Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Programming > Mac Programming

Old Apr 16, 2005, 02:10 AM   #1
GeeYouEye
macrumors 68000

Send a message via AIM to GeeYouEye Send a message via Yahoo to GeeYouEye
WebObjects - ANY way to use Objective-C?

Note: I wasn't sure whether to put this here or in WD&D. Mods please move it if I guessed wrong.

I just recently discovered WebObjects in the ADC downloads section, and upon using it, just how great it is for rapid web application development. Except for one thing: Java. After having used Cocoa in Objective-C, I'm finding Java to be a real hinderance rather than a help. I know previous versions of WebObjects worked with either Objective-C or Java, and that the Enterprise Objects Framework is written in Objective-C, so is there any way in WebObjects 5.2 to use Obj-C instead of Java? A hidden preference somewhere maybe? Thanks.
Like politics, free speech, computers, entertainment, and more? Join us at Wordforge.net
GeeYouEye is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16, 2005, 05:23 AM   #2
RacerX
macrumors 65832

There is no way that I know of (and it was a big deal when Apple announced that they were dropping Objective-C).

And as you pointed out, there are the earlier versions where it did work. If you wanted to see what it was like (and you have an older Mac lying around) you could buy a copy of Mac OS X Server 1.x (Rhapsody 5.3-5.6). These all came with WebObjects 4.0.1 (both development and deployment tools), so you could give it a spin to see if it is what you were looking for before hunting down a copy of WebObjects 4.5.1 (the last Objective-C version as I recall).

From what I can tell, had Apple not originally thought about releasing Yellow Box for Windows, they most likely would have dropped Objective-C even sooner (like with the release of version 4), but I think they kept it because a number of developers wrote applications for Yellow Box for Windows that would still run on Windows with WebObjects 4.x installed.

During that period Apple was trying to show that Java was as good a choice for regular applications as Objective-C... which is why Apple's TextEdit in Rhapsody is a Java app. Well, Java is not as good as Objective-C. Which is why I use a custom Objective-C version of TextEdit that some developers put together in Rhapsody rather than Apple's Java version (which is really slow).

One place to look for a possible solution to Objective-C in WebObjects 5.x would be over at Stepwise. If you are interested in a historical look at the reaction to some of Apple's roadmap announcements on these subjects, I would suggest reading Head for the Ramparts.
RacerX is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Programming > Mac Programming