Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

aziatiklover

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jul 12, 2011
8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4
As of right now I sold my iPhone 4 early so I just could buy the iphone 5. Meanwhile I'm using an Android smart phone and I was just wondering how come SL or Lion did not come with Java preinstall? I never noticed this until I installed Android notifier and it asked me to download a 65mb of java! Java good for mac os x?
PS: (I don't have flash in my mac)

Biolizard

macrumors 6502
May 20, 2008
London, United Kingdom
As of OS X Lion, Java SE 6 is a downloadable component. I believe this is to help prevent security holes from being exploited that are as a result of the Java Runtime; if some users don't need the JRE, why leave them open to these exploits?
Snow Leopard does however include Java by default.

When Java SE 7's OS X implementation comes out later this year, that'll probably be a manual download from Oracle's website a la Windows and Linux.

aziatiklover

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jul 12, 2011
8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4
As of OS X Lion, Java SE 6 is a downloadable component. I believe this is to help prevent security holes from being exploited that are as a result of the Java Runtime; if some users don't need the JRE, why leave them open to these exploits?
Snow Leopard does however include Java by default.

When Java SE 7's OS X implementation comes out later this year, that'll probably be a manual download from Oracle's website a la Windows and Linux.

Thanx for the infos man. I guess I'm just gonna go ahead and download it since I had it in SL which I didn't even know until today.:eek:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.