Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > iCloud and Apple Services

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Aug 5, 2011, 12:48 PM   #1
Cyacene
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
iBooks sync in iCloud?

I know that books purchased through the iBooks store, and your bookmarks will all be kept in sync, but what about books I bring in myself to iBooks through the "open in iBooks" option or through the iTunes installed apps section.

Has anyone tried this? Did the non Apple epub books show up on all devices?
Cyacene is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5, 2011, 10:13 PM   #2
HelveticaNeue
macrumors 6502a
 
HelveticaNeue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Even in iOS 4 iBooks syncs notes and bookmarks for books not purchased through the iBookstore, so I am certain this functionality will continue after the shift to iCloud.
__________________
My tombstone will be in Helvetica.
HelveticaNeue is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10, 2011, 07:51 AM   #3
david77
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Are PDFs that you save into iBooks supposed to sync? Or is that coming with iCloud?
david77 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10, 2011, 12:24 PM   #4
Dwalls90
macrumors 68040
 
Dwalls90's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by HelveticaNeue View Post
Even in iOS 4 iBooks syncs notes and bookmarks for books not purchased through the iBookstore, so I am certain this functionality will continue after the shift to iCloud.
I would assume too this will be transitioned to iCloud.

Quote:
Originally Posted by david77 View Post
Are PDFs that you save into iBooks supposed to sync? Or is that coming with iCloud?
I would assume PDFs are classified as documents to Apple, thus they should be synced via cloud too. According to Apple you shouldn't have any non-PDF, non-iBookstore documents in your iBook library, so I don't see them supporting non purchased ebooks.
__________________
MacBook Pro 2820QM + iPhone 5s
Dwalls90 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10, 2011, 01:59 PM   #5
shandyman
macrumors 601
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Newbury, UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwalls90 View Post
I would assume PDFs are classified as documents to Apple, thus they should be synced via cloud too. According to Apple you shouldn't have any non-PDF, non-iBookstore documents in your iBook library, so I don't see them supporting non purchased ebooks.
i'm using iOS 5 and none of my books (imported into iBooks from elsewhere and 3 bought in iBooks) were restored, i'm assuming we have to wait for an iBooks update on official iOS5 launch day for this feature.
shandyman is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10, 2011, 02:50 PM   #6
Dwalls90
macrumors 68040
 
Dwalls90's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by shandyman View Post
i'm using iOS 5 and none of my books (imported into iBooks from elsewhere and 3 bought in iBooks) were restored, i'm assuming we have to wait for an iBooks update on official iOS5 launch day for this feature.
Well of course. iCloud services are enabled, but not the actual cloud syncing features. Haven't documents just only recently been "turned on"? If iBooks iCloud sycning was enabled, so would music, ect.

That said, iBooks has previous asked if one wanted to sync on even iOS 4 wirelessly
__________________
MacBook Pro 2820QM + iPhone 5s
Dwalls90 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10, 2011, 03:28 PM   #7
shandyman
macrumors 601
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Newbury, UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwalls90 View Post
Well of course. iCloud services are enabled, but not the actual cloud syncing features. Haven't documents just only recently been "turned on"? If iBooks iCloud sycning was enabled, so would music, ect.

That said, iBooks has previous asked if one wanted to sync on even iOS 4 wirelessly
iBooks still syncs bookmarks, i'm not talking about that. I'm talking about books themselves. documents in the cloud was enabled in beta 4, so the fact that it didn't do it to beta 5 just shows that Apple's iBooks app is due an update on launch.

I know that some apps will restore some things from a backup, my facebook app, beejive app, etc all restore with my logins and accounts, etc.
shandyman is online now   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > iCloud and Apple Services

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Google calendar sync in iCloud w/ SL? sandimacd iCloud and Apple Services 0 Nov 6, 2011 04:36 PM
Are apps synced in iCloud? jimketter iCloud and Apple Services 4 Oct 26, 2011 09:51 AM
Why no sync in iCloud? DennisMadsen iCloud and Apple Services 1 Oct 12, 2011 05:02 AM
App sync in iCloud Menel iPhone 4 Sep 14, 2011 11:02 AM
iWork sync in iCloud va1984 iCloud and Apple Services 1 Jul 12, 2011 06:24 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:39 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC