Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

allanj56

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 21, 2011
I'm a smart guy, equity partner largest law firm in world, top 10% grad top 10 law school in US etc etc I can't work this Lion, too many disappearing windows, too many corners, no way to find my way back, task bar doesn't work anymore, can't find my outlook, can't open multiple screens of safari, just plain unhappy about my experience and wanting snow leopard back...sorry, i should be more progressive and advanced...this thing just trips me up, i am not smart enough to keep up, how is everyone else doing it??

hcho3

macrumors 68030
May 13, 2010
I am not sure what is your school and smart thing has to do with Lion.

Lion is a software that has been released to general public for less than 2 weeks. Everyone is newbie here.

thermodynamic

Suspended
May 3, 2009
USA
I'm a smart guy, equity partner largest law firm in world, top 10% grad top 10 law school in US etc etc I can't work this Lion, too many disappearing windows, too many corners, no way to find my way back, task bar doesn't work anymore, can't find my outlook, can't open multiple screens of safari, just plain unhappy about my experience and wanting snow leopard back...sorry, i should be more progressive and advanced...this thing just trips me up, i am not smart enough to keep up, how is everyone else doing it??

"Outlook"?

Um, the Mac version of Microsoft's email reader is known as "Entourage". Unless you're referring to OS X's integrated email client, which is not known as "Outlook", either... there is one possibility, but I won't give any hints and I'll allude as to why:

You really must be in one heck of a prestigious law firm, and in a field that demands meticulous attention to detail. And yet you can't get the name of an application right... Never mind your appallingly poor grammatical skill... Are you really that stressed, despite being in a profession where showing the slightest inkling of stress would get the opposing lawyer to have a field day? So, regarding your claim, may we have some references, notarized, and two forms of ID?

Blue Sun

macrumors 6502a
Feb 11, 2009
Australia
"Outlook"?

Um, the Mac version of Microsoft's email reader is known as "Entourage". Unless you're referring to OS X's integrated email client, which is not known as "Outlook", either... there is one possibility, but I won't give any hints and I'll allude as to why:

You really must be in one heck of a prestigious law firm, and in a field that demands meticulous attention to detail. And yet you can't get the name of an application right... Never mind your appallingly poor grammatical skill... Are you really that stressed, despite being in a profession where showing the slightest inkling of stress would get the opposing lawyer to have a field day? So, regarding your claim, may we have some references, notarized, and two forms of ID?

Outlook is Microsofts email client and is available on the Mac via Office for Mac 2011.

Entourage came with Office for Mac 2008 IIRC.

wpotere

Oct 7, 2010
"Outlook"?

Nice, so you insult the guy only to find you have egg on your face. :rolleyes:

I agree that there are a lot of things in Lion that I am getting tired of myself. My finder window preferences keep changing as well. I may shift back to SL until it matures a little.

gentlefury

macrumors 68030
Jul 21, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
"Outlook"?

WTF is entourage?? The Mac Mail app is simply called Mail. If the OP is referring to Office 2011 it doesn't work on Lion.

wpotere

Oct 7, 2010
WTF is entourage?? The Mac Mail app is simply called Mail. If the OP is referring to Office 2011 it doesn't work on Lion.

What are you talking about? Office 2011 works fine on my Mac (there is a little lag but it works) and it comes with OUTLOOK! Entourage was what Outlook was called in the previous version.

gr8tfly

macrumors 603
Oct 29, 2006
~119W 34N
1. Don't use LaunchPad
2. Don't use FullScreen mode.

3. Use Lion.

At this point, Finder is still Finder and Safari is still Safari. Both have some new options; the Finder (and all windows) have some new UI features to provide a clean, uncluttered experience. Those can be turned off or on as you like (like hiding scrollbars).

Otherwise, Finder and Safari can be used virtually the same as they could in SL. I have Safari and Finder setup exactly the same as in SL, with the exception of the new sidebar design in Finder. I like the new clean window look and have adjusted to the new scrolling direction - which can be turned off.

I just fail to see how you can be so lost as to not be able to open multiple Safari pages - nothing in Safari has change regarding new windows or tabs.

The Dock (not Taskbar) works the same as SL, too (though some of the options when you right or click and hold on the icon have changed). If the Dock is hiding itself, turn off the feature (though it should have the same setting as SL did)

tigres

macrumors 601
Aug 31, 2007
Land of the Free-Waiting for Term Limits
"Outlook"?

You two are batting 1k. Play for the Cubs by chance?

tom5304

macrumors regular
May 7, 2005
I get the OP's point that he is an educated, intelligent person, and this broke-dick operating system "upgrade" called Lion has him feeling baffled and confused.

I, too, keep falling into the Apple Reality Distortion Field. I find myself thinking I must be doing something wrong because how can there be anything wrong with the OS because Apple made it and released it and Apple doesn't make or release defective products.

I've finally come to the conclusion that OSX just plain sucks. It works fine for some people, maybe even most people, but it works like crap for me. I'm running a Core 2 Duo iMac that has nothing unusual or complicated installed. I'm not doing anything wrong. My iMac isn't doing anything wrong (after all, it runs Snow Leopard like a champ).

OSX Lion is wrong, not you. When you let that sink in, you'll realize the best thing to do is revert back to Snow Leopard and be happy once more.

d0ster

macrumors regular
May 3, 2011
1. Don't use LaunchPad

Whats wrong with Launchpad? I actually like it, keeps my dock clean since I can just close swipe then have all my apps.

To the OP, as with anything new, itll take some time to get acclimated to the nuances of Lion. When Liger comes out, you'll be saying the same thing :p

gr8tfly

macrumors 603
Oct 29, 2006
~119W 34N
Whats wrong with Launchpad? I actually like it, keeps my dock clean since I can just close swipe then have all my apps.

To the OP, as with anything new, itll take some time to get acclimated to the nuances of Lion. When Liger comes out, you'll be saying the same thing :p

Nothing's inherently wrong with LaunchPad. Some people will love it, some won't. I'm neutral as far as the love/hate thing goes - I just don't need it.

Anyway, I was trying to remove any of the new Lion features from the "getting lost" equation for the OP.

HawaiiMacAddict

macrumors 6502a
Dec 28, 2006
On one of my Macs of course
I get the OP's point that he is an educated, intelligent person, and this broke-dick operating system "upgrade" called Lion has him feeling baffled and confused.

I, too, keep falling into the Apple Reality Distortion Field. I find myself thinking I must be doing something wrong because how can there be anything wrong with the OS because Apple made it and released it and Apple doesn't make or release defective products.

I've finally come to the conclusion that OSX just plain sucks. It works fine for some people, maybe even most people, but it works like crap for me. I'm running a Core 2 Duo iMac that has nothing unusual or complicated installed. I'm not doing anything wrong. My iMac isn't doing anything wrong (after all, it runs Snow Leopard like a champ).

OSX Lion is wrong, not you. When you let that sink in, you'll realize the best thing to do is revert back to Snow Leopard and be happy once more.

While that may be true for you, the resounding majority of Lion users are quite happy with their experience. They obviously are using Lion and not posting here.

Here's a suggestion - do what I did and do nuke and pave. I backed up everything I wanted to keep, then did a clean install of Snow Leopard. I installed the 10.6.8 combo update, then upgraded to Lion. I have only a few strange issues, but they are ALL with 3rd party apps (Hardware Growler and Geektool, to name a couple), and not with Lion. Of course, there a couple of things I wish would work differently, such as naming individual desktops in Mission Control, but I really, really like using Lion. In fact, there are no issues on the five MacBook Pros and one iMac on which I've installed Lion. My nieces could not be happier with their "new" computers.

I don't want to suggest that "you're doing it wrong," but .....

Lion is most certainly not "wrong," but if you're happy with Snow Leopard, just go with that and let the happy Lion users continue to use Lion.

ks-man

macrumors 6502a
Sep 25, 2007
Mission Control is still my biggest issue with Lion. I loved how Spaces worked and always knew where my applications were and how to get to them quickly. I now find myself swiping all over the place to try and find the right application and if I open up Mission Control I have to squint to try and recognize which desktop the application I want is on. I'm not going to downgrade to SL but I really think Mission Control is a big step back from Expose' and Spaces and I have no idea what the developers were thinking.

HawaiiMacAddict

macrumors 6502a
Dec 28, 2006
On one of my Macs of course
ks-man,

I feel ya on the Mission Control thing, but I've taken the approach that Apple obviously has something in the works and Mission Control, as it is right now, is in an interim state. We will eventually see where Apple is heading - we're just not there yet. I had nine screens and really liked being able to see all nine and drag application windows from one space to another.

I have a Magic Trackpad, however, and really am getting to like Lion more and more - I LOVE multitouch and how prevalent it is in Lion. Of course, when I go to work and have to use PCs, ...... To use a word from Steve Jobs - YUCK! It is almost painful to use Windows after having used Lion.

That being said, I wish there was an easier way to get apps, not in /Applications, in Launch Pad. I am a developer and put the beta SDKs in their own folder, so the beta apps didn't originally show up in Launch Pad. I ended up creating aliases in /Application so that I could use them with Launch Pad. I really like the iOS paradigm Apple is using there. I can simply use a gesture, locate the correct folder for the app I want to use, then click to open. I show my coworkers how nice it is to work in Lion and they all salivate, except the one "serious gamer," who constantly opines about the lackluster GPU and CPU of Macs .....

topmounter

macrumors 68030
Jun 18, 2009
FEMA Region VIII
I read all the negative end-of-the-world comments about Lion and as an avid Spaces user, I got scared and only installed it on my MBA. So I played with it for a week, learned how it worked as compared to SL, waited for the appropriate 3rd party software updates and finally realized that Lion is fine.

So I installed it on my iMac today and the only thing that continues to annoy me is that Full Screen mode in Safari and iTunes turns my 24" Cinema Display into an expensive frame for a piece of grey felt, while Full Screen mode in Chrome leaves my second display intact and useable.

btw: There are some foot-in-the-mouth funny replies in this thread :D

handel30

macrumors member
Jul 25, 2011
Miami, Florida
Mission Control is still my biggest issue with Lion. I loved how Spaces worked and always knew where my applications were and how to get to them quickly. I now find myself swiping all over the place to try and find the right application and if I open up Mission Control I have to squint to try and recognize which desktop the application I want is on. I'm not going to downgrade to SL but I really think Mission Control is a big step back from Expose' and Spaces and I have no idea what the developers were thinking.

I had a problem with Mission Control at first because it groups my windows by applications, and the windows are stacked on top of each other and hard to get at and sort if you have several of them open. But then I discovered how you can set the trackpad to expose, all windows visible just like before. So now I like the fact that Mission Control stacks the windows; otherwise, it would be way too cluttered. If I want to expose all windows in a given app, I simply swipe down with four fingers.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.