Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ulf1103

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 5, 2011
Hy
I'm going to buy a MBP and if I'm gonna program apps for it, I'll need Xcode, I've seen it's free to download etc, but do I need to pay something to get the apps on the app store?

Ulf1103

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 5, 2011
You need to be member of the Mac Developer or iOS Developer Program; both around 100$ a year

If you want programs for MBP the Mac Developer Program is for you ...

http://developer.apple.com/

So, if I understand correctly, Xcode is free to download, even if you don't pay the membership? So you can make some apps, but you can't put them on the app store.

(So basically, if you have 1 paid app, you'll need it to be bought (100/(0.99*0.7)) 145 times (in a year) before you make profit...
Is it doable for a starting developer?

Is Xcode for both iOS apps and Mac apps?

ufkdo

macrumors 6502
Oct 30, 2010
Turkey
So, if I understand correctly, Xcode is free to download, even if you don't pay the membership? So you can make some apps, but you can't put them on the app store.

(So basically, if you have 1 paid app, you'll need it to be bought (100/(0.99*0.7)) 145 times (in a year) before you make profit...

Yes, you understood correctly. Xcode is free even tough you are not a developer. And your calculation is correct, but don't forget, your app will be on sale for a lot of countries. With a good app, you can easily sell more than 145 times per year.

And Xcode is for both ios and os x.

AdrianK

macrumors 68020
Feb 19, 2011
Correct. Free for lion users, costs $3 or something for Snow Leopard users.

If costs 0.99, yes.

Yes, but in order to get mac apps on to Mac App Store, that's another $100 /year.

Ulf1103

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 5, 2011
Yes, you understood correctly. Xcode is free even tough you are not a developer. And your calculation is correct, but don't forget, your app will be on sale for a lot of countries. With a good app, you can easily sell more than 145 times per year.

And Xcode is for both ios and os x.

Well thanks.

Just tree more questions :p
1) If you do put a new app on the app store, it's new and nobody knows about it, so how does it can get even a single download?
2) iAds or something, how and how much do you get paid for it?
3) Can you buy the developer stuff with your iTunes account?

AdrianK

macrumors 68020
Feb 19, 2011
Well thanks.

1) If you do put a new app on the app store, it's new and nobody knows about it, so how does it can get even a single download?

1) keyword searches? You could advertise, give out promo codes etc.
2) From what I've seen developers say on these boards, not very much, and that's to be expected. You'd hardly earn anything with 145 users.

ufkdo

macrumors 6502
Oct 30, 2010
Turkey
Well thanks.

1. You can give away some promo codes here and on other forums, so that they will review your app on MAS. If your app is good enough they will tell their friends, friends will tell their friends...
2. I don't know, unfortunately.
3. I think you can.

Ulf1103

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 5, 2011

Oh darn...
Well, thanx for the information.
I think I'm gonna do the next when I bought my MBP.

I'll make a few apps 5 free and 5 paid,
then I'll become a member of the mac developers and/or iOS developers, bring them on the app store's and tell my friends.
And I hope I can pay the debt from it and maybe make some profit. :)

Is that a good strategy? What do you think?

Ulf1103

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 5, 2011
don't bet your retirement money on it. start it as hobby and see how it turns out. Do you have any experience in programming ?

Well, I've programed a bit in VisualBasic.NET (and FrontPage but that doesn't really count :p).
I'm now learning/reading the book on http://cocoalab.com/BecomeAnXcoder.pdf
and I must say, with my experience, it's really easy (at least the first chapters, I've just finished chapter 4 :D)

fishcake

macrumors newbie
Mar 23, 2009
App Store Necessary?

I don't develop mac apps, but I don't believe you need to sell an app via the app store, you can sell it via your own web presence instead.

Buying a mac developer membership for $100 will give you access to lots of usefull information I guess, but if you go it alone without the app store you can save the $100 if that's an issue for you. Any developers care to comment?

Ulf1103

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 5, 2011
I don't develop mac apps, but I don't believe you need to sell an app via the app store, you can sell it via your own web presence instead.

Buying a mac developer membership for $100 will give you access to lots of usefull information I guess, but if you go it alone without the app store you can save the $100 if that's an issue for you. Any developers care to comment?

Necessary for iOS I guess.
For the Mac I don't know :p

Nikh

macrumors regular
Jun 15, 2010
Kyiv
What I can say about iOS/Mac OS development program - unless you are going to program a total crap, you will return your $99 in a year :)
New application is noticed by users, since it is one of the categories users can see. In a first few days you'll get around 30-40-50 downloads, depending on quality of your app. After that, for few weeks, if app is not good enough you'll get around 1-2 download per day. And after that around 5-10 random downloads per month (that's about iOS apps).
And I don't recommend to write 5-10 applications, better sit down, think, and write one good app.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.