Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

h0ser81

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 17, 2011
Williamstown, PA
Alright folks, I just scored a hell of a deal on Craigslist. I got a nearly new Dell U2311H 23" IPS display for 100 bucks. I've discovered a little problem though. For some reason the VGA connection works perfectly fine with a VGA to DVI adapter on the video card but when I try to run straight DVI from the monitor to the G5 there is no signal. The monitor just goes right into sleep mode. Is there anything special I have to do to get the G5 to recognize the monitor or vice versa?

To add a little more info. I'm using a DVI-D single link cable. Do I need to use a DVI-D Dual Link cable?

Last edited:

h0ser81

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 17, 2011
Williamstown, PA
I'm thinking it's the DVI cable. It's not the original one that came with the monitor but rather an extra one I had laying around. It's super long and only single link. I'm gonna try to find a shorter dual link cable and see if that makes a difference.

iThinkergoiMac

macrumors 68030
Jan 20, 2010
Terra
Congrats on getting it to work.

For what it's worth, switching to a dual-link DVI cable wouldn't have made a difference. The number of pixels you'd be pushing are well within single-link DVI's capability.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.