Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ccs569

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 19, 2011
Trying to get my files from my old MBP to my new MBA and already have a external HD with a firewire cable. Any chance there are converters available besides the $1k display?

Thanks!

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
Trying to get my files from my old MBP to my new MBA and already have a external HD with a firewire cable. Any chance there are converters available besides the $1k display?

Thanks!

A company called Sonnet is supposed to release such an adapter sometime this summer. They haven't said when or how much it will be yet.

clyde2801

macrumors 601
those bastards. why doesnt apple make one?

Simple. It's easier to make money by licensing a part (or charging a company to put on a 'mac compatible' sticker on the part) than it is making the part.

Wait for our larcenous friends in the people's republic to get their hands on some of these peripherals, reverse engineer them, and put them on ebay.

accessoriesguy

macrumors 6502a
Jul 8, 2011
ouch that really sucks, isn't thunderbolt backwards compatible with mini-display port? can't you just get mini display port to fire-wire? (doubt it but what do i know?)

Rasan

macrumors member
Aug 18, 2011
ouch that really sucks, isn't thunderbolt backwards compatible with mini-display port? can't you just get mini display port to fire-wire? (doubt it but what do i know?)

This is a very clever idea, has someone tried it yet?

Edit: Is there even a DP to FW adapter? DP is for Video information only, isnt it?

Last edited:

deeddawg

macrumors G5
Jun 14, 2010
US

Yes, miniDisplayPort works fine in the Thunderbolt port.

No, I don't think anyone has ever done a mDP to Firewire adapter. VGA, DVI, HDMI, yes. Firewire? Don't think I've seen anything like that.

wiregen

macrumors member
Jun 10, 2004
I've been waiting forever on this! Atleast give us a converted to use!! I'm hoping in the future the thunderbolt ports could power 3.5" enclosures without a power supply....or am i just dreaming? lol

EthanMiller

macrumors member
Aug 15, 2011
I've been waiting forever on this! Atleast give us a converted to use!! I'm hoping in the future the thunderbolt ports could power 3.5" enclosures without a power supply....or am i just dreaming? lol

Dream depends on whether or not it makes the transition to LightPeak (the original name for ThunderBolt). With LP, everything was designed to be done using fibre optics and lasers, so really long really fast cables could work. The only disadvantage is that the ports would be unpowered*.

* Theoretically, they could combine optical data and copper power in the same cable. I'm not familiar enough with the spec to know.

phairphan

macrumors 6502a
Sep 21, 2005
Reject Beach
It's anyone's guess. TB currently supplies a max of 10 W, I think just shy of being able to power most 3.5" drives in an external enclosure. The future of TB lies in optical cabling for greater bandwidth. Obviously, this would remove power from the spec unless they come up with a hybrid optical/copper cabling scheme.

Edit: EthanMiller beat me to it.

jackrv

macrumors 6502
Jul 14, 2011
This is a very clever idea, has someone tried it yet?

Edit: Is there even a DP to FW adapter? DP is for Video information only, isnt it?

mDP uses a different cable than thunderbolt, although the connectors are compatible. TB cables have active chips in them to handle the communication timing. I doubt it would work, if such a cable existed, but who knows?

I haven't seen a mDP vs TB cable comparison yet, only a TB cable teardown, so I have no idea if the pinouts are compatible or exactly what role the chips in the cable do.

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
FYI, I contacted Sonnet through the marketing e-mail on one of their press releases, and while they didn't have an update on the availability of the Thunderbolt-to-Firewire adapter, they did say that they will be announcing another Thunderbolt device tomorrow that will ship by the end of October. They also claimed that other previously-announced devices will be shipping "soon."

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
FYI, I contacted Sonnet through the marketing e-mail on one of their press releases, and while they didn't have an update on the availability of the Thunderbolt-to-Firewire adapter, they did say that they will be announcing another Thunderbolt device tomorrow that will ship by the end of October. They also claimed that other previously-announced devices will be shipping "soon."

Apparently it's an ExpressCard 34 adapter.

http://www.sonnettech.com/news/pr2011/pr082511_echo.html

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
I dunno... ~$150 seems rather pricey... do others feel similarly or am I off?

It does, but if it comes with a cable of any kind, consider that Apple charges $50 for that. That said, it does address what had been a shortcoming of Apple's entire notebook line (apart from the 17" Pro), and it opens up the Thunderbolt port to existing adapters such as eSATA or USB 3.0.

Hellhammer

Moderator emeritus
Dec 10, 2008
Finland

Thanks! Put together something on this: http://www.anandtech.com/show/4680/sonnet-announces-thunderbolt-to-expresscard34-adapter

Didn't see any other sites posting it yet which is always a good thing (thanks to you).

It does, but if it comes with a cable of any kind, consider that Apple charges $50 for that. That said, it does address what had been a shortcoming of Apple's entire notebook line (apart from the 17" Pro), and it opens up the Thunderbolt port to existing adapters such as eSATA or USB 3.0.

But you are looking at ~$250 with the card. I think that is a pretty small market, considering that you are limited to "only" 500MB/s. Definitely a good thing that TB devices are starting to show up though.

misterbig

macrumors member
Aug 19, 2010

I'm really disappointed at this product. Not only does it require THREE separate parts to work (ExpressCard, the adapter itself and the Thunderbolt cable), you have to buy the TB cable from Apple. That means you're paying nearly $300 AND lugging around 3 components. Definitely not an elegant nor financially practical solution at all.

I'm looking forward to the day that we see a Thunderbolt to USB3.0 + FW800 hub for less than $200. That I'd buy in a heartbeat.

ankh

macrumors member
Jan 9, 2003
'Express Card' ??
-- will this thing let me plug in old PC-card firewire devices?
"CardBus" or "PC Card" or "PCMCIA Card" is what they were called.

I still have (from a Lombard G3) a
"NewerTechnology FireWire2Go Cardbus Card for Powerbook G3 Series"
and a "IOGear FireWire CardBus Adapter" (3 ports).

Will this "ExpressCard" slot accept and work with these?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.