumors Forums > Archive > Wasteland

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Replace 13-inch MBP display with unit from MBA. Johbremat MacBook Pro 1 Feb 13, 2014 07:22 AM
MBA 2013 and MBP Keyboard Size ronton MacBook Air 0 Jul 15, 2013 06:40 PM
From 15 inch MBP to 11 inch MBA youngmac MacBook Air 23 Feb 18, 2013 01:54 AM
Working/stable games for 13-inch Intel HD Graphics MBP/MBA? msh441 MacBook Pro 3 Nov 26, 2012 01:05 AM
Baseline 2011 MBA vs. 2010 13-inch MBP vladobizik MacBook Air 6 Aug 21, 2012 01:48 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:36 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC