Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

krossfyter

macrumors 601
Jan 13, 2002
secret city
i thought they did not know yet wither it was weapons grade or naturally occuring uranium. anyways... they are suppose to find out Monday whats up. 5 million dollars worth if it is the real deal. 35 pounds of it too... the bomb dropped on hiroshima was 55 pounds of uranium.

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
who's saying grams? That amount of uranium wouldn't amount to much, 33 pounds is much more likely. And if that had made its way to Iraq, bastards. Who knows if this is just one of many shipments....

D

mischief

macrumors 68030
Aug 1, 2001
Santa Cruz Ca
poop.

I suppose this means we'll have to blast the living **** outta everything from Istanbul to Ethiopia to halt this madness. This is proof that the whole Nuclear Deterrant strategy wasn't worth the money: It just distracted the world from seeing how bad the proliferation problem really seems to be. I'll be hiding on a south Pacific island for a few years if anybody needs me......

Wash!!

macrumors 6502
Jan 8, 2002
here, there, who knows
The problem is religions

See the world since the beging of of recorded history is been always been kill everybody that does not belive in "my" religion.

The chatolics hate the protestant, and jewish at the same token the muslan hate everydoby "DAMM those infidels" [sarcasem}

In south america for sample the Colombias civil war they have was started by the mormons (speling?) and it has turn into protect the Drug trade that the US and Europe keep buying.

So I say just say "borron y cuenta nueva" it means purge everything and star again.
give a space shutle and supplies and I'll take my chances on Mars and watch the earht blow up from there.

peace

big

macrumors 65816
Feb 20, 2002
Unfortunatly God promised he'd never wipe out the Earth again, I guess he knew we'd do it our selves

oh- and the meek shall inherit the Earth

Hemingray

macrumors 68030
Jan 9, 2002
Ha ha haaa!
Originally posted by Wash!!
See the world since the beging of of recorded history is been always been kill everybody that does not belive in "my" religion.

Some religions that did so way back when have matured/evolved (depending on how you look at it) and no longer find it necessary to kill the "heathens" that don't happen to believe what they do. Here in the U.S. you are much less likely to see someone die for their beliefs than in parts of China or Afghanistan, for example.

We are extremely fortunate.

TMay

macrumors 68000
Dec 24, 2001
Carson City, NV
...here's the CNN followup story...

"About out blasting you off the face of the earth for transporting fissile material".
"Sorry, our mistake".

Hardly anybody gets the story right early on. Give it a good 24 hours for some decent journalists to sort it out.

In this case it was 5 grams of material, not even known if it was weapons grade, or even uranium ore.

They did let the idiots go, (probably with little tiny transmitters on them).

job

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 25, 2002
in transit
I thought it was interesting that the picture of the evidence showed the words "Made in W. Germany" on the side of the container..

Heh. How's that for irony..

Wash!!

macrumors 6502
Jan 8, 2002
here, there, who knows
Still true now

Quote:
Hemingray
"Some religions that did so way back when have matured/evolved (depending on how you look at it) and no longer find it necessary to kill the "heathens" that don't happen to believe what they do. Here in the U.S. you are much less likely to see someone die for their beliefs than in parts of China or Afghanistan, for example.

We are extremely fortunate."

Yeah some have change but the bast mojority still think the same. And the US is turning more and more as the world police.
I'l just sit thight and wait for the space ship to land ;)

Ps How do you put quotes in replys?

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
It looks like it was 140 grams, or 5 oz. They couldn't hold the idiots because of lack of evidence, so they let them go (what constitutes 'evidence'?) and they've since disappeared - imagine that.

And they're still trying to determine if it was weapons grade or not.

D

job

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 25, 2002
in transit
I'm wondering about the amount needed to make any sort of nuclear weapon, "dirty bombs" included.

How significant is 5 oz. in the process of bomb building? (Assuming naturally that it is weapons grade.)

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
Originally posted by hitman
I'm wondering about the amount needed to make any sort of nuclear weapon, "dirty bombs" included.

How significant is 5 oz. in the process of bomb building? (Assuming naturally that it is weapons grade.)

You put 5 oz. of Plutonium in a dirty bomb, get the dust in the air and it would be a huge mess. Weapons grade plutonium, if inhaled, is death, quite simple. I'm not sure how much coverage you would get, and it would depend on the weather conditions and where the bomb went off, but it would be more than enough to shut a city down till it was cleaned up and plenty of deaths would be the result. However, the scare would probably have more effect than the actual bomb itself.

D

Wash!!

macrumors 6502
Jan 8, 2002
here, there, who knows
Originally posted by dukestreet

You put 5 oz. of Plutonium in a dirty bomb, get the dust in the air and it would be a huge mess. Weapons grade plutonium, if inhaled, is death, quite simple. I'm not sure how much coverage you would get, and it would depend on the weather conditions and where the bomb went off, but it would be more than enough to shut a city down till it was cleaned up and plenty of deaths would be the result. However, the scare would probably have more effect than the actual bomb itself.

D

They don't need to make a dirty bomb to set off a scare look what happen in Oklahoma.
You could make a very powerful chemical acttack using common house hold cleaners, you just need to know what to mix and belive me they know how.

They are just waiting for the right moment to attack most likely a heartland city like Denver, Chicago, or the like just to prove that they can get to us any time or anywhere they want.

Backtothemac

macrumors 601
Jan 3, 2002
San Destin Florida
5 oz of weapons grade uranium would cause one hell of a messed up weekend somewhere. If it is not weapons grade it could still be used to poison a small water supply, or to create the appearance, fear factor of a dirty bomb explosion. In addition, it could be used for armor piercing cells. There are many applications for uranium.

This just goes to show everyone that the threat posed by the people is real. We have to be proactive with removing them from power. Once done, establish and maintain a peace.

To wait to handle the situation will sign the death certificates of millions of people.

oldMac

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2001
Re: poop.

I'll be hiding on a south Pacific island for a few years if anybody needs me...... [/B]

Hey Mischief, you might want to check with some of the aspiring nuclear governments before choosing a specific "south pacific island". Those islands have a history of being great testing grounds. :)

job

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 25, 2002
in transit
Has anyone considered the possibility of terrorist groups using super tankers filled with fertilizer as floating bombs?

You park something like that down here in Houston, at one of the largest fuel refining plants in the world... :eek:

Damn....

Wash!!

macrumors 6502
Jan 8, 2002
here, there, who knows
Originally posted by hitman
Has anyone considered the possibility of terrorist groups using super tankers filled with fertilizer as floating bombs?

You park something like that down here in Houston, at one of the largest fuel refining plants in the world... :eek:

Damn....

Of course they'll do it. If they get the chance

Trust no one!!1:eek:

Pants

macrumors regular
Aug 21, 2001
Originally posted by Backtothemac
5 oz of weapons grade uranium would cause one hell of a messed up weekend somewhere. If it is not weapons grade it could still be used to poison a small water supply, or to create the appearance, fear factor of a dirty bomb explosion. In addition, it could be used for armor piercing cells. There are many applications for uranium.

This just goes to show everyone that the threat posed by the people is real. We have to be proactive with removing them from power. Once done, establish and maintain a peace.

To wait to handle the situation will sign the death certificates of millions of people.

whats the problem here? is it the scary word 'uranium'? yeah - put it in the water supply, and see what happens - nothing. Its like lead - lead is biologically pretty inactive in its elemental state. I'd be more concerned if it were say, selenium or beryllium being thrown about , but not uranium. A bomb designed to put it into the air as particulates maybe, but then we use (tons of!) depleted uranium shells on the iraqis without a moments hesitation, and we get worked up about the 'posibility' of a 5 oz 'dirty' bomb? blimey, i am sitting here wondering how easy it would be to efficiently turn that 5 oz ( a tiny amount....uranium is heavy....) into breathable, sub micron particles, and i reckon teh best way is to stick it on the tip of a bullet....and even then, the most obvious danger is being hit directly with the thing.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.