Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mpossoff

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 21, 2010
Philadelphia
I've searched and found that onyx can be used to keep my mac running smooth and fast however I can't find any tutorial's on how to use it.

Can anyone shed some light on some basics?

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
You don't need anything to keep you Mac running the way it is. The UNIX under layer of Mac OS X will do everything for you. If you don't know how to properly use Onyx, stay away from it. You can easily make you Mac slower or unbootable.

r0k

macrumors 68040
Mar 3, 2008
Detroit
I've searched and found that onyx can be used to keep my mac running smooth and fast however I can't find any tutorial's on how to use it.

Can anyone shed some light on some basics?

No need. You simply install and run it and it leads you though the steps. If you are running Lion, I suggest you wait for Onyx to be updated before you run it on Lion. If you're running Snow Leopard or older, go ahead and take a look. There is nothing wrong with installing Onyx, running it and looking over the options. You don't have to actually do any of them. You can go research them one by one before you decide. I should mention that some tasks like emptying log files and deleting temp files are already handled automatically by OS X. Onyx just gives you the ability to do those things on demand rather than waiting for them to come up under the "normal" schedule.

mpossoff

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 21, 2010
Philadelphia
You don't need anything to keep you Mac running the way it is. The UNIX under layer of Mac OS X will do everything for you. If you don't know how to properly use Onyx, stay away from it. You can easily make you Mac slower or unbootable.

Thanks this is our 1st Mac. It's about 1 1/2 years old and was given to us.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.