Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X > Mac OS X Server, Xserve, and Networking

Old Aug 4, 2011, 04:23 AM   #1
xper
macrumors 6502

Restart FTP service every 30 minutes?

Hi!

I am out on vaccation now and cant touch my server fysically and i cant remote into it, so i would need something that restars the FTP services every 30 minutes, i was planning on working on some webprojects now but the FTP service stops working from time to time so cant connect to it.

So, an automatic service restarter?
Old Aug 4, 2011, 04:32 AM   #2
jotade11
macrumors regular

I have no clue what you might be using this for, or why you would need to start FTP (instead of leaving it to run), but perhaps a Cron Job would do the trick?
jotade11 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 4, 2011, 04:46 AM   #3
xper
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by jotade11 View Post
I have no clue what you might be using this for, or why you would need to start FTP (instead of leaving it to run), but perhaps a Cron Job would do the trick?
FTP service on the server IS always on but it stops working after a while, only sollution to fix it is to stop and restart the FTP service in server admin.
Old Aug 4, 2011, 05:05 AM   #4
smirking
macrumors regular

Send a message via Yahoo to smirking
Quote:
Originally Posted by xper View Post
FTP service on the server IS always on but it stops working after a while, only sollution to fix it is to stop and restart the FTP service in server admin.
Something is wrong with your FTP or your server if you need to do that, but if you have to keep rebooting the FTP service then just set a cron job like jotade11 said.
smirking is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 4, 2011, 09:33 AM   #5
pewra
macrumors regular

So rather than fix the underlying issue, you'll just keep restarting the server, consequently dropping active clients for no reason?

Even the most woefully inexperienced server admin should at least be able to find the cause of a crashing daemon. I find it hard to believe that someone developing "webprojects" wouldn't have some access to a remote shell. Moreover, any sort of monitoring process would have to be started by a privileged user, which would again require remote shell access.

Look at your logs, that's what they are for.
pewra is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 4, 2011, 07:30 PM   #6
jtara
macrumors 65816

I haven't used FTP in years. It's a horribly insecure protocol.

Better to use sftp, which actually has nothing to do with FTP. It's an ssh feature.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SSH_File_Transfer_Protocol.

For that matter, if it's just you remoting-in to your own system, why not just use a VPN? Then you can just browse your system with Finder.
jtara is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5, 2011, 08:31 AM   #7
xper
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by pewra View Post
So rather than fix the underlying issue, you'll just keep restarting the server, consequently dropping active clients for no reason?
You honestly think that i am working on some webproject on a live server with alot of active clients?

And by fixing the issue, you mean begging Apple to make a more stable FTP server on SL Server? Good luck with that.

Logs says nothing usefull, "illegal PORT command", when its not, a restart fix the issue.

This have happened 3 times in 2 years, but 2 of those happened when i had no access to the machine.

So restarting the FTP service on a devserver with 1-2 active clients that doesnt even notice when the FTP service is restarting is a really simple sollution and doesnt hurt anyone.

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X > Mac OS X Server, Xserve, and Networking