Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mutinygraphiks

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 5, 2011
Las Vegas, NV
This thread is just for reference for future problems for other late 2008 macbook owners.

So recently over the weekend I tried to turn on my White Macbook, all I got was a black screen, the white light turned on so I thought it was being sluggish I waited 10 minutes still nothing.

So I then turned it off and back on and got 3 solid beeps, pause, 3 solid beeps, so in turn I thought it was the logic board, I kept trying and it finally turned on and i backed up everything.

I went ahead and re-installed OSX and it seemed to work fine, the next morning I turned it on and it did the same thing, so I took it to the genius bar they said i had loose ram which caused the black (distorted video and beeps) they took the ram out and put it back in it seemed to work fine, when I got it home I turned it back on it still did the same thing, so I went to frys bought 4gb of 667 Mhz DDR2 SO-Dimm Ram installed it and it has been working flawless since.

So in the end it was just BAD RAM causing the fuss with my computer.:p

gotta love fixing your own computer and not being charged by apple! :apple:

ViPhone

macrumors 6502
Jun 2, 2010
Miami, Florida
I mean, I wish the Genii (Geniuses) had told you to just replace the ram, not that it was loose.

Ideally, I'd like the Genius Bar to tell me the right thing to do.

Mutinygraphiks

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 5, 2011
Las Vegas, NV
I mean, I wish the Genii (Geniuses) had told you to just replace the ram, not that it was loose.

Ideally, I'd like the Genius Bar to tell me the right thing to do.

They did tell me if the problem persists to replace the ram with pc 5300 667mhz and the max i could put in is 4gb so i did when it kept doing this.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.