Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jovian9

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 19, 2003
Planet Zebes
I've got a mid-2010 Mac Mini (2.4 CD2 and 4GB RAM). I just installed Lion on this yesterday and tried handbrake today but it does not move even a small amount into 'Scanning New Source'. It just seems stuck there.

I deleted the app and downloaded it again, but still the same issue. This had never happened to me in SL.

Anyone else having similar issues or know any fixes?

Thanks!

BlackMangoTree

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2010
Are you using the latest release 0.9.5 ? if you are download a nightly build. They seem to be working perfectly for me on a 2009 and 2011 MacMini running Lion.

dynaflash

macrumors 68020
Mar 27, 2003
Nightly Builds are at :

https://build.handbrake.fr/view/Nightlies/

... and yes reportedly it works there but I haven't setup my lion build environment yet. there will be some changes to address lion I suspect. Also its worth noting that the nightlies are much more capable than 0.9.5. Just my .02.

greytmom

macrumors 68040
Jun 23, 2010
Handbrake is working beautifully for me on my early 2011 MBP with Lion installed.

dynaflash

macrumors 68020
Mar 27, 2003
Good to hear its working on the nightlies. will be doing some testing soon. especially for full screen mode though I am not much of a fan of it personally.

Jovian9

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 19, 2003
Planet Zebes
I was able to get the regular build to scan the dvd. I had to let it sit for like 10 minutes before it started the scan. It took a LONG time to scan it and then would NOT start encoding.

I downloaded the latest nightly build. It began scanning after it sat for about a minute and took a LONG time to scan as well. I then hit encode and it sat for another few minutes before starting the encode. The encode seems to be doing fine and moving along at it's normal pace.

I've used handbrake for years and years. My usual experience is an immediate start to the scan and a quick scan for almost all dvd's. The encode starts immediately upon me hitting the button as well. So this is unusual and not something I had ever seen prior to upgrading to Lion.

Jovian9

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 19, 2003
Planet Zebes
Seen this top thread in the Mac section of the HandBrake forum?

https://forum.handbrake.fr/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=21779

Scanning and encode starts are almost instant for me on Lion

Yeah. I read that and had been there before I posted here. I tried that but it didn't work.

The nightly build of handbrake did a great job ripping a dvd earlier. It was the scanning and starting the rip that gave me problems. But at least it worked after that. Better than nothing.

I also have the issue mentioned in the thread you linked....about having to force quit when nothing happens. Handbrake just won't shut down without me doing that.

DustinT

macrumors 68000
Feb 26, 2011
Handbrake's working fine for me on Lion. Its an older version and I have no problems.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.