Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TaylorY

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 31, 2011
South Dakota, US
Has anyone ever used Apple TV in your dorm? My roommate and I are considering it because it's about 1/3 the cost of cable and we don't watch a lot of TV beyond Netflix. I really don't know a lot about it, but a few of my concerns are:

- our internet is password protected (as in you have to open up a browser and enter in your information)- is there a workaround so we can still use netflix?
- is it a viable replacement for ordinary cable?
- is it worth it?

Edit: We already have Netflix and Amazon streaming from a free 1 year Amazon Prime subscription for students. Any way we could stream Amazon and potentially Hulu Plus?

Any help appreciated, thanks!

Last edited:

Che Castro

macrumors 603
May 21, 2009
Since u dont have cable

And even tho i hate this device, you should consider the roku since it comes with hulu

Hulu is like $8 a month too

Netflix is more for movies and hulu for tv shows

$16 a month right there not bad

I gotta warn you compare to the apple tv the roku interface is horrendous

btbrossard

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2008
Chicagoland
The Apple TV is nice and works well for Netflix.

However, if you are looking for more options like Hulu Plus and Amazon Streaming, the Ruko is going to be the way to go.

The Ruko will do Netflix, Hulu Plus, and Amazon streaming (and lots more).

As far as the protected wifi - I have no idea. Hopefully someone else can help with that.

Available Ruko channels.

AdrianK

macrumors 68020
Feb 19, 2011
- our internet is password protected (as in you have to open up a browser and enter in your information)- is there a workaround so we can still use netflix?

Since the ATV doesn't have a web browser I don't see how you'll be able to log in. Maybe Apple have thought about this and provided a suitable interface for it, but I really doubt it.

What you could do is share the internet connection from a computer in your dorm, so that it get passed directly to ATV. You'd need to be carful to make sure no one else can use it though (people doing dodgy things with your login = your arse on the line), by using a password or linking to ATV via ethernet cable.

Jbones4710

macrumors newbie
Jun 23, 2011

Any help appreciated, thanks!

I know when I lived at a college dorm and the internet was password protected like that I had to sign in every time I wanted to use the internet. Unfortunately, I'm thinking you probably won't be able to use the apple TV, because it just asks for a password to a router vs. the actual internet connection. If this is different than the Ruko, I am not sure. It's too bad because the Apple TV is amazing (I've had mine for a couple weeks) and I have loved every second of it.

Of course if your dorm has wifi you should be able to stream from your computer/iPod/Iphone/iPad to your Apple TV via itunes because going from one device to another doesn't need the internet, just a way to connect the devices.

steve2237

macrumors newbie
Apr 21, 2008
One other thing to keep in mind is that you don't get access to the streaming video with the free student membership of Amazon Prime. Only paid customers get that feature.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.