Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gregorsamsa

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Anyone playing more recent Total War games in Boot Camp (Windows 7) on new Mini with HD 6630M & 256 GDDR5 VRAM? I know the older Rome & Medieval 2 will run okay, but what about later TW games?

Granted the Mini's 256 VRAM ain't much, but at least Apple give us the newer GDDR5 type that offers a wider bandwidth than the older DDR3 many GPUs have.

I'm specifically interested in performance when playing "Empire: TW". However, my question applies equally to Napoleon & Shogun 2.

BTW, why don't I find out for myself? I'm about to buy a new Mini & if these games run okay on the higher-end Mini, I'd buy that. If not & one has to turn off too many graphical effects to play the later TW games, then I'll buy the cheaper HD 3000 Mini, which will be perfect for all my other needs.

Thanks in advance for any replies. :)

gregorsamsa

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Empire will run, but not very well. To run these games properly without reducing the settings you'd need a Mac Pro at the least and ideally a custom gaming PC.

Thanks! Thought as much, but wasn't sure.

I already have a PC, but also far too much clutter on both my desks (inc. an old PPC iMac for the matte screen & older OS X stuff) & little physical room for further expansion. However, I hope to be moving home soon.

Just wondered whether it'd be worthwhile buying the higher-end Mini for Total War gaming at higher settings in Boot Camp, then packing away my PC until I've moved. Thanks to your clarification, looks like the new low-end Mini will do me fine & the PC is staying put. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.