Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jamdr

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 20, 2003
Bay Area
I can no longer compile Java code. I just use javac in the terminal, and now I get a Segmentation fault whenever I try to compile (note: it just says "Segmentation fault" on the command line--nothing actually happens as far as I can tell). Also, no Java apps run, either. I double-click on a class file and nothing happens at all.

Can someone test this on their machine. Just try to compile and run a simple Java app and let me know what happens. I'm guessing this is just an issue with some corrupt file in my install but I REALLY don't want to have to do a clean install of Panther and download all the updates again for all my apps on this slow connection!

AndrewTosh

macrumors newbie
Jan 12, 2005
Same here. Upgraded my mini to 10.3.9 and Java doesn't work at all. It worked perfectly before, I was running Eclipse right before restarting, even.

Can you tell me any more about your Java setup?

I have Eclipse and NetBeans installed, and Apache Tomcat. None are working after upgrading to 10.3.9

java and javac segfault when run in Terminal.

If you find a solution or something in common between our setups that might be the culprit PLEASE let me know. I'm working on a class project in Java and this is not the kind of thing I need keeping me from meeting deadlines, etc.

Thanks in advance. :D

jamdr

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 20, 2003
Bay Area
Yeah, this isn't good for my deadlines, either. Thanks Apple for another outstanding upgrade. As far as my setup, I have Eclipse installed on my iBook G4, but I don't use it much. Before the upgrade I was working on my Java code in SubEthaEdit with the terminal open to compile. Everything was working fine. After the update, nothing works at all. Maybe it's because the VM was running during the installation and some file got corrupted somehow. It would be sad if the update broke Java on all setups. I've tried a few things to fix this, but nothing is working. I think the only solution is going to be to reinstall the OS, or at least Java. I'm not sure if you can install Java separately, though.

Anyone else having this problem?

AndrewTosh

macrumors newbie
Jan 12, 2005
At least one other person in the 10.3.9 rumors thread seemed to be having the same problem. Azerus, which is a Java app, stopped running after installing the update.

I'm trying repair permissions and will post results after I do that and restart.

Rincewind42

macrumors 6502a
Mar 3, 2003
Orlando, FL
As a counter point, Java is working just fine here. I don't have Eclipse or any other Java IDE installed (just do command line compile and CW for editor). Haven't installed anything Java oriented either however.

jamdr

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 20, 2003
Bay Area
Rincewind42 said:
As a counter point, Java is working just fine here. I don't have Eclipse or any other Java IDE installed (just do command line compile and CW for editor). Haven't installed anything Java oriented either however.
Was the VM running when you did the install? As far as I know, it would have been running if you had run a Java program since the last restart (unless you specifically quit it). Thanks for the info.

AndrewTosh

macrumors newbie
Jan 12, 2005
The updater starts and then says "You cannot install on this volume, it does not have software which needs updating"

Unless there's some way to force it to install?

jamdr

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 20, 2003
Bay Area
LeeTom said:
Since you were both using Java during the update (tsk, tsk), I think that could be the culprit.
Before you reinstall OS X completely, do try reinstalling Java.
http://www.apple.com/downloads/macosx/apple/javaupdate142.html
Point taken, but it's not unreasonable that Java would be running during a software install. The VM is always running in the background and only quits if you restart or force quit it. Apple doesn't warn against this, either. This is a huge hassle. It'll take me a good 4-5 hours to get everything installed and up to date on my machine again :mad: :mad:

jim.

macrumors 6502
Dec 22, 2004
C-ville, VA
I wasn't running a java program when upgrading, and I too cannot get Eclipse or FurtherNET to start. java and javac segfault in the terminal. Guess I found my first issue with an update :D

I'm going to try the old fallback of installing the Combo update and repairing permissions again. Maybe it will do the trick...

Jim

jamdr

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 20, 2003
Bay Area
AndrewTosh said:
The updater starts and then says "You cannot install on this volume, it does not have software which needs updating"

Unless there's some way to force it to install?
Yeah, this is why I was saying I don't think it's possible to reinstall Java separately of the OS. It's not going to let you install over the same version. You could try deleting all your Java files in the System folder. I don't think this would work, though, because I doubt the installer is complete--it probably only contains the updated files.

vouder17

macrumors 6502a
Apr 30, 2003
Home
AndrewTosh said:
At least one other person in the 10.3.9 rumors thread seemed to be having the same problem. Azerus, which is a Java app, stopped running after installing the update.

I'm trying repair permissions and will post results after I do that and restart.

Yeah it was me... I havent ever had any problems with upgrades before. But this one has already brought problems with safari and azureus...who knows what is still to come.. :mad:

LeeTom

macrumors 68000
May 31, 2004
Try this: Move the Java142Update2.pkg file out of your /Library/Receipts folder to somewhere else (like the desktop). Then try running the Java Updater.

Lee Tom

jamdr

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 20, 2003
Bay Area
LeeTom said:
Try this: Move the Java142Update2.pkg file out of your /Library/Receipts folder to somewhere else (like the desktop). Then try running the Java Updater.

Lee Tom
Smart man. I'll give that a try, but it'll take a while to download the Java install. Care to try this AndrewTosh?

On a separate note, it looks like Safari v312 brings back displaying download rates. Thanks god, I don't know what Apple was thinking before.

AndrewTosh

macrumors newbie
Jan 12, 2005
jamdr said:
Smart man. I'll give that a try, but it'll take a while to download the Java install. Care to try this AndrewTosh?

It didn't work for me. I also tried taking out the other Java-related pkg files in the Receipts folder and it still wouldn't work.

:mad:

LeeTom

macrumors 68000
May 31, 2004
Damn. worth a shot. If you want to try one more thing, keep the pkg's out of the receipts folder and then run software update.... maaaaaybe?

jamdr

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 20, 2003
Bay Area
This is quite frustrating :mad:. I really wish Apple would stop releasing software updates before they are tested properly. I guess I'm going to start backing up my main partition...

jamdr

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 20, 2003
Bay Area
bousozoku said:
Well, Java itself seems to be working but the JAR launcher does not.
I don't know, not on my machine. I'm trying to open a class file and _nothing_ happens at all. No icon shows up in the dock, even briefly, and the VM isn't in the activity monitor. It's like it tries to launch the VM but can't.

crees!

macrumors 68020
Jun 14, 2003
MD/VA/DC
jamdr said:

On a separate note, it looks like Safari v312 brings back displaying download rates. Thanks god, I don't know what Apple was thinking before.
Umm, this has always been there. If you don't see it just Option-click the file you're downloading and it'll switch from minutes/seconds left to your download rate. ;)

jamdr

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 20, 2003
Bay Area
crees! said:
Umm, this has always been there. If you don't see it just Option-click the file you're downloading and it'll switch from minutes/seconds left to your download rate. ;)
Oh :eek:. Heh, never knew that. Well, you learn something new every day. Thanks. :cool:

stoid

macrumors 601
What I don't understand is how it is even remotely possible that Apple didn't catch this problem in seeding to developers. They would be the MOST likely to have the JVM running, and therefore would have noticed that the update broke Java. This is the kind of crap that I'd expect from Microsoft, not from Apple.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.