Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Mac Peripherals

Old Aug 4, 2011, 08:50 PM   #1
roow110
macrumors regular

Apple is not phasing out the Magic Mouse, they are upgrading it.

UPDATE: My suspicions are confirmed. According to Cult of Mac, there will in fact be an updated mouse with new features.

I don't think they have any intention of phasing the mouse out altogether. I think the Magic Mouse was merely a stepping stone leading up to the truly "magic" mouse. I myself have both a Magic Mouse and a Magic Trackpad, but find that each is better for different purposes. The trackpad IS in fact better to use for multitouch gestures because it is awkward to do them on the mouse, however clicking and dragging, and precision work is MUCH easier with a mouse.

I prefer to think that the magic mouse is instead going to be replaced my a more advanced mouse. More like an iPod touch crossed with a mouse. If you keep up on apple's patents, you would see that they have been investing a lot of R&D into future mouse technologies. Now why would they do this if they planned to phase them out altogether?

Based on the patents, they could be building a mouse that features a display, and a camera underneath, giving it many features including:
-Scanning flat imagery beneath the mouse (apple hasn't made a scanner since the 90's) and this would be an amazing way to reduce desktop clutter and bring multiple functions into one tiny device.
-Magnifying text and image and displaying it on top of the mouse.
-Reading text out loud or copying text on paper directly into a word document through text recognition and the camera.
-The screen could display a virtual number pad, since apple has removed the number pad from the majority of its keyboards.
-The screen could even display text, video, or other information.

Imagine a mouse that could magnify images and text beneath it. You could pinch and zoom photos in a book or magazine so you could interact with them as if they were digital images on your iPhone. You could use the mouse for more than clicking, but for typing numbers, and watching videos. Perhaps you could even change the color of the mouse, our have ripple animations on the screen each time you clicked. The possibilites are endless. This may be going too far, but I could even see apps being developed for use on your "truly" magic mouse.

Anyway, that's the end of my rant, heres some images associated with their mouse patents:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	mouse.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	73.2 KB
ID:	297618   Click image for larger version

Name:	mouse2.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	88.4 KB
ID:	297619  

Last edited by roow110; Aug 4, 2011 at 11:15 PM.
roow110 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 4, 2011, 11:08 PM   #2
roow110
macrumors regular

Well... I have to say I told you so although no one seems to have seem the thread, so whatever... But it is confirmed:there IS in fact going to be an upgraded Magic Mouse with new features....
roow110 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5, 2011, 12:30 AM   #3
superericla
macrumors 6502

It should be interesting to see what new features (if any) Apple includes in the new Magic Mouse.
superericla is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5, 2011, 01:52 AM   #4
dzigg
macrumors member

Any chance for a redesign to improve the ergonomics on this thing? I'm currently holding of buying new mouse.. I was gonna get razer orochi, but with lion and all it's gesture, it's a waste to have mouse that can't do most of it.. Either that or buy a magic trackpad.
dzigg is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5, 2011, 11:49 AM   #5
roow110
macrumors regular

A mockup of what the new mouse could look like...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	magic_mouse.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	179.4 KB
ID:	297707  
roow110 is offline   1 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Mac Peripherals

Tags
apple, future, magic, mouse, trackpad