Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

El Perezadente

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 5, 2011
Before I get battered about posting a blu-ray question in hardware section please read to see that my request is of all hardware.

I like to think im a pretty smart guy, but one thing I have noticed is that many people ay you cant fit the 12.5-7 mm optical blu-ray disk drivers in the MBP, my question is why? people always answer with it wont fit, and if it just cant fit in the purpose of the height of it? if the physical size of the drive's other 2 axis' besides the one coming up (a.k.a. the bottom of the MBP when bottom is removed) cant there just be an extension created for the shell of the bottom layer to fit a bigger drive and just have a sort of rim to extend the bottom shell? which brings me to my next topic, does the sata blu-ray drives that are 12.5-7 mm have the lost located more towards one side so you can align it to the unibody of the MBP? if none of this is possible is there like a company that has made a conversion kit to where you can have a optical drive, external portable hard drive, etc directly connected to the body of your MBP? By either replacement shells or velcro, heck even suction cups? haha sorry but it seems like an obvious fix to me but everyone just lets it go by with a " nope... wont fit" I'm highly interested in following one of these pathways to get something solved, especially since macgo blu-ray player application is out, I've heard mixed stories about it but im sure with enough griping they'd settle things out. I dont personally own an external optical blu-ray drive to test macgo, but if you've put one and two together you'd see where im going with this. Any logical help would be highly appreciated thank you.

getz76

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2009
Hell, AL
I did not get a lot of that.

I have a blu-ray drive in my Mac Pro. It works fine. MacGo's Blu Ray Player is a useless POS; the point of watching a blu-ray is quality, and you lose pretty much all of that with the on-the-fly transcoding that application does.

You are much better off with makeMKV.

Prodo123

macrumors 68020
Nov 18, 2010
Before I get battered about posting a blu-ray question in hardware section please read to see that my request is of all hardware.

I like to think im a pretty smart guy, but one thing I have noticed is that many people ay you cant fit the 12.5-7 mm optical blu-ray disk drivers in the MBP, my question is why? people always answer with it wont fit, and if it just cant fit in the purpose of the height of it? if the physical size of the drive's other 2 axis' besides the one coming up (a.k.a. the bottom of the MBP when bottom is removed) cant there just be an extension created for the shell of the bottom layer to fit a bigger drive and just have a sort of rim to extend the bottom shell? which brings me to my next topic, does the sata blu-ray drives that are 12.5-7 mm have the lost located more towards one side so you can align it to the unibody of the MBP? if none of this is possible is there like a company that has made a conversion kit to where you can have a optical drive, external portable hard drive, etc directly connected to the body of your MBP? By either replacement shells or velcro, heck even suction cups? haha sorry but it seems like an obvious fix to me but everyone just lets it go by with a " nope... wont fit" I'm highly interested in following one of these pathways to get something solved, especially since macgo blu-ray player application is out, I've heard mixed stories about it but im sure with enough griping they'd settle things out. I dont personally own an external optical blu-ray drive to test macgo, but if you've put one and two together you'd see where im going with this. Any logical help would be highly appreciated thank you.

It simply won't fit! We have said this multiple times. Physical size and slot location prevent the 12.7mm slot loaders from working. Since the ODD is installed at the edge of the computer, it must be thin enough to not touch the curve of the back plate.
12.5mm hard drives fit fine, because they are suspended on a rubberized plastic caddy and do not meet the edges of the computer.

Not only that, the only things you can do with a Blu-ray drive in a Mac are either burn Blu-rays, go on Windows to watch movies, or let it waste away. No kext or program currently released will let you READ Blu-ray drives; there's plenty that will let you WRITE.

Why we say "Nope, won't fit" is because the same friggin question has been around for 2 years and people still won't get that the drives are too thick.

JacaByte

macrumors 6502
Dec 26, 2009
He wants to know how to install a blu-ray drive in his MBP.

I found a slot loading 9.5 mm internal blu-ray burner for $999.95. And not only is it obscenely expensive, it's a PATA drive at that, so the most recent MBP it'll work with is the 17" non-unibody MBP.

So if you want an internal blu-ray drive in your MBP, I say forget it.

Edit: Hang on, it never says it's 9.5 mm anywhere. My bad...

Prodo123

macrumors 68020
Nov 18, 2010
He wants to know how to install a blu-ray drive in his MBP.

I found a slot loading 9.5 mm internal blu-ray burner for $999.95. And not only is it obscenely expensive, it's a PATA drive at that, so the most recent MBP it'll work with is the 17" non-unibody MBP.

So if you want an internal blu-ray drive in your MBP, I say forget it.

Edit: Hang on, it never says it's 9.5 mm anywhere. My bad...

We also have said NO SUCH THING EXISTS. THERE IS NO 9.5MM BLU-RAY DRIVE.

Slim-line means 12.7mm. That won't fit.

getz76

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2009
Hell, AL
Not only that, the only things you can do with a Blu-ray drive in a Mac are either burn Blu-rays, go on Windows to watch movies, or let it waste away. No kext or program currently released will let you READ Blu-ray drives; there's plenty that will let you WRITE.

Do you mean play blu-ray movies? That is true.

I can read blu-ray movies in my Samsung drive in my Mac Pro without a problem, but without the low-level DRM drivers necessary, you cannot play a blu-ray movie in OS X.

See makeMKV.

Fry-man22

macrumors 6502
Nov 25, 2007
cant there just be an extension created for the shell of the bottom layer to fit a bigger drive and just have a sort of rim to extend the bottom shell?...

...Any logical help would be highly appreciated thank you.

Your extension for the bottom layer suggestion precludes any logical help here. Logically you would understand the thing doesn't fit. Why in the crap would someone want to make their mac fatter permanently to watch movies? You can rip these using an external and then watch - try that.

There is no "elephant in the room". Connect an external BDD if you want and ride off on your elephant.

On a side note I'm developing a box that attaches to the bottom of your Mac an holds a 3.5" drive so we're not limited to the 1TB space in 2.5" drives. All you have to do is cut out a hole in the bottom case and get a Heliarc welder to fuse the HDD case to the bottom of the Mac. Sure it doesn't sit properly and it's a hack, but I'm going to add another one for RAID0...

snaky69

macrumors 603
Mar 14, 2008
One would take apart the casing on the unibody macbook pro, put it on a mill and remove excess material preventing the blu-ray drive to fit.

Then you'd run into the problem of interference with the battery or side for slot placement, plus the fact that the case of soft aluminum would now be much thinner and weaker at the optical drive side.

You're still left with the fact that blu-ray will not play natively on OS X, so you'd have to have a copy of windows laying around as well.

All of that to watch movies.

I don't know man, but to me, that is pretty useless/stupid.

El Perezadente

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 5, 2011
i continuiously heard about it not fitting, but havent seen anyone show why and how it cannot physically fit, and the only reason I've asked this in the beginning is because i have alot of blu-ray movies, not just to watch other movies later on because i have them now, but it has always been a problem of mine because i am always traveling and i dont want to carry my macbook and a driver, of any sort, or ext battery, etc, but like a mounted rack on the bottm side to be able to hold such items would be nice so i dont always have to continuiously fumble with a loose driver just sitting by at an airport, or in commute, etc. so i was curious if anyone had already created this type of item already, like a 2" slot with a bottom support that could carry and utilize the said items without the worry of disconnecting but ne steadily held in a somewhat like encasing... if that makes sense

Your extension for the bottom layer suggestion precludes any logical help here. Logically you would understand the thing doesn't fit. Why in the crap would someone want to make their mac fatter permanently to watch movies? You can rip these using an external and then watch - try that.

There is no "elephant in the room". Connect an external BDD if you want and ride off on your elephant.

On a side note I'm developing a box that attaches to the bottom of your Mac an holds a 3.5" drive so we're not limited to the 1TB space in 2.5" drives. All you have to do is cut out a hole in the bottom case and get a Heliarc welder to fuse the HDD case to the bottom of the Mac. Sure it doesn't sit properly and it's a hack, but I'm going to add another one for RAID0...

Prodo123

macrumors 68020
Nov 18, 2010
i continuiously heard about it not fitting, but havent seen anyone show why and how it cannot physically fit, and the only reason I've asked this in the beginning is because i have alot of blu-ray movies, not just to watch other movies later on because i have them now, but it has always been a problem of mine because i am always traveling and i dont want to carry my macbook and a driver, of any sort, or ext battery, etc, but like a mounted rack on the bottm side to be able to hold such items would be nice so i dont always have to continuiously fumble with a loose driver just sitting by at an airport, or in commute, etc. so i was curious if anyone had already created this type of item already, like a 2" slot with a bottom support that could carry and utilize the said items without the worry of disconnecting but ne steadily held in a somewhat like encasing... if that makes sense

Would you like to spend $1600 on a slot-loading Blu-ray drive that won't fit just to see if it will fit?
We have stuck DVD drives of the same height in there. They didn't fit. Therefore blu-ray drives won't fit.

Gr80Likes2Boogi

macrumors regular
Oct 3, 2009
NoHo, CA
It cannot fit because there is not enough room for it TO fit. Buy a BDD and take your bottom case off and try to wedge it in there. That's what we mean. We don't need to provide specific measurements to prove it to you.

And for pete's sake, man, use a period!

Sankersizzle

macrumors 6502a
Jun 5, 2010
Canadadada
You guys are noobs. Obviously what we have to do is move the original HDD into an Optibay. Then, we buy the blu ray drive. Then we put a blue ray disk in the blue ray reader. Then install the reader with the blue ray drive in the HDD bay.

Then you have a blue ray player that will only play one blue ray, but god dammit you have a blue ray player.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.