Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Mac Basics and Help

Old Aug 3, 2011, 11:15 AM   #1
jp33
macrumors newbie

Spilled water on macbook pro

Based on what I have read here...I did everything that I could have done wrong. Sorry this is going to be long but I'm trying to include as much details as possible.

Saturday evening while at a friend's place I spilled almost a cup of water on my 2 month old macbook pro. It went all over the keyboard and trackpad. I soaked up quickly what I could and flipped it over but stupidly did not turn it off. (listened to 2 friends who clearly know nothing about computers but that's beside the point now) I let it sit for about 30 mins resting on it's front edges like a tipi. I then decided to rest the keyboard side flat on a towel with the screen side hanging off the table still without turning it off. (idiot, I know) Withing minutes it turned off on its own or died? I left it that way overnight and tried to turn it on in the morning but nothing was happening. While I was pretty sure the battery still had charge in it I plugged it in and did see the green light go on and turn orange to start charging but again I could not turn it on. Thinking this was a bad idea I unplugged the power and poured rice on the towel and laid it back down for another couple of hours. I then had to pack it up and head back home so it sat in my car for 2 hours. When I finally got home I took the back off and could still feel moisture. With the back off (but battery & hard drive still in as I couldn't get a tri wing torx until Tuesday) I slipped it into old panty hose and laid it on a bed of rice for 24 hours. I then propped it in front of a fan overnight and tried it again yesterday but still nothing. While I could no longer feel/see any moisture, I left it to sit with the battery out. I tried again this morning but nothing is happening.

What do I do now? It's been 84 hours since the incident. I can't be sure that I short circuited anything because I can't see or smell that anything has been burned. My hard drive is fine as I've already pulled off the most immediate items that I needed to access. Based on what I have read I suspect my power button might be dead or even my logic board? I'm going to wait another day or so but then I think I need to take it to apple to get it looked at. I'm certain the water damage will be obvious though I can't see it with the back off and the battery out but I've read there are four moisture sensors inside it. So I'm assuming my warranty is void now. If/when I take it in what should I say...that it just stopped working?

Any further advice on what I could/should do?

Thanks in advance.
jp33 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 3, 2011, 02:53 PM   #2
old-wiz
macrumors 604

Apple isn't stupid; they will be able to tell water damage.

Most likely you would need a new logic board, but that costs almost as much as a new machine.
old-wiz is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 3, 2011, 02:56 PM   #3
GoCubsGo
macrumors Nehalem

You were doing fine until you asked if you should just tell Apple it stopped working. If you know you spilled water and you know that voids the warranty and you even know of the sensors, why bother asking such a silly question?

Take it in and say you spilled water on it. It's 2 months old, they will look at it and if they decide to charge you then you need to decide if it is worth the diagnostic fee. They may waive this fee if you actually tell them the truth. The truth is something they seem to rarely hear. Once you know what is wrong, make your next decision from there.

Did you buy it with a credit card that happens to offer accidental damage? Homeowners or renters insurance may work out for you as well. Being honest however is going to be your best bet.
GoCubsGo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 3, 2011, 03:08 PM   #4
killerrobot
macrumors 68020

Bummer!
No way around this one, though. You've gotta take it in. However, if you can find a good Apple certified tech in your neighborhood (try using yelp!) they often charge far less than Apple will for repairs. Best of luck.
Old Aug 3, 2011, 03:19 PM   #5
aross99
macrumors 68000

My daughter spilled a significant amount of water on her MB with similar results. After much drying, etc, it wouldn't start up. I found a place on eBay with a storefront in NYC that does board level repairs for logic boards. They repaired my board for around $300 and it is good as new.

This was way cheaper than buying a new computer...

Here is a link to their website:

http://www.L2ComputerInc.com/

You can find them on eBay with the username dqsales.

YMMV but it worked out great for me!
aross99 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 3, 2011, 04:29 PM   #6
jp33
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessica. View Post
Did you buy it with a credit card that happens to offer accidental damage? Homeowners or renters insurance may work out for you as well. Being honest however is going to be your best bet.
The card does not offer insurance and my deductible is too high to make it worth submitting a claim. I'm all for honesty but those around me keep telling me to say nothing. I've made an appointment to take it in tomorrow so we'll see what they say.
Old Aug 3, 2011, 04:41 PM   #7
jp33
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by aross99 View Post
My daughter spilled a significant amount of water on her MB with similar results. After much drying, etc, it wouldn't start up. I found a place on eBay with a storefront in NYC that does board level repairs for logic boards. They repaired my board for around $300 and it is good as new.

YMMV but it worked out great for me!
I'm across the border so it adds more hassle & cost re: shipping. Plus I'm not certain that it definitely is the logic board but thank you for the suggestion.
Old Aug 3, 2011, 05:39 PM   #8
Bonch
Banned

Just tell Apple it stopped working and demand a replacement. That's the way John Wayne would have done it.
Bonch is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 3, 2011, 07:19 PM   #9
Yumunum
macrumors 65816

They'll figure it out.

I did the same to my Pro. They replaced the logic board and it coated about $500. It sucked, but what else can you do? :/
Yumunum is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15, 2011, 10:30 AM   #10
jp33
macrumors newbie

the resolution

I've been busy so this is my first chance to post about what I ended up doing. I took Jessica's advice (THANK YOU VERY MUCH) and my own desire to tell the truth to Apple. At my genius appointment I explained that I spilled a cup of water on it and tried to dry it out over the last five days but it still wouldn't turn on. I said that I figured my warranty was void because of the spill. The Genius told me not to jump to conclusions and took the MBP to examine the damage. When he came back he told me that because its only two months old and to maintain customer loyalty ONCE in my lifetime they would fix it for free. He ordered a number of different components that added up to almost $900 before taxes so I could see what they were doing for me. When I got it back the following week they had replaced the following: the logic board, the housing top case with keyboard w/o trackpad and the board Magsafe which totalled just over $650 before taxes.

I was so happy I could have kissed the guy but instead I shook his hand and thanked him profusely. He did mention that I am to come back if I start having any other problems with it.

This was my fourth laptop from Apple and I have always loved their products despite their high price tag. This experience has definitely cemented my customer loyalty and I am ecstatic to have my MBP back.

Thank you to everyone for your input.
Old Aug 15, 2011, 11:48 AM   #11
Jolly Jimmy
macrumors 65816

Great to hear you got it sorted. Honesty prevails!
Jolly Jimmy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15, 2011, 05:27 PM   #12
Tumbleweed666
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by jp33 View Post
The card does not offer insurance and my deductible is too high to make it worth submitting a claim. I'm all for honesty but those around me keep telling me to say nothing. I've made an appointment to take it in tomorrow so we'll see what they say.
Good for you you didn't listen to your friends idiotic advice second time round. Nice to hear it all worked out well.

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Mac Basics and Help