Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ranny2

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 9, 2011
Hi, I am in the early stages of buying my first Mac computer.

I currently have an iPad, which I love! I use it for everything from web browsing to email management.

I have now decided to buy a Mac for more intensive tasks such as photo and video editing and document editing.

My options are:
MacBook Pro: dual core i5, 4Gb RAM, 320Gb HDD
I do NOT need this for portability, so it would sit on my desk the whole time.
Price = £850

Mac Mini: dual core i5, 4Gb RAM, 500Gb HDD
I would also buy the Apple keyboard and mouse and a monitorn
Price = £730

iMac: quad core i5, 4Gb RAM, 500Gb HDD
Price = £850

Please note, the prices are based on Apple Refurbished prices.
Also, if you have any other suggestions, I would love to hear them.

Last edited:

will waters

macrumors regular
Jul 19, 2011
Great Britain
iMac

Go for the iMac, it is an all in one, you have a monitor, a much more powerfull processor and much more powerful graphics, you also have a big HDD. You also do not have to pay extra for a keyboard and mouse as it is all included.

You could use the Mac mini this would not be a bad choice however do not get the MBP it is designed for portability and not designed for what you have in mind

Go for the iMac you will not be disappointed.

Hope this is helpfull

ranny2

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 9, 2011
Thanks for the suggestions. I would like to point out a couple of things though:

I will do so little video editing, I'm talking once every two months or something. Photo editing will be more fequent at about once a week.

Also, this will NOT be my primary machine. My iPad is my primary machine (please don't judge me... I love my iPad for the majority of the things I will ever do)

noodleyhead

macrumors member
Jun 29, 2011
Sesame Street
The iMac is great especially since you dont need it for portability.
But, if you have no other laptop and might need one sometime in the future, I would get a MacBook Pro.

Young Spade

macrumors 68020
Mar 31, 2011
Tallahassee, Florida
iMac. Both the MBP and Mini are going to be restricted in the performance department due to size. The iMac was made to sit on a desk and, aside from the Mac Pro, is the best desktop device; if you aren't moving it anyway.

ranny2

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 9, 2011
Wow! It's pretty clear which one to buy! iMac it is. Thanks everyone - you can always trust the MacRumors forum to get you a decent answer! :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.