Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Rhino420

macrumors member
Feb 9, 2010
im considering getting THIS: http://store.apple.com/ca/product/H6263ZM/A?mco=MTY3ODQ5OTY

the speck see thru case clear. looks nice and shows off the original look of the macbook pro.

for those of you who used these cases for a long time, ahev they ever scratched your computer?

thanks

I have one on my 2010 mbp had one on my ibook forever. The wife had it on the powerbook,macbook and now just bought one for the mb air she just got last weekend. not one single problem with SPECK brand cases since we have had them it does not scratch he mbp itself and is on there tight and does not hurt the brushed aluminum finish and comes off quite easily, unlike some cheaper ebay cases i have used before.

little tip you can find the speck case on ebay for about half the price of the apple store check it out there first.

Yumunum

macrumors 65816
Apr 24, 2011
U.S.
I have the same case but for the MBA. never snapped during removal, and there are no scratches.

MBP13

macrumors 6502
Mar 13, 2011
Yep. I have a Speck hardcase for my 13" MacBook Pro. No, it doesn't scratch the Mac itself.

And no, it's not hard to take off. You just have to pinch it off in the right areas and it'll be smooth sailing after that.

Mac-key

macrumors 6502a
Apr 1, 2010
Alabama
I have a SPECK case for my machine (see sig). I too had read reviews about it being extremely hard to take off and it scratching the aluminum finish. However, I was quite surprised to find that it's not too terribly hard to remove. Also, no scratches

BrickbookPro

macrumors regular
Jul 26, 2011
im considering getting THIS: http://store.apple.com/ca/product/H6263ZM/A?mco=MTY3ODQ5OTY

the speck see thru case clear. looks nice and shows off the original look of the macbook pro.

for those of you who used these cases for a long time, ahev they ever scratched your computer?

thanks

Just a headsup. I don't really think that the clear one preserves the original look of the MBP--far from it, in fact. I think the glossy clear case appears tacky. You may want to see if they'll let you test one out in the store first.

Of course this is my opinion, but I find that the satin finished hard cases (speck) are much better looking.

Apple OC

macrumors 68040
Oct 14, 2010
Hogtown
Yep. I have a Speck hardcase for my 13" MacBook Pro. No, it doesn't scratch the Mac itself.

And no, it's not hard to take off. You just have to pinch it off in the right areas and it'll be smooth sailing after that.

^^^ I have had the same results with a clear Speck case ... glad I put it on

Sankersizzle

macrumors 6502a
Jun 5, 2010
Canadadada
Yes, a little! I have had a Speck on my 17" MBP for the last year. I always take it off and clean it, let's say, once a month. I took it off to show people how much sexier a 17" looks than a 13" and it had a few scratches where crumbs and what not had fallen into the case and scratched. Most of them rubbed off however. It is important to note that the case didn't scratch the notebook, crap I let fall into the case did.

I still strongly recommend a case like this though, as every other MBP I've seen (and I do see a lot, as a university student) without a case looks 4.2x10^22 times more roughed up than mine. The case will protect against dings and what not, the extremely small scratches are worth the added protection, especially if you're like me and carry your laptop to class.

Also notable, is the case will add around a pound of weight and make your laptop a bit uglier if you make the mistake that I did and get a coloured case for your MBP -I got black. If you get a see through case (like the one offered from Speck) it makes the laptop look much better, as it becomes shiny.

randomrazr

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 1, 2011
Yes, a little! I have had a Speck on my 17" MBP for the last year. I always take it off and clean it, let's say, once a month. I took it off to show people how much sexier a 17" looks than a 13" and it had a few scratches where crumbs and what not had fallen into the case and scratched. Most of them rubbed off however. It is important to note that the case didn't scratch the notebook, crap I let fall into the case did.

I still strongly recommend a case like this though, as every other MBP I've seen (and I do see a lot, as a university student) without a case looks 4.2x10^22 times more roughed up than mine. The case will protect against dings and what not, the extremely small scratches are worth the added protection, especially if you're like me and carry your laptop to class.

Also notable, is the case will add around a pound of weight and make your laptop a bit uglier if you make the mistake that I did and get a coloured case for your MBP -I got black. If you get a see through case (like the one offered from Speck) it makes the laptop look much better, as it becomes shiny.

how did u manage to carry a 17inch macbook to class all the time? thats a such a big computer lol.

im heading to university this fall too, first year taking business. what were u taking?

randomrazr

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 1, 2011
I have one on my 2010 mbp had one on my ibook forever. The wife had it on the powerbook,macbook and now just bought one for the mb air she just got last weekend. not one single problem with SPECK brand cases since we have had them it does not scratch he mbp itself and is on there tight and does not hurt the brushed aluminum finish and comes off quite easily, unlike some cheaper ebay cases i have used before.

little tip you can find the speck case on ebay for about half the price of the apple store check it out there first.

Never had a problem taking mine off.

OP: No, no scratches.

I have the same case but for the MBA. never snapped during removal, and there are no scratches.

did you guys take it off very often to clean it? since none of mentioned incase, have u guys heard any opinions on the incase hardshells?

thanks

palpatine

macrumors 68040
May 3, 2011
definitely recommend the clear one. colored ones are so ugly :(

i have minor abrasions where the plastic meets the unibody. i clean it several times a week, so you could blame crap, but i would call it poor design. nevertheless, it beats getting anything major, and the clearcase has already saved me from that, so i am willing to sacrifice a few blemishes for the protection. no problem taking it off. close the computer first, though :)

i use an elecom case. similar to the others, but not sold in the us.

Sankersizzle

macrumors 6502a
Jun 5, 2010
Canadadada
how did u manage to carry a 17inch macbook to class all the time? thats a such a big computer lol.

im heading to university this fall too, first year taking business. what were u taking?

Haha, it's not that big. I never noticed it was any bigger because I took it around in a laptop knapsack. I got used to it right away. I had to get a big one because I am in geographic computing, so I have to run a lot of visualization and process massive files so the extra horsepower was welcome. It's awesome because everyone in computing has a Windows PC and you can obviously tell they are outrageously jealous at how much nicer a MacBook is. Every now and then it wouldn't fit in the seats, so I'd always try and sit next to a hot girl so it would start up a conversation :D.

You're going to love first year btw, it's like one gigantic party. Especially if you live in res!

palpatine

macrumors 68040
May 3, 2011
Haha, it's not that big. I never noticed it was any bigger because I took it around in a laptop knapsack. I got used to it right away. I had to get a big one because I am in geographic computing, so I have to run a lot of visualization and process massive files so the extra horsepower was welcome. It's awesome because everyone in computing has a Windows PC and you can obviously tell they are outrageously jealous at how much nicer a MacBook is. Every now and then it wouldn't fit in the seats, so I'd always try and sit next to a hot girl so it would start up a conversation :D.

You're going to love first year btw, it's like one gigantic party. Especially if you live in res!

how tall are you?

rockyroad55

macrumors 601
Jul 14, 2010
Phila, PA
If you like red colors, the Speck satin is a great look for the macbook. Mine did not crack, but the edges that held it in place kinda wore off over time which caused the case to feel flimsy.

lindstedt56

macrumors regular
Jun 19, 2011
Never scratched mine probally cuz I clean it often. Its also not hard to take off if you know how.

sukion

macrumors newbie
Jul 20, 2011
Never had a problem with them. Got the See Thru Satin Red for the MBP and now I'm waiting for my See Thru Blue for the MBA. I love these cases but as others said, it's a pain to take off.

GuitarG20

macrumors 65816
Jun 3, 2011
Be warned, once it's on, it's a pain to get off. Managed to snap my back bit by trying to get it off. :(

Mine stays tight but comes off pretty easy too... never had trouble getting it off.

Never scratched the aluminum either...

then again I have the black satin one, so might be slightly different.

Minhthien

macrumors 6502
Jun 20, 2011
So glad there so many Speck case owner that are happy! I ordered Speck Fitted Case hope its easy to take off for cleaning. I wonder why no one mention about the Fitted Series umm

MarkCooz

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2009
California
bought my new MacBook Pro 15" from my buddy. He's kept the Speck hardshell since day one. and this machine is in pristine condition

when i changed the RAM two days ago. It was spotless, wasn't that hard to take off. so it's a good deal!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.