Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

douggnz

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 26, 2011
Does anyone else experience this with lion? The machine goes to sleep after not being used for X amount of minutes. You come back and hit space bar to wake it up and the screen turns on but just stays black?

I really love the hardware and dual boot with boot camp and windows 7. I never experience this with windows 7 but have experienced it a few times over the last few days whilst using OS X Lion. What gives?

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
Does anyone else experience this with lion? The machine goes to sleep after not being used for X amount of minutes. You come back and hit space bar to wake it up and the screen turns on but just stays black?

I really love the hardware and dual boot with boot camp and windows 7. I never experience this with windows 7 but have experienced it a few times over the last few days whilst using OS X Lion. What gives?

It could be a Lion issue, as people are reporting it as a bug not just with the 2011 MacBook Air, but with any Mac notebook equipped with an SSD. If you aren't noticing it with Windows 7, then that probably rules out a hardware issue, but a bad logic board can also cause the same problem.

That said, I did have a similar issue last year on my 2010 MacBook Air, and Apple resolved it by giving me a new one (which didn't exhibit the problem). A month later they released a firmware update to address the issue.

douggnz

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 26, 2011
It literally just happened again! I posted this post then went off to make some food, came back and the laptop had gone to sleep. Hit space bar and the backlit keys came to life as expected and the screen lit up but it was blank. Nothing worked but you could hit the volume and brightness keys and I could hear the volume going up and down and the screen brightness went up and down despite showing no image.

Hitting ESC a few times brought up the OS X lock screen and I could unlock it OK.

It's worked fine the last few nights but randomly does this which is annoying! Hopefully they fix it soon if its an OS bug as Windows 7 resumes from sleep flawlessly :(

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
It literally just happened again! I posted this post then went off to make some food, came back and the laptop had gone to sleep. Hit space bar and the backlit keys came to life as expected and the screen lit up but it was blank. Nothing worked but you could hit the volume and brightness keys and I could hear the volume going up and down and the screen brightness went up and down despite showing no image.

Hitting ESC a few times brought up the OS X lock screen and I could unlock it OK.

It's worked fine the last few nights but randomly does this which is annoying! Hopefully they fix it soon if its an OS bug as Windows 7 resumes from sleep flawlessly :(

In your case, it sounds like a software issue. On my 2010 MacBook Air last year, it was similar, except no amount of pressing any keys ever brought the screen back. If it gets worse, though, set up a Genius Bar appointment and have it checked out. If you are within your two week return window, they will usually just give you a new one and restart your warranty.

NutsNGum

macrumors 68030
Jul 30, 2010
Glasgow, Scotland
Here's what solved it for me:

System Preferences > System > Startup Disk > Set to Macintosh HD.

Since doing this, I haven't had a recurrence of the problem.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.