Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

scrapgramm

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 2, 2011
I love my imac but I hate the little keyboard. My old pc keyboard had Home/End/internet back/forward/5 programable hot keys/calculator, ect. ect. Being larger It was much easier to type on. I have a really hard time typing on this little tiny keyboard. Nothing wrong with it, I just like the larger size and the quick extra shortcuts.

Isn't there anything made for the Mac. I know some keyboards will work with the Mac but I'd prefer one that was made just for it and not the PC too.

Am I asking to much?

Thanks in advance for any help.

jacksoncmc835

macrumors member
Jan 20, 2011
i like the wired imac key board but i believe logitech might have some that would work cant say for sure... if u also want an upgrade ur mouse the logitexh mx anywhere is a wonderful mouse

Lankyman

macrumors 68020
May 14, 2011
U.K.
It's all in your mind, the keys are still in the same place Apple have simply got rid of the clutter which you seem to want back? I find it a very good keyboard to type on, the keys have a satisfying click. I do touch type and can hit 110 wpm which is the same as I achieve on my full size work keyboard.

jacksoncmc835

macrumors member
Jan 20, 2011
which apple keyboard you have wired or battey version... also you might be able to asigin short cut to keys or key combos to do what you want

Attachments

• Region capture 2.jpg
    Region capture 2.jpg
    152.2 KB · Views: 2,514

scrapgramm

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 2, 2011
It's all in your mind, the keys are still in the same place Apple have simply got rid of the clutter which you seem to want back? I find it a very good keyboard to type on, the keys have a satisfying click. I do touch type and can hit 110 wpm which is the same as I achieve on my full size work keyboard.

You are probably right about that, I'm nearly 70 years old, except that I recently switched from, PC to Mac. I've had a PC since they first became available for home use with the grand old 5 1/4" floppy disks. As far as the computer is concerned, no problems, should have made the switch years ago. I am loving my iMac.

The keyboard is another thing. Can't type worth beans on it. The keys are too flat for me, There is no support for the wrist, using a bean bag raises the wrist too far up from the keys. My fingers slip off of them causing me to have to look down to see where I am. On my old keyboards I hardly ever had to look down and yes, I miss that clutter.

There are just some habits that you cannot break after so many years. Personally I feel like this keyboard is designed for a younger generation of laptop users who grew up with the flat keys, not that that's a bad thing, Apple didn't get where they are doing things wrong.

Thanks to all who suggested or did not suggest a keyboard. I appreciate all feedback. That's the great thing about these forums, we get to hear everyone's opinions.

You all have a great night, I'll be checking out those alternative keyboards.

talmy

macrumors 601
Oct 26, 2009
Oregon
Another vote for the Matias Tactile Pro.

I use a Northgate Omnikey 102 keyboard, built in 1989. The Matias uses the same clicky keyswitches. Good stuff!

bushman4

macrumors 601
Mar 22, 2011
Logitech has several bluetooth keyboards that are good. You might be better off with a wired keyboard as there is a bigger selection available. Microsoft also has some decent keyboards.

iSayuSay

macrumors 68040
Feb 6, 2011
Having the wireless Apple keyboard .. you're gonna be pushed and trained to be a shortcut warrior. All activities and command has its own combination (apart from NumPad keys) ..

I already quite getting the hang of it, I can do most of the shortcut already, even have assigned around 20 of my own shortcut for different apps .. kinda proud of it though :p. For general typing (like this post :p) .. the keyboard feels really nice, not feels cramped due to standard key size. But yes, I hate when I need some numerical input on Excel

Or when I stuck at game, i download a trainer, only to find out I have to reconfigure the keys due to inavailability of Numpad keys as standard issue :D

Shoot man .. If only Apple make a wireless keyboard with Numpad and side buttons .. well I'd pay $100 for that :D

There's not much option for you out there, especially if you want a good keyboard for OSX (with command, option, control and numpad buttons) ... Logitech make 1 or two, a bit steep at around $100 .. but if you're willing to go, Logitech make some good keyboards, and made for your Mac :D

MacHamster68

macrumors 68040
Sep 17, 2009
why not use the last proper keyboard from Apple instead of those gadgets that are more about design then function
apple-wireless-keyboard-1st-gen-4gm-460.jpg

and its wireless too, despite the fact it has a energy hungry numberpad ;)

rikbrown

macrumors regular
Jun 29, 2010
I got this one, it's really nice looking, with keys that aren't that high.
There was a Mac edition of this one, but this is just as good.

http://www.logitech.com/en-us/keyboards/keyboard/devices/192

Also using this keyboard, love it - and it goes very well with the iMac design.
It does seem more sluggish than the Apple keyboard at connecting upon waking from sleep, though, which is annoying. May need to try it with its wifi dongle in the USB instead.

iSayuSay

macrumors 68040
Feb 6, 2011
why not use the last proper keyboard from Apple instead of those gadgets that are more about design then function

Wow never think of that .. yeah .. that's a good alternative, but will it have same function as the new wireless keyboard (+numpad of course)??

And my old Genius wireless keyboard (2.4GHz instead of bluetooth) has an excellent battery life. Almost a year since I had to replaced it, yeah it's full sized with numpad and extra buttons

Macman45

macrumors G5
Jul 29, 2011
Somewhere Back In The Long Ago
Are These Still Available?

I have the full size USB keyboard, it's ok, but the one in your screenshot looks better....If only because it's angled where mine is flat.

Are these available in the UK still? :)

scrapgramm

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 2, 2011
Thanks everybody, I'm going to hop over to eBay to look for that older Apple keyboard.

talmy

macrumors 601
Oct 26, 2009
Oregon

IMHO it's still more about form than function. I've got one of these in my closet and had another (wired) one. The both suffered from sticking keys because of a sloppy mechanical design (especially the space bar) and the keyboard feel was no better than any other. Get the Matias or a used Omnikey for that matter.

coolspot18

macrumors 65816
Aug 16, 2010
Canada
Isn't there anything made for the Mac. I know some keyboards will work with the Mac but I'd prefer one that was made just for it and not the PC too.

Am I asking to much?

The full size wired USB keyboard is quite good.

Home/End, etc keys need to be remapped in OSX, but instructions are readily available online.

Badger^2

macrumors 68000
Oct 29, 2009
Sacramento
Thanks everybody, I'm going to hop over to eBay to look for that older Apple keyboard.

Hated that one. =)

People keep mentioning Logitech -- but honestly you can use pretty much any keyboard you want. Microsoft, kensington, razer, etc, etc.

I used a MS keyboard/mouse for years.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.