Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CarlHeanerd

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 29, 2008
Adams County, PA
I have a 20" iMac from mid 2007, 2.4GHz C2D model. I currently have 3GB of RAM installed, just adding a 2GB stick to the existing 1GB. I am considering upgrading to the max capacity now however, I am getting conflicted reports as to how much this puppy can take. OWC listed the iMac 7,1 as taking a max of 6GB, one 2GB stick and a 4GB stick. However, Apple's documentation says that the system takes only 2x2GB sticks, 4 GB total.

Has anyone here tried 6GB? I have found a few 4GB DDR2 667MHz sticks, so they're not too hard to find. When I think about it, what would stop me from getting 2x4GB sticks to increase to a total of 8GB?

Anyways, what is the general consensus on this? Thanks!

Last edited:

Jerome Morrow

macrumors 6502a
Jun 13, 2011
United Kingdom
I have a 20" iMac from mid 2007, 320GB model. I currently have 3GB of RAM installed, just adding a 2GB stick to the existing 1GB. I am considering upgrading to the max capacity now however, I am getting conflicted reports as to how much this puppy can take. OWC listed the iMac as taking a max of 6GB, one 2GB stick and a 4GB stick. However, Apple's documentation says that the system takes only 2x2GB sticks, 4 GB total.

Has anyone here tried 6GB? I have found a few 4GB DDR2 667MHz sticks, so they're not too hard to find. When I think about it, what would stop me from getting 2x4GB sticks to increase to a total of 8GB?

Anyways, what is the general consensus on this? Thanks!

6GB is the maximum, but i haven't tried 6GB. 8 GB might work, but most likley you will see just 6 GB.

Badger^2

macrumors 68000
Oct 29, 2009
Sacramento
The general consensus is that OWC really knows.

Apple stops testing as soon as its released, regardless of the fact that new larger chips may be out.

Are you sure you really need to go to 6 gigs of ram? What is making you think you need more ram? What are you doing with your iMac? $8o is kinda spendy for an older iMac (worth about $500). You will *not* see things get "faster" with more ram.

If you havent upgraded your drive from the stock 320 gig, getting a larger and faster drive *would* speed things up, if thats what you are hoping to do.

CarlHeanerd

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 29, 2008
Adams County, PA
I'm doing my best to make this computer as future proof as possible, I need to squeeze another 4 years out of it for university.

I've seen benchmarks for 4 vs 6gb installs, 6 is remarkably better in this iMac's case for rendering.

For HDD's I was looking at a 1TB WD Caviar Black. I'm competent with computers to the point where I could install it myself, so I'll save money there.

Also I'll need a new CD/DVD RW+- drive. Mine is spotty at best.

lucasanti

macrumors newbie
Oct 19, 2012
Also interested in this issue as I have a 20inch imac 7,1 as well. I upgraded the ram to 4g from 2g last year and now I want to further upgrade it because I've found that if I am editing photos in photoshop while running other programs, my system slows down a lot and I get impatient with the constant swirling beachball.

Some time ago I saw that a faster clock speed of the ram I bought is available. (I have 667). SO the question is really whether to get the faster speed ram if it is in fact available and compatible with my machine or whether to max it out to the 6g if in fact that is the max and not the 4g I was told when I purchased the machine back in 2007.

These are the particulars of my machine:

Model Name: iMac
Model Identifier: iMac7,1
Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
Processor Speed: 2 GHz
Number Of Processors: 1
Total Number Of Cores: 2
L2 Cache: 4 MB
Memory: 4 GB
Bus Speed: 800 MHz
Boot ROM Version: IM71.007A.B03
SMC Version (system): 1.20f4
Serial Number (system): W8745JXTX85
Hardware UUID: 00000000-0000-1000-8000-001B63B4DAFB

wankel

macrumors newbie
Oct 23, 2012
Hello guys, i have imac 7,1 too. at the monent with 4gb (2X2GB) and i will try to up it to 6gb. i found this memory:
Module Size: 4GB
Package: 200-pin SODIMM
Feature: DDR2 PC2-5300
Specs: DDR2 PC2-5300 • CL=5 • Unbuffered • NON-ECC • DDR2-667 • 1.8V • 512Meg x 64 •

I suppose it will be good fot my mac, can some one confirm it please?

:confused:

Thanks everybody!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.