Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bacan1

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 22, 2010
Toronto, Canada
Ordered MBA on August 1, shipped on August 2 with expedited shipping. Estimated delivery was August 5 or August 8. Fedex tracking shows it arrived in Mississauga on August 3 and was handed over to Apple's non-Fedex customs broker at 7:50 am. It has been sitting there ever since. I was looking at my invoice today and I see that I was not charged HST on the order, which is unusual based on my previous orders. Apple customer service is now telling me my order should be delivered August 9. They refunded my expedited shipping fee but are refusing to escalate this further until August 9. They don't think it is a problem that I wasn't charged HST. But it seems pretty obvious to me that the reason it is being held up at their customs broker is that nobody has paid tax on it! ??? :mad:

iDuel

macrumors 6502a
Jul 20, 2011
Greece/USA
Yea, your probably going to have to wait till August 9th to do anything about it since the package itself really isn't in Apple's control anymore because it left the FedEx center to be run through Canadian Customs.

snberk103

macrumors 603
Oct 22, 2007
An Island in the Salish Sea
I've had things ordered from Apple held for several days at Customs for no obvious reason. It's sometimes just a workload issue, I think.

My favourite GST-on-import story is the time I got charged $5 "handling fee" by Customs to process $1.29 in GST due on a package. Sigh.

Be patient.... And hope that they don't ship your stuff to the far side of the country before delivering it to you. Which has also happened to me.

Lord Appleseed

macrumors 6502a
Nov 7, 2010
Apple Manor
Customs are the same all over the world. They keep packages for days and sometimes weeks for no real reason.

I once ordered something from PlayAsia.com, which is in China.
The customs in the EU got the package 3 days after the package was sent away (i tracked it until it left china). The customs then decided to keep the package for 2 whole weeks, with no explanation when asked for the reason.

DannySmurf

macrumors 6502a
Jul 7, 2005
At least they're not demanding that you pay a whole bunch of fees to get it out of customs. I've had that happen before too. CCRA are leeches.

Duke15

macrumors 6502
May 18, 2011
Canada
that would be sweet if you don't have to pay hst, I was considering ordering from amazon because of their deal but with hat it ruins it and makes it smarter to buy at the apple store...with education discount. Let us know if something changes and they charge you hat or if they don't

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.