Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X > Mac OS X 10.7 Lion

Old Aug 7, 2011, 07:21 PM   #1
Onfoot
macrumors newbie

Question Mac Mail 5 cannot remove phantom email

Recently moved to Lion, as well as migrating from Thunderbird to Mail (Version 5.0 (1244.2/1244.3)). The mail migration took some time, but all now working well and all messages migrated OK.

But one minor glitch. I connect with three Pop3 accounts. All work well, but one of them insists on showing that it has one unread email message in it. Nothing shows up on the server or in the inbox--but the inbox always shows the icon insisting that there is one unread email. In fact there are no emails in that inbox. If it receives, say, a new email, it will show 2 unread email, but only one actually in the inbox. Delete the new email, and it is back to showing the phantom 1. I have rebuilt the inbox with no changes. I have checked the server and there is nothing.

What can I do? Any suggestions? I can live with this, but it is annoying.

Thanks!
Onfoot is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 7, 2011, 07:39 PM   #2
Onfoot
macrumors newbie

Smile Problem solved

Simple and obvious solution. Remove account from Mail and then re-install account. Did so and phantom email is gone. Don't know why I did not do that immediately. Ah well.
Old Aug 7, 2011, 07:51 PM   #3
Onfoot
macrumors newbie

Unhappy OK. This is really weird. Problem is back.

OK. I deleted and reinstalled the account. The phantom email disappeared. Than, when I was composing an email to send via another account, for no apparent reason, the phantom email showed up again! There is NOTHING showing in the inbox, and NOTHING showing on the server. The only thing that shows up is the number 1 in a grey circle--the icon showing that there is unread email in that inbox.

So again, does anyone have any suggestions? thanks!
Old Sep 5, 2011, 09:14 AM   #4
JeFurry
macrumors newbie

I don't have a solution for you, I'm afraid... but I can tell you you're not the only one. I have 3 phantom messages in my MobileMe trashcan. They're not on the server - the MobileMe server knows nothing of them. I can completely delete that folder on the server, and it disappears from my Mac too, as it should... then one day it'll reappear with the 3 unread nonexistent messages too.

Rebuilding didn't solve it, switching trash to local (not server) storage fixed it only temporarily - the ghosts returned when I switched back - and deleting the account or folder was the same; a temporary fix. Reindexing in spotlight did nothing, and manually removing that folder from Mail's library folder didn't do the trick either. I'm out of ideas.
JeFurry is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X > Mac OS X 10.7 Lion