Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > iCloud and Apple Services

Old Aug 5, 2011, 01:48 PM   #1
Cyacene
macrumors member

iBooks sync in iCloud?

I know that books purchased through the iBooks store, and your bookmarks will all be kept in sync, but what about books I bring in myself to iBooks through the "open in iBooks" option or through the iTunes installed apps section.

Has anyone tried this? Did the non Apple epub books show up on all devices?
Cyacene is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5, 2011, 11:13 PM   #2
HelveticaNeue
macrumors 6502a

Even in iOS 4 iBooks syncs notes and bookmarks for books not purchased through the iBookstore, so I am certain this functionality will continue after the shift to iCloud.
Old Aug 10, 2011, 08:51 AM   #3
david77
macrumors regular

Are PDFs that you save into iBooks supposed to sync? Or is that coming with iCloud?
david77 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10, 2011, 01:24 PM   #4
Dwalls90
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by HelveticaNeue View Post
Even in iOS 4 iBooks syncs notes and bookmarks for books not purchased through the iBookstore, so I am certain this functionality will continue after the shift to iCloud.
I would assume too this will be transitioned to iCloud.

Quote:
Originally Posted by david77 View Post
Are PDFs that you save into iBooks supposed to sync? Or is that coming with iCloud?
I would assume PDFs are classified as documents to Apple, thus they should be synced via cloud too. According to Apple you shouldn't have any non-PDF, non-iBookstore documents in your iBook library, so I don't see them supporting non purchased ebooks.
Old Aug 10, 2011, 02:59 PM   #5
shandyman
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwalls90 View Post
I would assume PDFs are classified as documents to Apple, thus they should be synced via cloud too. According to Apple you shouldn't have any non-PDF, non-iBookstore documents in your iBook library, so I don't see them supporting non purchased ebooks.
i'm using iOS 5 and none of my books (imported into iBooks from elsewhere and 3 bought in iBooks) were restored, i'm assuming we have to wait for an iBooks update on official iOS5 launch day for this feature.
shandyman is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10, 2011, 03:50 PM   #6
Dwalls90
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by shandyman View Post
i'm using iOS 5 and none of my books (imported into iBooks from elsewhere and 3 bought in iBooks) were restored, i'm assuming we have to wait for an iBooks update on official iOS5 launch day for this feature.
Well of course. iCloud services are enabled, but not the actual cloud syncing features. Haven't documents just only recently been "turned on"? If iBooks iCloud sycning was enabled, so would music, ect.

That said, iBooks has previous asked if one wanted to sync on even iOS 4 wirelessly
Old Aug 10, 2011, 04:28 PM   #7
shandyman
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwalls90 View Post
Well of course. iCloud services are enabled, but not the actual cloud syncing features. Haven't documents just only recently been "turned on"? If iBooks iCloud sycning was enabled, so would music, ect.

That said, iBooks has previous asked if one wanted to sync on even iOS 4 wirelessly
iBooks still syncs bookmarks, i'm not talking about that. I'm talking about books themselves. documents in the cloud was enabled in beta 4, so the fact that it didn't do it to beta 5 just shows that Apple's iBooks app is due an update on launch.

I know that some apps will restore some things from a backup, my facebook app, beejive app, etc all restore with my logins and accounts, etc.
shandyman is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > iCloud and Apple Services