Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

biohazard6969

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 23, 2005
toronto canada
just a fun thread, i wanted to know, what everyone's all time favorite apple application is. not limited to apps MADE by apple, anything that works with mac

i'll start: i love itunes, i think it has the coolest interface and it works great, i get a rush everytime i can use it :D

chameeeleon

macrumors 6502
Jan 11, 2004
I'll second iTunes - it's always open for me, and the design is so simple and attractive yet so functional. Everything in the program "just works".

DaveP

macrumors 6502a
Mar 18, 2005
I'm going to break the rules and list two.

Windows Remote Desktop: I am a Comp Engr college student with and iBook, and I would not have made "the switch" from Windows if this program didn't exist. Obviously not useful for non-Windows users, but for me it is rediculously usefull.

XCode: While I definitely prefer Visual Studio (partially because I am more familiar with Windows development), I am continually amazed by the amount of free developer tools Apple offers. XCode, as well as other add on utilities, such as Application Builder, have a ton of power for no cost.

oops, I meant Interface Builder

devman

macrumors 65816
Apr 19, 2004
AU
Keynote.

It dramatically improved all my presentations. It's compositing and presentation and use of graphics is so beautiful, it raised the bar significantly over what I was previously doing.

eRondeau

macrumors 65816
Mar 3, 2004
Canada's South Coast
iMovie. When I first saw a friend using iMovie on his "new" iMac G4 almost two years ago I could not believe what I was seeing. I have professional video editing experience and here was a tiny little home computer that was replacing a hundred thousand dollars worth of gear -- and doing a better job! It's like iMovie was taking all these previously separate technologies and integrating them perfectly. Plus, it is super easy to learn and very forgiving of mistakes. iMovie sold me my Mac.

Lacero

macrumors 604
Jan 20, 2005
Final Cut Pro. Since my days are spent in it, that's what I use the mac for. Cutting video.

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Jul 4, 2004
Lacero said:
Final Cut Pro. Since my days are spent in it, that's what I use the mac for. Cutting video.

I'm surprised you've got any time for work considering your post-count in the first three months here. :p

IDANNY

macrumors 6502a
Dec 26, 2003
Las vegas
FredAkbar said:
Adium X. Free, open-source, multi-protocol instant messaging client. I couldn't live without it.
Yah adium is a great app. Best chatting program for the mac so far. I wish ichat had tabs and multi-protocol. But it doesn't but adium did a great job. I am very very happy with it.

biohazard6969

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 23, 2005
toronto canada
i have given up on adium, i've had too many problems with it, they all revolve around that fact that a lot of messages don't get delivered to me. i can't stand that, it is unacceptable

mr_austin

macrumors member
Jul 23, 2002
mac only?

favorite app ever: after effects. wow, what a great program.

favorite mac only app: Hard to pick one - final cut pro, BBEdit, and Audio Hijack Pro are all neck + neck. Transmit, Launchbar, Omnigraffle are all worthy contenders too.

Pages gets an honorable mention, now that I never have to wrestle with MS Word anymore...

Diatribe

macrumors 601
Jan 8, 2004
Back in the motherland
Hmm... here are my top 3:

1. iTunes (open all the time, it's awesome despite the fact I have a lot of requests for it)
2. MacJournal (The coolest note/blogger/journal app out there, with new features almost on a monthly basis, one of the few apps that is being developed at a fast pace where the alphas have already final release character most of the time)
3. SubEthaEdit (Just one of the apps that just have a huge wow factor and are incredibly useful at the same time, writing on the same document with a bunch of people in the network is just awesome)

There are many more that I use on a daily basis, but those have got to be the ones that impressed me most.

You cannot really call them full blown apps but my absolut favourite helper apps of all time have got to be:

• Synergy
• Mail Appetizer

I could not live without these two, they enhance iTunes and Mail so much it is incredible.

freiheit

macrumors 6502a
Jul 20, 2004
California
An old, old, old game

Sonic Screwdriver!!!! Seriously, that's the first thing I ever saw running on a Mac (circa 1985 at my neighbor's house). I would have said Expose, but that's not "an app" per se. Expose is what got me to buy a Mac.

HiRez

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2004
Western US
Seeing MacPaint was what got me into the Macintosh world in the first place, in 1984, and I still think it's probably the most amazing, most innovative program of all time (and was basically evolved into Photoshop, another of my all-time favorite apps). Other great apps would be Cinema4DXL, After Effects, InDesign, iTunes, Final Cut Pro (and more generally QuickTime), and BBEdit. And much as I hate to admit it, Microsoft Word up to around version 4.0 was one fine app. As someone else mentioned, Xcode is a really nice development environment I feel very comfortable in, along with the excellent Interface Builder, the niftiest interface design tool I have ever used. Can't wait for Xcode 2 in Tiger.

Lacero

macrumors 604
Jan 20, 2005
mr_austin said:
favorite app ever: after effects. wow, what a great program.
After Effects is awesome too especially if you have the patience and skillz to pull off some great motion graphics. But I think the interface needs to go darker, like Combustion or Shake.

As for plugins for AE, I'd love to see Adobe acquire Imagineer Systems and come out with a Mokey equivalent. I've been using that program the last few months and it kicks major ass. But it's a bit buggy. Perhaps Apple could buy out that company.

Lacero

macrumors 604
Jan 20, 2005
velocityg4 said:
I must second the motion for Photoshop. It is truly the best.
Agreed. I can't imagine a computer without Photoshop installed on it. I use it for everything.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.