Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

housecat

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 6, 2011
I've got a wired 360 controller here and L4D2. How do I get the controller to work on Lion? I've looked into Gamepad Companion but reviews seem to say it doesn't work. What do you do?

Young Spade

macrumors 68020
Mar 31, 2011
Tallahassee, Florida
I've got a wired 360 controller here and L4D2. How do I get the controller to work on Lion? I've looked into Gamepad Companion but reviews seem to say it doesn't work. What do you do?

1: Stop gaming in Lion
2: Install Windows 7
3: Game in Windows 7
4: Get better overall performance.

I just installed it on bootcamp maybe 2 hours ago and right now I'm trying to find a program like the one you stated that works for Windows and my wired controller.

Read around; you get better performance across the board when you game in windows.

Madd the Sane

macrumors 6502a
Nov 8, 2010
Utah
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

You need a driver to get the 360 controller to work on a Mac.

Messy

macrumors 6502
Sep 5, 2010

I just installed it on bootcamp maybe 2 hours ago and right now I'm trying to find a program like the one you stated that works for Windows and my wired controller.

Read around; you get better performance across the board when you game in windows.

I ****ing hate posts like this, "Buy a better PC", "Install Windows" blah blah blah, he asked a simple question and your answer does now help.

gmarshnyc

macrumors newbie
Jun 28, 2011
360 wireless controller Mac GTA VC/SA

I've had the driver installed since march played many games on myac without problem. If there was a problem usually the driver in coordination with 'controllermate' will always make it work. I just downloaded grand theft auto vice city & San Andreas and the buttons don't seem to work and I can't map them. I've googled it and I'm sure the fix is out there I could not find it. If someone comes across the fix it would be greatly appreciated. The problem is that a few of the buttons are unmapable and the buttons that work really don't work as intended. Thanks for your help in advance.

pstils

macrumors newbie
Feb 15, 2012

Whilst this isn't addressing your problem....he's actually right. Getting hold of a copy of windows and putting it on bootcamp is almost as easy as the other solutions for getting an XBOX 360 controller to work in os x.

Also, as someone with Fifa12 installed on both os x and windows 7, I can definitively tell you that the performance of the game in the windows environment is a million times better: Under osx my fans are churning and the graphics don't look great, under windows the graphics are highest settings possible and the fans aren't going half the speed.

I know it's not the solution you're looking for, but honestly, unless your specific game is optimised for os x, you'll get a better gaming experience in windows - graphics drivers have better support, games are developed more for the windows environment and supported more under windows.

Kludge420

macrumors regular
Apr 20, 2009
Don't waste your time with GamePad Companion. It doesn't work for Xbox 360 or PS3 controllers. It's a POS.

--- Edit ---

I found the problem, GamePad Companion does not like the G15 gaming keyboard and will not work if it's plugged in.

Last edited:

edddeduck

macrumors 68020
Mar 26, 2004
Don't waste your time with GamePad Companion. It doesn't work for Xbox 360 or PS3 controllers. It's a POS.

It is designed to turn a gamepad into a fake keyboard i.e. you press triangle and gamepad companion makes the game think you pressed the keyboard letter A allowing for pads to be used in keyboard only games. For games with gamepads support all Gamepad Companion will do is break the built in support.

PS3 does not need drivers and the tattie boogie ones are the ones you need for Mac support of the 360 pads (wired and wireless work fine).

Edwin

Kludge420

macrumors regular
Apr 20, 2009
It is designed to turn a gamepad into a fake keyboard i.e. you press triangle and gamepad companion makes the game think you pressed the keyboard letter A allowing for pads to be used in keyboard only games. For games with gamepads support all Gamepad Companion will do is break the built in support.

PS3 does not need drivers and the tattie boogie ones are the ones you need for Mac support of the 360 pads (wired and wireless work fine).

Edwin

Thanks, I'm aware of all of that.

I have the XBox 360 driver installed and I have my PS3 controller paired via bluetooth. My comment was, "It does not work." That statement remains true, it doesn't work, it doesn't see any of my game controllers or joysticks. I've rebooted with and without the controllers plugged in but it still no workey.

Oh, and their "support" page is a bad joke.

--- Edit ---

I found the problem, GamePad Companion does not like the G15 gaming keyboard and will not work if it's plugged in.

Last edited:

Fraaaa

macrumors 65816
Mar 22, 2010
London, UK
If no one has sorted it out and you still want the xbox controller to work on Lion check this post. I managed to make it work on 10.7.3 with an Afterglow AX.1 controller.

edddeduck

macrumors 68020
Mar 26, 2004

It could be the G15 Drivers, I recall Logitech mice drivers causing us issues in the past. Although we have not had any issues recently (touch wood).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.