Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store

Old Aug 6, 2011, 08:42 PM   #1
Trebuin
macrumors 6502a

single file encryption

looking for OSX & Windows program to encrypt a single file easily. I'd like something that I can double-click on the file, enter password, edit, save, close, and that's it.

I'm currently using truecrypt, but that involves two files, mount the truecrypt file, open the file to edit, save, close, dismount the truecrypt file...a bit of an inconvienence, but it's the only thing I have found that works so far.

With Lion, I'm limited, I've tried encfs...but just can't get it working, nor do I have the space to install xcode required...using an ssd. I'm also pushing this stuff through dropbox...hence why the windows/osx requirements.

Thanks ahead of time for the help.

Treb
Trebuin is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 7, 2011, 03:16 PM   #2
robgendreau
macrumors 68000

And whilst we're at it, and sorry to hijack the thread a bit, but I'm also interested in a solution that preserves tags, specifically openmeta tags, since they are lost when writing to a TrueCrypt "disk."
robgendreau is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 7, 2011, 04:10 PM   #3
Nikh
macrumors regular

Have you tried GnuPG and GUI applications, based on it?
Old Aug 7, 2011, 04:37 PM   #4
munkery
macrumors 68020

Read #18 in my "Mac Security Suggestions" link located below in my sig.

This solution may be an option to achieve encryption on that level in OS X.

MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store