Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

qwerf123

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 23, 2011
UK
Am I the only one facing issues getting a fully working 13" MBA as expected without any problems?

The first one I got had a faulty track pad,

The 2nd was over heating and the display was not working properly,

And the third was making a buzzing sound each time the trackpad was used.

Just got my forth and hopefully my last one now! Will be able to check it later so hopefully I'll be lucky

Is anyone else facing issues with the quality of their new 2011 MacBooks Airs?

CaliforniaKing

macrumors member
Aug 5, 2011
Am I the only one facing issues getting a fully working 13" MBA as expected without any problems?

The first one I got had a faulty track pad,

The 2nd was over heating and the display was not working properly,

And the third was making a buzzing sound each time the trackpad was used.

Just got my forth and hopefully my last one now! Will be able to check it later so hopefully I'll be lucky

Is anyone else facing issues with the quality of their new 2011 MacBooks Airs?

You are the most ridiculous Apple costumer I've ever seen. Returning a laptop 4 times over the most insignificant problems. The Apple store should ban you, and even consider suing you for this nonsense!

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
I was in a similar situation with my 2010 MacBook Air. The first one was replaced after 2 days because it wouldn't wake from sleep (it had a bad logic board). Then the second one kept getting kernel panics (it was getting them at least twice a week). It was repaired and the kernel panics went away, but then it had a stuck pixel. At that point I sold it on eBay and bought an 11" that was trouble free until I sold it for my 2011, which (knock on wood) appears trouble free right now.

idroid84

macrumors newbie
Aug 4, 2011
You are the most ridiculous Apple costumer I've ever seen. Returning a laptop 4 times over the most insignificant problems. The Apple store should ban you, and even consider suing you for this nonsense!

If these were indeed the real issues, I don't think returns were unwarranted.

I'm confused. Why you 2 saying this when the problems that the OP had are faulty track pad, display was not working properly and buzzing sound. Yes these problems should be replaced as they are hardware faults.

InsightsIE

macrumors 6502a
Sep 29, 2008
Those issues deserve to return the product after spending all that money.

Was yours a BTO?

CaliforniaKing

macrumors member
Aug 5, 2011
I'm confused. Why you 2 saying this when the problems that the OP had are faulty track pad, display was not working properly and buzzing sound. Yes these problems should be replaced as they are hardware faults.

Faulty trackpad and buzzing sound are things that could be easily repaired by a genius, but this scammer would rather force Apple to lose out on over $5,000 by returning laptops that cannot be resold! I'm willing to bet he has four $100 app store gift cards now too!

bookwormsy

macrumors 6502
Jul 7, 2010

How is a faulty trackpad, and display and a buzzing insignificant? Banning and suing for wanting a working product? What crap is going through your mind? :confused:

BTW ive seen and heard of many people exchanging their stuff for much less.

tekkietekkie

macrumors member
Aug 26, 2010
Faulty trackpad and buzzing sound are things that could be easily repaired by a genius, but this scammer would rather force Apple to lose out on over $5,000 by returning laptops that cannot be resold! I'm willing to bet he has four $100 app store gift cards now too!

and how do you know he didnt take it back to an apple store and they gave him another laptop instead of fixing it, either way these are all legit issues if I had gotten 2 bad ones in a row I would have told them to stick it and give me my money back

CaliforniaKing

macrumors member
Aug 5, 2011
and how do you know he didnt take it back to an apple store and they gave him another laptop instead of fixing it, either way these are all legit issues if I had gotten 2 bad ones in a row I would have told them to stick it and give me my money back

so you're suggesting he actually took the time to go to 3 genius bar appointments. Lets be realistic, he is obviously trying to scam Apple by returning MacBook Airs, getting his money back and returning to the store and buying a new one; getting another $100 App Store gift card!

Surely

Oct 27, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
If these were indeed the real issues, I don't think returns were unwarranted.

You are confused. Hans Brix's comment means that the OP did have good reasons to return those MBAs for new ones.

And I agree.....if I bought a MBA, and I experienced those issues, I would have taken it back to the Apple Store until I was given one that worked properly.

CaliforniaKing: wtf are you talking about?:rolleyes:

mak713

macrumors member
Sep 29, 2007
If you replace your laptop for a genuine reason, they don't give you a Mac App Store Gift Card every single time.

Last edited by a moderator:

Bob Coxner

macrumors 6502a
Mar 24, 2011

What do you mean can't be resold? Where the hell are the thousands of refurbs for sale coming from? At prices not all that lower than new. Apple has 40% profit margins. I think it can survive a few returns that are then resold for a bit less than new ones.

You don't get another gift card when you make a return.

CaliforniaKing

macrumors member
Aug 5, 2011
If you replace your laptop for a genuine reason, they don't give you a Mac App Store Gift Card every single time.

Mak

Yes they would. If the money was returned back onto his credit card, he could easily just purchase another, probably even under the same name and Apple would most likely never even notice!

Last edited by a moderator:

CaliforniaKing

macrumors member
Aug 5, 2011
That's not how it works.:rolleyes:

then please explain how it works. When you return Mac to Apple, you are given a full refund! You are then free to do whatever you want with that money. So what is stopping someone from purchasing another Mac and benefiting from another App Store gift card. Apple does not require you to return the gift card along with the laptop!

Surely

Oct 27, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
then please explain how it works. When you return Mac to Apple, you are given a full refund! You are then free to do whatever you want with that money. So what is stopping someone from purchasing another Mac and benefiting from another App Store gift card. Apple does not require you to return the gift card along with the laptop!

Okay, it's pretty simple:

They don't refund and recharge you for anything. Apple just gives you a new machine to replace the defective one.

mac jones

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2006

Geesh, what gigantic bug crawled up your canal? :D

The guy had legitimate issues. He should be commended for perseverance.

He's a cedit to the Apple community. He's my hero :)

(he deserves a free T-shirt at least) :D

CaliforniaKing

macrumors member
Aug 5, 2011
Okay, it's pretty simple:

They don't refund and recharge you for anything. Apple just gives you a new machine to replace the defective one.

You can request a refund rather than a replacement!
screenshot20110805at317.png

Fernandez21

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2010

They require you to return the gift card, and if you don't they will charge you the $100, quit being an @$$.

NameUndecided

macrumors 6502a
Mar 28, 2011
Yikes. Strange how some people are making the assumption that he's scamming the apple store rather than that he's just honestly had the bad luck that he described. Whether the complaints were legitimate or not is up in the air - only qwerf has firsthand knowledge of the situation - but it could easily go either way.

If I had these issues on a new computer and the only/best solution that I knew of was to take them to the apple store and mention the problems, then that's what I would do too. The apple store people aren't going to trade in a third/fourth new Air if they know how to easily fix the problem and the computer isn't actually faulty.

Blame and sue a customer for returning a product (after the return was granted, even)? How terrible are you / would you be at running a business? Or working in customer service or in retail? Or not being a batsh¡t crazy person?

Surely

Oct 27, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
You can request a refund rather than a replacement!

So what? The OP wanted and got a replacement. He didn't mention once that he got a refund and then bought another MBA. Where are you getting any of this from?:confused:

I guarantee you that if you try to return a Mac that came with a $100 App Store gift card, you'll have to return the gift card as well (or pay the difference). How dumb do you think Apple is?

You are clearly no king of CA.

CaliforniaKing

macrumors member
Aug 5, 2011
So what? The OP wanted and got a replacement. He didn't mention once that he got a refund and then bought another MBA. Where are you getting any of this from?:confused:

I guarantee you that if you try to return a Mac that came with a $100 App Store gift card, you'll have to return the gift card as well (or pay the difference). How dumb do you think Apple is?

Pretty dumb! I purchased a MBA and got the App Store gift card. Nowhere on my receipt does it say anything about the card. So Apple has no way of knowing if you received a gift card or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.