Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

eurosat

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 13, 2011
Hi,

I've got my '11 MBA for more than two weeks now, and I simply love it (my first Mac). When I'll be on the go, I plan to put it in a well-padded sleeve which is going to slip into my Messenger Bag. The other things in this bag are a large binder and / or some books.

I'm pretty sure that the Air is safe in its sleeve and the Laptop compartment of the bag, though I'm a bit paranoid of trying it out...

Has anyone had the issue of permanent keyboard marks on the screen of his / her 2010 or 2011 MBA?

Thanks in advance

3bs

macrumors 603
May 20, 2011
Dublin, Ireland
I don't think I've ever had any marks on my screen. Not from the keyboard. I do use a sleeve from time to time and put that sleeve in my bag. Don't think you should have any trouble there

eckthroi

macrumors regular
Mar 10, 2011
Im curious about this too. I am thinking of buying a moshi shieldpad for my 11" because of my fear about this. Please anyone respond before I possibly waste money.

eurosat

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 13, 2011
Some additional Info: I've googled this topic and all threads with people having such an issue were related to the 2008 model. That makes me think that this can't happen with today's model.

pcines

macrumors newbie
Jan 7, 2012
Marks!!!

Yes, unfortunately, my macbook air keyboard left marks on my screen. I HATE IT. It left outlines of all of the keys, the trackpad, and that space between the keyboard and the trackpad. It looks awful. I've always used a case, the BookBook (look it up, its awesome) and i'm so disappointed. I'm thinking of getting a screen protector.

chrono1081

macrumors G3
Jan 26, 2008
Isla Nublar
Any laptop has the potential to get marks on the screen if enough pressure is applied to it long enough.

That being said my air has never gotten any marks *knock on wood* and its usually crammed in a sleeve inside a well stuffed backpack.

Robyr

macrumors regular
Feb 21, 2010
Is it really that big of a deal to just clean the screen? I mean seriously.

My MBA has never had any marks left on the screen. My MBP had them, but its simply from the oils on the keys. Wiped right away.

I am beginning to think that many Mac users are hypochondriacs.

TheRealDamager

macrumors 65816
Jan 5, 2011
This can happen if you carry the unit in a bag where it gets lots or pressure (books in a backpack for example). Some people recommend a keyboard cloth - you just lay it down before you close the unit.

connorxxl

macrumors newbie
Mar 5, 2007
Hello,

I had this problem with a brandnew 2011 Air. Could clearly see the first two rows of keys on my display, sometimes dust on a screen is an advantage.
My shop told me to use a cloth between keyboard and screen, now no more problems (although it looks a bit weird to remove the cloth and out it in again).

Not sure if that's a common problem with the 2011 model. My shop was not surprised...

Chris

Robyr

macrumors regular
Feb 21, 2010
Hello,

I had this problem with a brandnew 2011 Air. Could clearly see the first two rows of keys on my display, sometimes dust on a screen is an advantage.
My shop told me to use a cloth between keyboard and screen, now no more problems (although it looks a bit weird to remove the cloth and out it in again).

Not sure if that's a common problem with the 2011 model. My shop was not surprised...

Chris

Or, do nothing, realize that the marks are cleanable and not even seen when the backlight is on, and get on with your life.

WstCstCmtr

macrumors member
Nov 9, 2008
West Coast
Is it really that big of a deal to just clean the screen? I mean seriously.

My MBA has never had any marks left on the screen. My MBP had them, but its simply from the oils on the keys. Wiped right away.

I am beginning to think that many Mac users are hypochondriacs.

The marks don't "clean off". The problem is with pressure and a little movement in any direction there is a potential for the keys to rub the screen. Effectively etching it. It not cleanable.

----------

This is exactly why I have been looking for some sort of Rigid case/briefcase/bag. I started a thread about it but not much interest.

A backpack that had a rigid laptop compartment would be cool.

My other idea was like a pelican case with cut to fit foam. Could be cool. Everything has it's own place in the foam.

MBHockey

macrumors 601
Oct 4, 2003
Connecticut
i've always used Radtech's ScreenSavrz with my mac portables to keep the keys from hitting the screen. But i've read on here and on amazon that the radtech cloths are too thick for the MacBook Air to properly close. anyone know of any other, thinner products that are similar? on their site radtech only gives the length and width dimensions, but not the depth of the cloth.

I realize this is a bit over the top OCD but I like to take good care of my Macs.

Last edited:

WstCstCmtr

macrumors member
Nov 9, 2008
West Coast
I don't think it is over the top. They get compressed and they will leave permanent marks on the screen! It's a big investment, might as well spend 20$ more to protect it.

People that don't understand and think the marks wipe away have never *really* traveled with their laptop.

Robyr

macrumors regular
Feb 21, 2010
I don't think it is over the top. They get compressed and they will leave permanent marks on the screen! It's a big investment, might as well spend 20$ more to protect it.

People that don't understand and think the marks wipe away have never *really* traveled with their laptop.

Not only do I friggin BIKE COMMUTE with my Air, I did the exact same with my Pro. The Pro did get smudges, but it seriously just oils from the keys. I want ONE picture of a plastic key scratching a screen. I have seen no evidence besides the thread posted earlier, and that looked like genuine misuse. No piece of cloth is going to stop the trackpad bridge from impressing the screen when the notebook is compressed.

Waste your money all you want. A fool is born every minute, and companies will gladly take your money.

PinkyMacGodess

Suspended
Mar 7, 2007
Midwest America.
My original MacBook Pro did leave permanent marks on the screen. I have a keyboard condom on my newer MBP and it leaves marks too but they do eventually scrub off. I use a 3M auto finishing cloth that works above anything that I have ever tried before and it just erases the damn smudges, and cleans my glasses and car windows spotless. I think they are the 06016 and come 6 in a bag and work even after being washed/dried and keep their shape and don't curl or fall apart like some of the cheaper brands do.

digitalhen

macrumors regular
Jan 10, 2006
My Sony SZ's screen was badly damaged by the palm rest, and the keys. It deeply etched the screen. So it can happen.

That said, my Pro glossy often gets keyboard prints, which wipe away. My Pro high res (with the slightly recessed screen) has never had any problems at all.

My current 11" Air is sporting a Shaggymac protector, but it's getting to be a hassle. I'll probably just live without except when traveling on planes etc.

WstCstCmtr

macrumors member
Nov 9, 2008
West Coast
Not only do I friggin BIKE COMMUTE with my Air, I did the exact same with my Pro. The Pro did get smudges, but it seriously just oils from the keys. I want ONE picture of a plastic key scratching a screen. I have seen no evidence besides the thread posted earlier, and that looked like genuine misuse. No piece of cloth is going to stop the trackpad bridge from impressing the screen when the notebook is compressed.

Waste your money all you want. A fool is born every minute, and companies will gladly take your money.

Ok so. Mac in a backpack while riding a bike is not traveling. Try traveling 250k miles a year via plane, train, bus, boat. The whole point is that if the bag gets COMPRESSED (kinda hard to do on your back) it will cause friction. Not too hard to understand that.

On my old macbook you don't have to see anything on the screen. you can actually feel the ruts.

Please, a bike commute is probably easier on it than most other forms of commuting.

p.s. I commute train to flight to connection to work everyweek. 9 hours minimum. Bags get squished.

Robyr

macrumors regular
Feb 21, 2010
Ok so. Mac in a backpack while riding a bike is not traveling. Try traveling 250k miles a year via plane, train, bus, boat. The whole point is that if the bag gets COMPRESSED (kinda hard to do on your back) it will cause friction. Not too hard to understand that.

On my old macbook you don't have to see anything on the screen. you can actually feel the ruts.

Please, a bike commute is probably easier on it than most other forms of commuting.

p.s. I commute train to flight to connection to work everyweek. 9 hours minimum. Bags get squished.

I am still waiting on proof. Out side of misuse, I posit that it can NEVER damage the notebook. Don't compress your $1k+ machine? Or, better yet, since "bags get squished" be cognizant of your equipment. In any case, if you are compressing the Air in some way that the keyboard and trackpad bridge can touch, it is misuse. Plain and simple.

You are a truly odd person that thinks a 15 mile bike commute through all conditions is somehow easier on equipment than milling your self through a line at the airport. Also, my laptop and other equipment is strapped to a hard metal rack, not my relatively soft back. It would be the equivalent to you going through the airport is suppose..... if the airport was a cement mixer.

EDIT: I also like your attempt at being an elitist. I travel to some of the worst areas in southeast Asia regularly for security audits of new acquisitions. You don't know the half of travelling hard. The beach in Spain isn't some wonderfeat to reach, bud.

anirudh

macrumors 6502
Feb 28, 2008
India
There seems to be a lot of difference of opinion here. I think it would make things much clearer if everyone commenting would point out how they carry their Airs. Backpacks, cases, padded/ hard sleeves, dedicated pouch in the bag etc.

It might help future buyers and new Air owners like me who frankly speaking is scared about the marks after reading a few threads:eek:

glen e

macrumors 68030
Jun 19, 2010
Ft Lauderdale
There seems to be a lot of difference of opinion here. I think it would make things much clearer if everyone commenting would point out how they carry their Airs. Backpacks, cases, padded/ hard sleeves, dedicated pouch in the bag etc.

It might help future buyers and new Air owners like me who frankly speaking is scared about the marks after reading a few threads:eek:

who the hell gets "scared"? Put a piece of cloth inside and never have a problem - So many people here can create these huge problems and then there are others that read it and run away, jump back in bed and wait for the apocalypse next december. Yes, I run with scissors and have no problems...

I run a ipad2, a MBA in a timbuk2 Commute 2.0 loaded with a projector and the MBA in a Bookbook - it's crammed and never the dreaded "key" problem...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.