Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PreetinderBajwa

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 30, 2009
HK
Hi !

Caption subject - don't try it - unless you are OK leave your beloved MBA for a day or more (depending on the data to be backed up size/or time machine disk size)

I got a new MBA 13" and started a time machine backup first time last night. I have only 70GB data on the MBA and used an external 750GB WD disk (450 GB partition for Time Machine and 300 GB for Carbon Copy Cloner) for the backup. You can ever be too safe !

When I started time machine dialogue asked me if I wanted to encrypt the backup and since its a portable disk which I carry, I said yes :mad: ........

After 8 hour only 5:eek:% of it was completed. There is no option to cancel and resume later, effectively the mahine is occupied till the whole thing finishes:eek:.... and I hope its only the first time backup issue, and it doesn't happen everytime a backup is created.:rolleyes:

Just a heads up, incase someone else is planning to use the encryption:eek::D

Last edited:

Rusty33

macrumors 6502
Jul 8, 2011
Australia
Hi !

Caption subject - don't try it - unless you are OK leave your beloved MBA for a day or more (depending on the data to be backed up size/or time machine disk size)

I got a new MBA 13" and started a time machine backup first time last night. I have only 70GB data on the MBA and used an external 750GB WD disk (450 GB partition for Time Machine and 300 GB for Carbon Copy Cloner) for the backup. You can ever be too safe !

When I started time machine dialogue asked me if I wanted to encrypt the backup and since its a portable disk which I carry, I said yes :mad: ........

After 8 hour only 5:eek:% of it was completed. There is no option to cancel and resume later, effectively the mahine is occupied till the whole thing finishes:eek:.... and I hope its only the first time backup issue, and it doesn't happen everytime a backup is created.:rolleyes:

Just a heads up, incase someone else is planning to use the encryption:eek::D

You must be having some sort of problem. I encrypted my external 250GB WD hard disk (with about 150GB worth of data) in about 3 hours.

Also, FYI - each subsequent backup is instantanious....no long waits.

PreetinderBajwa

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 30, 2009
HK
You must be having some sort of problem. I encrypted my external 250GB WD hard disk (with about 150GB worth of data) in about 3 hours.

Also, FYI - each subsequent backup is instantanious....no long waits.

Thanks Rusty, Initially I thought something must be wrong, so let me cancel and restart but there is no such option. I guess encrypting 450 GB partition on the 2011 MBA might be slower than your set up.

d0ster

macrumors regular
May 3, 2011
I tried to encrypt my Time Machine backup also and it took a long time, in fact it never completed. My WD Elements external HD will un-mount itself after a certain period of time but it will continue to encrypt where it left off once I unplug and plug it back in. It will back-up just fine with no encryption. Anyone have any suggestions?

I tried it with Caffeine running and still nothing. Tried different USB ports. I also have "Put hard disk(s) to sleep when possible" unchecked in System Prefrences->Energy Saver.

Sorry to thread jack.

Last edited:

kraven

macrumors newbie
Dec 17, 2008
Update: Nevermind. It's actually not a sparse bundle which is good.

I formatted my external hard drive to mac os extended journal encrypted. So that you need a password to use the drive. And I wanted to set a time machine backup to it that wasn't encrypted so that I'm able to locate files easier without a sparse bundle in Finder. It doesn't work. Or am I doing something wrong?

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.