Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iLukeisamazing

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 8, 2006
Hi. My issue is that I ruined my old Macbook by spilling water on it, but was able to salvage the physical harddrive from the machine, but now I want to get my information from that harddrive and onto my new Macbook Pro.

How should I go about doing this? What is the cheapest/easiest way? I have the physical harddrive, my new laptop, and a Time Machine, do I need to purchase another external?

Thanks so much for any help.

lfshammu

macrumors member
Sep 2, 2010
Hi. My issue is that I ruined my old Macbook by spilling water on it, but was able to salvage the physical harddrive from the machine, but now I want to get my information from that harddrive and onto my new Macbook Pro.

How should I go about doing this? What is the cheapest/easiest way? I have the physical harddrive, my new laptop, and a Time Machine, do I need to purchase another external?

Thanks so much for any help.

Buy an external Hard drive case, much cheaper and it makes your old hard drive act as if its an external.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
"How should I go about doing this? What is the cheapest/easiest way? I have the physical harddrive, my new laptop, and a Time Machine, do I need to purchase another external?"

This will do exactly what you need:
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias=aps&field-keywords=usb+sata+dock&x=0&y=0

They all work about the same, just pick one you like that's cheap.

These also are handy for backing up and booting in emergencies. They are indeed "bootable". A great item to have around.

SUGGESTION:
In the future, I suggest you give up Time Machine and instead try CarbonCopyCloner. Use CCC (along with a drive in the dock) to "clone" your internal drive to the docked drive. You will then have a BOOTABLE exact copy of your internal close-at-hand.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.