Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Johda

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 21, 2011
Hi!

I upgraded to Lion and everything worked great except some minor bugs due to 3rd party apps. Anyway, I did a backup using Time Machine and now I've done a clean install.
The only thing I want to transfer from Time Machine into the clean Lion install are files. Can I open the Time Machine HD and browse using finder to transfer files? I opened the folder called 'Latest' which is the shortcut to the latest backup folder and is wondering if I can grab the whole 'Documents' folder back in place?

Best regards.

robgendreau

macrumors 68040
Jul 13, 2008
If you wanted simple a regular install was the way to go.

If you just have some data files you can manually copy them over from Time Machine, but best to do a restore or use Migration Ass't. Manually copying will cause you all kinds of headaches down the line; in other words, if you have to ask don't do it.

Rob

Johda

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 21, 2011
I went through the migration assistant, only to recover files.
After a couple of steps it started the progress and when it hit the end it told me that there were incompatible drivers such as my m-audio driver. Thus, it didn't go through.

Now I'm wondering what it was doing during all those minutes, it seemed that it copied files but at the end it told me that it was unsuccessful du to the the incompatible driver it found.

There seemed to be no copied files as I can see but when I went to my shared folder there were files that had been migrated, with the notation (from old mac).

How can the migration assistant tell me that it won't recover the files due to the incompatible driver it found but at the same time had copied files to my shared folder???

Best regards.

yelnref

macrumors member
Aug 27, 2008
If you wanted simple a regular install was the way to go.

What do you mean by 'regular install'?

If you just have some data files you can manually copy them over from Time Machine, but best to do a restore or use Migration Ass't. Manually copying will cause you all kinds of headaches down the line; in other words, if you have to ask don't do it.

Rob

And I'm curious what kind of headaches down the line?

I only ask as I'm gonna need to transfer selective files from a TM backup to a new MBP soon.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.