Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Macman45

macrumors G5
Original poster
Jul 29, 2011
Somewhere Back In The Long Ago
After the latest software update, my ATV seems to switch itself on without any input from the remote, or my iPhone or iPad.

It goes to sleep after the designated hour, and I can think of no reason why it's suddenly started doing this.

Everything else working fine.

Batt

macrumors 65816
Dec 17, 2007
Syracuse, NY
After the latest software update, my ATV seems to switch itself on without any input from the remote, or my iPhone or iPad.

It goes to sleep after the designated hour, and I can think of no reason why it's suddenly started doing this.

Everything else working fine.

I have two of them, and they've both done that under every software version. They are apparently haunted.

Macman45

macrumors G5
Original poster
Jul 29, 2011
A Ghost

I have two of them, and they've both done that under every software version. They are apparently haunted.

In MY ATV..? Spooky. :eek:

It's not having any effect on the unit's performance, and short of sitting up all night and watching it, I think I'll just leave it.

For all I know it might have been doing it prior to the updated software anyway! :)

mstrze

macrumors 68000
Nov 6, 2009
To me, it seems like everytime I use my remote...for controlling any piece of my home theater equipment...my ATV2 likes to turn on. :(

Mac Eagle

macrumors member
May 5, 2010
Same here. I have a Harmony One and whenever I use it to turn on my system, even if the activity is not to watch Apple TV, it will turn the Apple TV on. I even went into my Harmony settings to make sure that it was not a component of the particular activity I was doing.

I think it may be that anytime the Apple TV receives an HDMI signal it is powering on.

ftaok

macrumors 603
Jan 23, 2002
East Coast
Mine seems to behave like Mstze's, where other component remotes seem to have an affect on the aTV. I've put my aTV to sleep manually, only to come back later and see that the white light is on.

However, when I switch inputs on the TV, the aTV isn't actually on. Just the white light.

big samm

macrumors 68000
Oct 27, 2008
Same here. I have a Harmony One and whenever I use it to turn on my system, even if the activity is not to watch Apple TV, it will turn the Apple TV on. I even went into my Harmony settings to make sure that it was not a component of the particular activity I was doing.

I think it may be that anytime the Apple TV receives an HDMI signal it is powering on.

That's exactly what think...

Macman45

macrumors G5
Original poster
Jul 29, 2011
That Makes Sense

I did turn on my HD recorder, that sends a signal through to the tv which is connected to the ATV. Makes sense, I will try it.

No big deal though :)

Rorlow

macrumors member
Jan 12, 2011
Detroit, MI
what was the aTV update version number? was it for the aTV2? Reason I ask is I haven't seen any aTV updates on mine in ages, its like they forgot about the original aTV after the aTV2 came out . . .

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.