Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Air

Old Aug 7, 2011, 11:30 AM   #1
DannySmurf
macrumors 6502a

SD card slot suitability

Couple of questions for anyone who may have tried this. I'd like to put Windows on my new MBA (2011, i5, 256GB). The SD card slot is sitting there unused, so I'm wondering... would I be able to put Windows 7 on a 32GB SD card? Would that even be bootable? And fast enough for general use?

I could always partition the internal drive, but if there's some other avenue, I'd rather keep that whole drive for OSX.
DannySmurf is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 7, 2011, 07:34 PM   #2
LeakedDave
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannySmurf View Post
Couple of questions for anyone who may have tried this. I'd like to put Windows on my new MBA (2011, i5, 256GB). The SD card slot is sitting there unused, so I'm wondering... would I be able to put Windows 7 on a 32GB SD card? Would that even be bootable? And fast enough for general use?

I could always partition the internal drive, but if there's some other avenue, I'd rather keep that whole drive for OSX.
Some say it will run hellishly slow off an SD Card but I am going to try.
LeakedDave is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 7, 2011, 07:37 PM   #3
alust2013
macrumors 68040

SD cards are limited to USB 2, and are slower than you want a boot drive to begin with. It is possible, but not something you want to use for anything more than basic tasks.
Old Aug 8, 2011, 04:50 AM   #4
yongren
macrumors regular

Another option would be to install Windows on your main drive along with Lion, and use the spare 32GB card for file storage.

EDIT: Saw the last line of your post. I still think this is the best option though, if you really need to have Windows...
yongren is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 8, 2011, 10:03 AM   #5
technopimp
macrumors 6502

Just for fun I spun up an Ubuntu VM under Parallels on a 32GB SDHC card. Was not even usable (didn't time it, but took over 5 minutes to boot). Took over a minute to launch an application.

With your 256GB SSD you have more than enough space unless you have a TON of application. I have a 20GB Parallels volume for Windows 7 and I think I have ~10GB "free".
technopimp is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Air