Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

panzer06

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Sep 23, 2006
Kilrath
I'm thing of upgrading my 24" to a 27" 2010. I have the Alienware gaming laptop and would like to use the iMac display for gaming.

Is anyone doing this as a reliable gaming screen?

Cheers,

SawceBaws

macrumors member
Aug 1, 2011
I don't think thats possible. You'd probably be better buying a Cinema Display and keeping your current iMac.

panzer06

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Sep 23, 2006
Kilrath
I don't think thats possible. You'd probably be better buying a Cinema Display and keeping your current iMac.

This is what Apple's website says for the refurb 2010 model:

Video : Built-in iSight camera; Mini DisplayPort output with support for DVI, dual-link DVI, and VGA video (requires adapters, sold separately); supports input from external DisplayPort sources (requires cables and adapters, sold separately)

My Alienware M17xR3 has a mini-displayport connector so based on the above statement I should just be able to connect to the iMac input. I just wondered if anyone had actually used this method.

Cheers,

panzer06

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Sep 23, 2006
Kilrath
Hmmm, I guess that's why they felt eliminating this functionality on the 2011 models was no big deal ... hardly anyone was using it.

It seems great to me.

Cheers,

AbeFroman77

macrumors 6502
May 29, 2010
I know a few people using the 2009 and 2010 iMacs as an external display for PCs and Gaming Consoles.

panzer06

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Sep 23, 2006
Kilrath
I know a few people using the 2009 and 2010 iMacs as an external display for PCs and Gaming Consoles.

That's great. Was it as simple as using a mini-dp to mini-dp cable? can u also use min-dp to hdmi adapters with a standard hdmi cable?

Cheers,

panzer06

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Sep 23, 2006
Kilrath
That's great. Was it as simple as using a mini-dp to mini-dp cable? can u also use min-dp to hdmi adapters with a standard hdmi cable?

Cheers,

OK, finally bought a 2010 iMac and used the mini-DP to mini-DP cable to connect my Alienware M17xR3 and it works great. All the programs and processes I have running on the Mac keep running and all my Windows games are played on this beautiful 27" display.

It's very sad Apple took that functionality away on the 2011 models but I guess hardly anyone used it.

Cheers,

obsidian1200

macrumors 6502
Jun 19, 2010
Albuquerque, NM
OK, finally bought a 2010 iMac and used the mini-DP to mini-DP cable to connect my Alienware M17xR3 and it works great. All the programs and processes I have running on the Mac keep running and all my Windows games are played on this beautiful 27" display.

It's very sad Apple took that functionality away on the 2011 models but I guess hardly anyone used it.

Cheers,

That's great you got the MDP-MDP connection working :) have you by any chance tried using a MDP-HDMI connection with target display mode? If not, I'll have a chance later this week, as my 2010 iMac is due to come any day now and I already have the adapter and HDMI cable :)

Also, it's sad that Apple took the MDP compatibility away, however there are third party sources working to make it so that you can use an HDMI source with the newer display. The problem is, more or less, the target display mode's capability has been limited to work with thunderbolt-equipped devices only. It's still there, but just much more limited than before.

panzer06

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Sep 23, 2006
Kilrath
That's great you got the MDP-MDP connection working :) have you by any chance tried using a MDP-HDMI connection with target display mode? If not, I'll have a chance later this week, as my 2010 iMac is due to come any day now and I already have the adapter and HDMI cable :)

Also, it's sad that Apple took the MDP compatibility away, however there are third party sources working to make it so that you can use an HDMI source with the newer display. The problem is, more or less, the target display mode's capability has been limited to work with thunderbolt-equipped devices only. It's still there, but just much more limited than before.

Hmmm, since both systems have MDP I never considered using my MDP-HDMI adapter. I can test it if you'd like.

EDIT, that's a no go on the HDMI cable connected to MDP-HDMI adapter (at least the one I own).

Cheers,

Last edited:

obsidian1200

macrumors 6502
Jun 19, 2010
Albuquerque, NM
Hmmm, since both systems have MDP I never considered using my MDP/HDMI adapter. I can test it if you'd like.

Cheers,

Oh don't sweat it :) I was just curious if the video signal would work without using a converter. I'll go ahead and give it a go tomorrow or the next day and come back to report. Based on what I've read, however, I'll probably end up having to invest in something a little more pricy than the adapter :(

Edit: ah, I figured as much would happen. Thanks for trying! :)

Last edited:

panzer06

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Sep 23, 2006
Kilrath
Oh don't sweat it :) I was just curious if the video signal would work without using a converter. I'll go ahead and give it a go tomorrow or the next day and come back to report. Based on what I've read, however, I'll probably end up having to invest in something a little more pricy than the adapter :(

Edit: ah, I figured as much would happen. Thanks for trying! :)

That really stinks because I've read those converters may or may not let you access the full resolution of the display. Best of luck to you!

The ATI 6990 in the Alienware runs the full resolution quite well.

Cheers,

jsolares

macrumors 6502a
Aug 8, 2011
Land of eternal Spring
Hmmm, I guess that's why they felt eliminating this functionality on the 2011 models was no big deal ... hardly anyone was using it.

It seems great to me.

Cheers,

Cheers,

They didn't actually took it away, it's just that now instead of MDP to MDP you need it to be TB to TB, and only the newest apple laptops support TB

panzer06

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Sep 23, 2006
Kilrath
They didn't actually took it away, it's just that now instead of MDP to MDP you need it to be TB to TB, and only the newest apple laptops support TB

Er, yeah they removed, took away, eliminated or discontinued the more widely supported target display mode for Displayport capable devices; replacing said functionality with a currently Apple only target display mode TB only capability.

In my world that's taking something away, buy hey that's just me. :rolleyes:

Cheers,

jsolares

macrumors 6502a
Aug 8, 2011
Land of eternal Spring
Er, yeah they removed, took away, eliminated or discontinued the more widely supported target display mode for Displayport capable devices; replacing said functionality with a currently Apple only target display mode TB only capability.

In my world that's taking something away, buy hey that's just me. :rolleyes:

Cheers,

They removed the ability to use mDP not the entire functionality tho, the price of progress and all that, i wonder if it was deliberate or a by-product of TB.

I wonder how much the adapters will cost, kinda like the kanex hdmi one for the current displays, then you'll get it back but at what cost.

obsidian1200

macrumors 6502
Jun 19, 2010
Albuquerque, NM
That really stinks because I've read those converters may or may not let you access the full resolution of the display. Best of luck to you!

The ATI 6990 in the Alienware runs the full resolution quite well.

Cheers,

Thanks, and yes, from what I'm reading, I'll only be able to get a 720p resolution, which is just fine for the gaming I do :) I'll eventually get an external blu ray drive for the iMac for blu ray, so I don't mind being limited to the gaming resolutions. Plus, the converters are dropping in price because they're not compatible with TB equipped Macs.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.