Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Aug 5, 2011, 01:17 PM   #1
hdsalinas
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: San Pedro Sula, Honduras
Send a message via Skype™ to hdsalinas
Iphone: ghost emails or false alerts

Hi,

I have owned my iphone4 for about a month now, and since last week I have heard (I have it in a dock next to my imac) random "false" alerts as if I had received a new email - but when i look in my inbox there is nothing new -ghost email?.

I have looked for new sms, facebook notifications or anything that would generate a badge but there is nothing new.

What could generate these random alerts (about two during the day)?
__________________
HDSalinas
iPhone 4 / 21" Imac / 15" MBP
hdsalinas is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5, 2011, 01:34 PM   #2
grantsdale
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: May 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by hdsalinas View Post
Hi,

I have owned my iphone4 for about a month now, and since last week I have heard (I have it in a dock next to my imac) random "false" alerts as if I had received a new email - but when i look in my inbox there is nothing new -ghost email?.

I have looked for new sms, facebook notifications or anything that would generate a badge but there is nothing new.

What could generate these random alerts (about two during the day)?
Probably a different app that does push notifications that you don't think to check.
grantsdale is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5, 2011, 01:35 PM   #3
ckurt25
macrumors 6502a
 
ckurt25's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Grand Rapids, MI
I've noticed something similar on mine. At times it's a real "ghost" item and other times I've noticed that if I'm using the phone and see that there is a new email and maybe it's not completely downloaded I can delete it but it'll vibrate 5-30 seconds later when it downloads and I guess ends up in trash.
But like I said, other times it does what you're describing. Werid...
__________________
lots of stuff
ckurt25 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5, 2011, 02:14 PM   #4
LIVEFRMNYC
macrumors 68040
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
I was going to make a completely differ thread about something simular. I get these emails that reads .....

(No Sender)
(No Subject)
This message has no content

I can't open or delete them and it stays as a new email. Eventually, usually within the day it would just dissapear. I tried to single it out to a certain email box and nothing, it only shows up in the "All Inboxes" tab.

This happens at random and started happening around 2 months ago.
LIVEFRMNYC is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5, 2011, 02:21 PM   #5
ckurt25
macrumors 6502a
 
ckurt25's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Grand Rapids, MI
Quote:
Originally Posted by LIVEFRMNYC View Post
I was going to make a completely differ thread about something simular. I get these emails that reads .....

(No Sender)
(No Subject)
This message has no content

I can't open or delete them and it stays as a new email. Eventually, usually within the day it would just dissapear. I tried to single it out to a certain email box and nothing, it only shows up in the "All Inboxes" tab.

This happens at random and started happening around 2 months ago.
I get those too. Again, I think that happens as partial data is downloaded from your email servers to the phone. It knows something is there but not the sender, subject or body. If I see one of those I set the phone down and some time later (a minute, maybe 5) go back and that message isn't there any more. I've also seen where the sender is there, I click on the message and there is no body to the email. Again, put the phone down and go back later and it's there.
__________________
lots of stuff
ckurt25 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5, 2011, 02:28 PM   #6
LIVEFRMNYC
macrumors 68040
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
The thing is I never got thoses until I updated to 4.3.3. I am jailbroken tho.
LIVEFRMNYC is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5, 2011, 02:35 PM   #7
ckurt25
macrumors 6502a
 
ckurt25's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Grand Rapids, MI
Quote:
Originally Posted by LIVEFRMNYC View Post
The thing is I never got thoses until I updated to 4.3.3. I am jailbroken tho.
Jailbusted here too. I honestly can't say how long thats been happening with me.
__________________
lots of stuff
ckurt25 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Has anyone experienced false "new text" alerts as in (1) for the convo you're in? TH55 iPhone 4 Nov 8, 2013 06:48 AM
Anyone getting ghost unread emails? dugbug iOS 7 7 Jul 30, 2013 11:54 AM
Wireless Emergency Alerts (Government Alerts) Not Working on VZW iPhone 4 fotomatt1 iPhone 4 May 9, 2013 11:26 AM
Not getting alerts for emails andrewjh07 iPhone 2 Nov 2, 2012 04:14 PM
Facebook integration - eliminating emails, but keeping banner alerts... YoNadz iOS 6 0 Sep 22, 2012 02:44 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:18 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC