Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Archive > Wasteland

Closed Thread

Old Aug 1, 2011, 11:34 AM   #1
bluebermuda
macrumors regular

Talking New MBP 15 inch = same size as MBA 13

The new MBP 15 inch model will have the same physical dimensions and weight as the current MBA 13 inch model due to the fact that Apple will fit a 15 inch screen on the 13 inch chassis.

The current MBA 13 inch model's dimensions are 12.8 x 8.94. 12.8^2 + 8.94^2 = 243.76.

The square root of 243.76 = 15.61 therefore a 15.4 inch screen will easily fit on the smaller chassis. By using edge to edge screen technology, the new MBP will set a new standard for 15 inch computers.

Unfortunately for those that just purchased a new MBA, their computers will soon look quite dated.
bluebermuda is offline   -2
Old Aug 1, 2011, 11:36 AM   #2
randomrazr
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebermuda View Post
The new MBP 15 inch model will have the same physical dimensions and weight as the current MBA 13 inch model due to the fact that Apple will fit a 15 inch screen on the 13 inch chassis.

The current MBA 13 inch model's dimensions are 12.8 x 8.94. 12.8^2 + 8.94^2 = 243.76.

The square root of 243.76 = 15.61 therefore a 15.4 inch screen will easily fit on the smaller chassis. By using edge to edge screen technology, the new MBP will set a new standard for 15 inch computers.

Unfortunately for those that just purchased a new MBA, their computers will soon look quite dated.
theres a differnece between a macbook "air" and a macbook "pro"

none the less we wont see any new macbook pro until early next year. it was just released back in february, which really wasnt that long ago.

for all we know, apple might screw us again witha spec bump LOL
randomrazr is offline   1
Old Aug 1, 2011, 11:51 AM   #3
sporadicMotion
macrumors 65816

Quote:

Welcome to modern computing. Ready for this?

Everything you buy today will be "outdated" in 6 months. It doesn't mean it's suddenly a bad computer. Silly boy.
Old Aug 1, 2011, 11:56 AM   #4
bluebermuda
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by randomrazr View Post
theres a differnece between a macbook "air" and a macbook "pro"

none the less we wont see any new macbook pro until early next year. it was just released back in february, which really wasnt that long ago.

for all we know, apple might screw us again witha spec bump LOL
Of course there is a difference between a MBA and a MBP. The new 15 inch MBP will simply fit in the smaller 13 inch MBA chassis. It will of course be quad core as opposed to the MBA which is duel core.

The February MBP release was not a "real" release do to the fact that it was composed of minor improvements on the old, thick, heavy and dated MBP chassis, hence the normal update cycle is not applicable.

I sold my 2010 MBP and I would advise others to sell their MBP's in advance of the inevitable price collapse for the old legacy models.
bluebermuda is offline   -2
Old Aug 1, 2011, 12:01 PM   #5
sporadicMotion
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Of course there is a difference between a MBA and a MBP. The new 15 inch MBP will simply fit in the smaller 13 inch MBA chassis. It will of course be quad core as opposed to the MBA which is duel core.
Are you talking about the foot print dimensions or just the thickness of the machine?

Quote:
The February MBP release was not a "real" release do to the fact that it was composed of minor improvements on the old, thick, heavy and dated MBP chassis, hence the normal update cycle is not applicable.
Huh? That was a pretty typical Apple release. Look at previous incarnations. The physical characteristics rarely change. The next will most likely but the previous was no less of an update than the ones before.

Quote:
I sold my 2010 MBP and I would advise others to sell their MBP's in advance of the inevitable price collapse for the old legacy models.
That's just silly. You sold a laptop in anticipation of a machine that could take 6 months to arrive?

Please don't give anymore advice.
Old Aug 1, 2011, 12:01 PM   #6
Manacit
macrumors member

Probability of Troll: 90%

Be advised everyone.
Old Aug 1, 2011, 12:05 PM   #7
jgz
macrumors regular

Quote:
where did you read that?!
jgz is offline   0
Old Aug 1, 2011, 12:07 PM   #8
bluebermuda
macrumors regular

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by sporadicMotion View Post
Welcome to modern computing. Ready for this?

Everything you buy today will be "outdated" in 6 months. It doesn't mean it's suddenly a bad computer. Silly boy.
Of course the current MBP is not a "bad" computer, it was a great computer in its day however it is now a dated, heavy old computer from another era. Things change which is why it is incumbent for the educated consumer to be attentive and not purchase technology late in the cycle.
bluebermuda is offline   0
Old Aug 1, 2011, 12:14 PM   #9
sporadicMotion
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Of course the current MBP is not a "bad" computer, it was a great computer in its day however it is now a dated, heavy old computer from another era. Things change which is why it is incumbent for the educated consumer to be attentive and not purchase technology late in the cycle.
You make no sense.

Confirmed Troll
Old Aug 1, 2011, 12:18 PM   #10
bluebermuda
macrumors regular

Talking

Quote:
Are you talking about the foot print dimensions or just the thickness of the machine?

Huh? That was a pretty typical Apple release. Look at previous incarnations. The physical characteristics rarely change. The next will most likely but the previous was no less of an update than the ones before.

That's just silly. You sold a laptop in anticipation of a machine that could take 6 months to arrive?

Please don't give anymore advice.
It should be intuitively obvious to anyone that has completed basic 7 th grade geometry that I am referring to the footprint. You are aware of the Pythagorean theorem?
Old Aug 1, 2011, 12:24 PM   #11
randomrazr
Banned

Quote:

the new 15inch macbook will still be larger than th e current 13inch air. it has more powerful specs you still need a frame around the screen for structural support.

i dont think the macbook pro design is outdated. its been running for about 3 years now and for good reason, no other manufacturer has yet to provide a similar quality build machine. even when u compare it to other current laptops, they still cant entirely match the unibody solid design and the simplicity of the look of the macbook pro. even if we do see a change, its clear apple will keep a similar looking theme, theres no reason for them to slag the entire design and go different route.

in terms of the "legacy price collaspe". when the new machines are released, of course the older macbooks will drop in value, but huge. macbooks are the best computers to retain the majority of there value, and selling ur old 2010 macbook pro to wait for a release that won't come till atleast early next year is stupid. im going to get the macbook pro 15 anti glare edition and im pumped to get it and i know it will last me 4 years of university .
randomrazr is offline   0
Old Aug 1, 2011, 12:25 PM   #12
bluebermuda
macrumors regular

Talking

Quote:
You make no sense.

Confirmed Troll
I am sorry that you feel that way. Since you are apparently not bothered by owning an old legacy computer, I am sure it will not bother you to watch more astute Mac users, such as myself, enjoying the latest and greatest technology that money can buy.
Old Aug 1, 2011, 12:31 PM   #13
Epic Xbox Revie
macrumors 6502a

I LOL'd at this thread.
Old Aug 1, 2011, 12:32 PM   #14
bluebermuda
macrumors regular

Talking

Random, I would wait since the release of the new light and highly advance MBP is imminent. I would not like to see you make an expensive mistake that you will regret every day for the next 4 years while attending university.

Of course, I can lead a horse to water but I cannot make him drink.
Old Aug 1, 2011, 12:37 PM   #15
tsmacman
macrumors member

Quote:
It should be intuitively obvious to anyone that has completed basic 7 th grade geometry that I am referring to the footprint. You are aware of the Pythagorean theorem?
Im surprised no one has noticed this so far but all of the screens on the macbook pro/ airs are rectangular, sure the square root of that whole dimension is 15.61.....but unless you are planning on purchasing a square macbook pro I wouldn't get your hopes up.....just my two cents
Old Aug 1, 2011, 12:38 PM   #16
sporadicMotion
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsmacman View Post
Im surprised no one has noticed this so far but all of the screens on the macbook pro/ airs are rectangular, sure the square root of that whole dimension is 15.61.....but unless you are planning on purchasing a square macbook pro I wouldn't get your hopes up.....just my two cents
Troll bad at math
Old Aug 1, 2011, 12:45 PM   #17
bluebermuda
macrumors regular

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsmacman View Post
The fact that the MBP and MBA are both rectangular is not material. The calculation is basic math. Unfortunately many Mac users tend to be right brained thus they have a difficult time understanding elemental mathematical concepts. I on the other hand am a polymath, just like Steve Jobs, thus I have highly developed right and left brain hemispheres.
Old Aug 1, 2011, 12:48 PM   #18
bluebermuda
macrumors regular

Talking

Quote:
Troll bad at math
Oh really, please prove your point. You cannot since you obviously do not have the capacity to understand basic 7 th grade geometry. What a pity.

Read and learn a lesson for today. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pythagorean_theorem

Owned!

Last edited by bluebermuda; Aug 1, 2011 at 12:56 PM.
Old Aug 1, 2011, 12:48 PM   #19
randomrazr
Banned

Quote:
Random, I would wait since the release of the new light and highly advance MBP is imminent. I would not like to see you make an expensive mistake that you will regret every day for the next 4 years while attending university.

Of course, I can lead a horse to water but I cannot make him drink.
the new macbook pros will not be released until ATLEAST early next year.

i start university this fall and need a computer obviously for college so i dont really want to be without a computer for school for half the semester waiting for new macbook pro's.

the current macbooks are advanced. they boast a quad core processor, GDDR5 graphics cards and option of SSD's. the one i have will have ahigh res 1680 by 1050 display which is pretty nice.

will i regret this purchase when the new ones are released? no. there is notrhing u can do as apple will release new "sh**" every year. just because something new comes out, doesnt mean u have to get it. are your needs going to change using ur old computer compared to a new one? no. as long as it works for you and your satisfied, then theres no need to buy another one. as long as i take care of it, it should last me 4 years of university. by then, technology would have change, and id be due for a new toy LOL

anything you buy these days are out of date the time u open the box and sniff that apple packaging smell LOL
randomrazr is offline   1
Old Aug 1, 2011, 12:49 PM   #20
sporadicMotion
macrumors 65816

Quote:
The fact that the MBP and MBA are both rectangular is not material. The calculation is basic math. Unfortunately many Mac users tend to be right brained thus they have a difficult time understanding elemental mathematical concepts. I on the other hand am a polymath, just like Steve Jobs, thus I have highly developed right and left brain hemispheres.
Well perhaps you should start using those hemispheres to start thinking in 3 dimensions. The upper chassis (the screen enclosure) is too thin at the edges for inserting a screen in such a way.

Once again... silly troll
Old Aug 1, 2011, 12:51 PM   #21
mystik610
macrumors regular

Is this based on anything material or the fact that you believe a 15" display could fit into the current 13 inch chasis?

Even if they could fit a 15 inch display in the 13 inch MBA chasis, they'd be hard pressed to stick a discrete graphics card, a quad-core processor, the fans necessary to cool these components into a 13 inch MBA's chasis.

There are currently no discrete graphics card or quad-core chips in the market that can fit into an "air" type chasis...all of the intel based ultra-thin laptops are running dual core i7's at best, and there's no indication that anything better is in the works for release in the next 6 months (within the time frame of the rumored MBP redesign).

Without a quad-core processor and discrete graphics card, this said computer would not be a reasonable replacement to the 15 inch MBP. Most MBP 15" and 17" users put more value in function over form....otherwise we'd all be using MBA's, Macbooks, or 13" Macbook Pros.
mystik610 is offline   0
Old Aug 1, 2011, 01:08 PM   #22
bluebermuda
macrumors regular

Talking

Quote:
Well perhaps you should start using those hemispheres to start thinking in 3 dimensions. The upper chassis (the screen enclosure) is too thin at the edges for inserting a screen in such a way.

Once again... silly troll
You are quite wrong but since you do not understand basic math I will give you a C- for effort. You can now return to strumming your guitar since without a basic understanding of math you provide very little of value in a modern economy.
Old Aug 1, 2011, 01:12 PM   #23
sporadicMotion
macrumors 65816

Quote:
You are quite wrong but since you do not understand basic math I will give you a C- for effort. You can now return to strumming your guitar since without a basic understanding of math you provide very little of value in a modern economy.
Once again...

Troll makes no sense. I'm done feeding you.
Old Aug 1, 2011, 01:13 PM   #24
badtzwang
macrumors regular

Quote:
Oh really, please prove your point. You cannot since you obviously do not have the capacity to understand basic 7 th grade geometry. What a pity.

Read and learn a lesson for today. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pythagorean_theorem

Owned!
I hate to feed a troll ... but want to see what this troll's response would be to his incorrect math.

Assuming a 15.4" screen with a 16 x 10 aspect ratio ...
15.4^2 = (16x)^2 + (10x)^2
237.16 = 256x^2 + 100x^2
237.16 = 356x^2
0.8162 = x

16x = 13.05
10x = 8.162

A 13.05 x 8.162 screen cannot fit within 12.8 x 8.94 (which is your stated dimensions of a 13" MBA). The 13.05 X 8.162 isn't even factoring in any screen bezel and is the size of only the screen itself
badtzwang is offline   1
Old Aug 1, 2011, 01:14 PM   #25
marshallbedsaul
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
I am sorry that you feel that way. Since you are apparently not bothered by owning an old legacy computer, I am sure it will not bother you to watch more astute Mac users, such as myself, enjoying the latest and greatest technology that money can buy.
why on earth would we be bothered by owning a "legacy" computer???
My 2010 macbook pro is awesome I like the size the thickness its all prefect.
and you mentioned heavy give me a break man.

Closed Thread
MacRumors Forums > Archive > Wasteland