Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Air

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Aug 5, 2011, 08:38 PM   #1
AtmChm
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: WI
Free Apple TV with 2010 MBA at Best Buy

Just bought a 2010 11" MBA at Best Buy and was told they just started a new promo of getting a free Apple TV with every 2010 MBA. Sale price on the base model 11" was $834.99, same as on their website, which is less than the $899 price on the Apple closeouts website. Interestingly the receipt listed the MBA as $735 and the Apple TV as $99.99 to get to the total of $834.99.
__________________
MBA; Mac Pro;iMac; Mini; Cube; G5 & G4 towers
AtmChm is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5, 2011, 08:53 PM   #2
technopimp
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Interesting...I wonder if you could take the ATV back then. Seems like you could, since you "paid" for it. Kind of like a "free" gift card where they reduce the price of the item and you pay for the card. Still, the Amazon deal is better if you can get in on it.
technopimp is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5, 2011, 10:32 PM   #3
macbookpro45
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
wow that's ridiculous, but an Apple TV is useless
macbookpro45 is offline   -7 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5, 2011, 11:30 PM   #4
neile45
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by macbookpro45 View Post
wow that's ridiculous, but an Apple TV is useless
I love my Apple TV - it works great on my bedroom tv!
neile45 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5, 2011, 11:35 PM   #5
urkel
macrumors 68020
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by macbookpro45 View Post
wow that's ridiculous, but an Apple TV is useless
Only to people who don't know what they're for...
urkel is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6, 2011, 02:06 AM   #6
animatedude
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
that's interesting...if Apple start doing this, more ppl will get into and understand how useful the Apple TV is.
animatedude is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6, 2011, 04:04 AM   #7
h00ligan
macrumors 68030
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
The next b2s promo
h00ligan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6, 2011, 04:05 AM   #8
h00ligan
macrumors 68030
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by urkel View Post
Only to people who don't know what they're for...
Jailbreaking so they are worth owning?
h00ligan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6, 2011, 11:06 AM   #9
AtmChm
Thread Starter
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: WI
Quote:
Originally Posted by technopimp View Post
Interesting...I wonder if you could take the ATV back then. Seems like you could, since you "paid" for it. Kind of like a "free" gift card where they reduce the price of the item and you pay for the card. Still, the Amazon deal is better if you can get in on it.
Yup, did that today. They took it back with full refund, no questions asked. So, net price was $735.
__________________
MBA; Mac Pro;iMac; Mini; Cube; G5 & G4 towers
AtmChm is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6, 2011, 11:31 AM   #10
shstiger2009
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtmChm View Post
Yup, did that today. They took it back with full refund, no questions asked. So, net price was $735.
So they took back the ATV and you basically just got the Air for $735...wow. Another great deal. I saw this deal at my local BB, wonder if they'd ring it up the same.
shstiger2009 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6, 2011, 03:49 PM   #11
AtmChm
Thread Starter
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: WI
Quote:
Originally Posted by shstiger2009 View Post
So they took back the ATV and you basically just got the Air for $735...wow. Another great deal. I saw this deal at my local BB, wonder if they'd ring it up the same.
Yeah, definitely a better deal than the Amazon coupon unless you already have a Kindle with special offers. Remember, I was told this is only good on the 2010 MBA models, not the new ones. However, they were even willing to give me a "free" ATV on an "open box" 2010 MBA, which was at $799 for the base 11".
__________________
MBA; Mac Pro;iMac; Mini; Cube; G5 & G4 towers
AtmChm is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6, 2011, 09:45 PM   #12
Mhotep
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
So was this in addition to the $100 gift card?
Mhotep is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6, 2011, 09:51 PM   #13
christophermdia
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
I love my Appletv and am thinking of buying 6 more for my other tv's!
christophermdia is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6, 2011, 09:59 PM   #14
hcho3
macrumors 68030
 
Join Date: May 2010
I am sorry if this was answered before, but where did you find this information?

Bestbuy updates their ads every sunday. Today is still Saturday. Is this unadvertised promo or what? Never heard of this before.
hcho3 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6, 2011, 10:20 PM   #15
hcho3
macrumors 68030
 
Join Date: May 2010
WTf... what do they have against new macbook air 2011 owners? Why aren't we qualify for apple TV promo. This makes me feel like return this laptop and buy it from amazon.
hcho3 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6, 2011, 10:29 PM   #16
s.hasan546
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: NY
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtmChm View Post
Yeah, definitely a better deal than the Amazon coupon unless you already have a Kindle with special offers. Remember, I was told this is only good on the 2010 MBA models, not the new ones. However, they were even willing to give me a "free" ATV on an "open box" 2010 MBA, which was at $799 for the base 11".
Thats not better than the amazon deal at all. You can get the amazon mba 11" base for $800 (you can return the kindle after you use the coupon). For $85 id take the 2011 MBA over the 2010 MBA any day.
s.hasan546 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6, 2011, 10:30 PM   #17
s.hasan546
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: NY
Quote:
Originally Posted by hcho3 View Post
WTf... what do they have against new macbook air 2011 owners? Why aren't we qualify for apple TV promo. This makes me feel like return this laptop and buy it from amazon.
there doing it to get rid of the mba 2010s. Honestly your better off with the 2011s anyway. And with the b2s that best buy matches it comes out similar/close to the apple tv promo.
s.hasan546 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 7, 2011, 12:07 AM   #18
tech324
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by s.hasan546 View Post
Thats not better than the amazon deal at all. You can get the amazon mba 11" base for $800 (you can return the kindle after you use the coupon). For $85 id take the 2011 MBA over the 2010 MBA any day.
You can return the Kindle after using the coupon? I bought a Kindle and I have already bought the Macbook air with the discount. Returning the Kindle does not void the coupon?
tech324 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 7, 2011, 12:48 AM   #19
urkel
macrumors 68020
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by s.hasan546 View Post
Thats not better than the amazon deal at all. You can get the amazon mba 11" base for $800 (you can return the kindle after you use the coupon). For $85 id take the 2011 MBA over the 2010 MBA any day.
I made an impulse buy today when I saw an Open Box Best Buy deal for $650 ($834 clearance - 83 Open Box discount - 100 AppleTV). I agree that the 2011 is a far superior machine for very little more money but this is for the wife and she wont be doing anything that requires much power.
urkel is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 7, 2011, 12:28 PM   #20
Mhotep
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
This has me thinking of going to get two for the kids for christmas presents. I have some 2 old laptops that I may trade in for an extra 200 off each.bring price down some. Daughter is really hard on laptops. Gone through 2 so far in college. Original iPhone busted within 6 months, 1 HTC Hero in 1 few months of getting it, and other electronic devices. Son does pretty good. though. I like this because of the apple TV that can be returned. to bring price down.
Mhotep is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 9, 2011, 08:50 PM   #21
AtmChm
Thread Starter
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: WI
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mhotep View Post
So was this in addition to the $100 gift card?
Did not get the $100 gift card since this was not an 'education" purchase. Does Best Buy actually give those out? I thought you only got those when purchasing directly from Apple.
__________________
MBA; Mac Pro;iMac; Mini; Cube; G5 & G4 towers
AtmChm is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 9, 2011, 08:56 PM   #22
hcho3
macrumors 68030
 
Join Date: May 2010
Strange... I asked about this promo at my local bestbuy and they looked at me like I was making things up.


This is clearly not advertised promo and it must be vary on every stores.
hcho3 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10, 2011, 10:09 AM   #23
AtmChm
Thread Starter
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: WI
Quote:
Originally Posted by hcho3 View Post
Strange... I asked about this promo at my local bestbuy and they looked at me like I was making things up.


This is clearly not advertised promo and it must be vary on every stores.
Yeah, that could be. It may be just a Best Buy promo for stores that have a lot of stock of the 2010 MBA.

If you can return the Kindle without voiding the coupon, then the Amazon deal is better, but I also believe it has ended (I think you had to get the coupon by Monday).

Also, the 2011 MBA is a better deal in general EXCEPT if you don't want Lion, at least not right now. The 2011 MBA won't run on SL, so you have to get a 2010 MBA from the dwindling supply if you want to run SL. That's actually the main reason I bought one, not so much because of the price, and I didn't even know about the Apple TV promo until I was in the store, and even then I thought they were going to just give it to me for free, not take the $99.99 off the price of the MBA. Maybe the sales person I had just made this all up, not sure, but it's all on the sales slip!
__________________
MBA; Mac Pro;iMac; Mini; Cube; G5 & G4 towers
AtmChm is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10, 2011, 10:20 AM   #24
shstiger2009
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by hcho3 View Post
Strange... I asked about this promo at my local bestbuy and they looked at me like I was making things up.


This is clearly not advertised promo and it must be vary on every stores.
Yeah, I'd bet individual stores were asked how much stock they had left of the 2010 MBA's and if it were over a certain number they could run the promotion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtmChm View Post
Yeah, that could be. It may be just a Best Buy promo for stores that have a lot of stock of the 2010 MBA.

If you can return the Kindle without voiding the coupon, then the Amazon deal is better, but I also believe it has ended (I think you had to get the coupon by Monday).

Also, the 2011 MBA is a better deal in general EXCEPT if you don't want Lion, at least not right now. The 2011 MBA won't run on SL, so you have to get a 2010 MBA from the dwindling supply if you want to run SL. That's actually the main reason I bought one, not so much because of the price, and I didn't even know about the Apple TV promo until I was in the store, and even then I thought they were going to just give it to me for free, not take the $99.99 off the price of the MBA. Maybe the sales person I had just made this all up, not sure, but it's all on the sales slip!
That's what I would think...just ring it up as $0.00 and the MBA at the full price. That's why I was shocked when you said you returned it. Oh well, just another great deal on MBA's!
shstiger2009 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10, 2011, 07:58 PM   #25
Mhotep
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtmChm View Post
Did not get the $100 gift card since this was not an 'education" purchase. Does Best Buy actually give those out? I thought you only got those when purchasing directly from Apple.
Best buy is giving the 100 gift card to match Apple.
Mhotep is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Air

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Free Pages/Numbers/Keynote apps for 2010 MBA saintforlife MacBook Air 6 Jan 2, 2014 10:49 AM
What's worthy: upgrade 2010 MBP or buy MBA? bruleke MacBook Air 11 Dec 12, 2012 08:02 AM
When I buy FCP X for MBA will I be able to get it free for iMac? MacPat333 Digital Video 4 Nov 24, 2012 06:44 AM
2010 11" mba trackpad fixed by apple- free jksu MacBook Air 0 Nov 10, 2012 10:43 AM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:36 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC