Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater

Old Aug 7, 2011, 08:13 PM   #1
finalcut
macrumors 6502

ATV of Airport Express for music to receiver

Hello everyone,

I want to listen some music with my Home receiver. My music would come from either my iPhone or MacBook Pro.

Am I missing something or either ATV and Airport Express would work for what I need?

With almost the same price, if both options would work, then I'd buy a ATV.

thanks in advance
finalcut is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 7, 2011, 08:26 PM   #2
Panch0
macrumors 6502a

I can't think of any reason that the ATV wouldn't work, but If you're really only interested in Music, I'd go for the AE.

The ATV limits you to a HDMI Connection (not sure if you could use the Optical audio without the HDMI or not). In any case, the connections from the ATV are limited, but I guess that really depends on the free ports on your receiver. You may need to at least temporarily connect the ATV to a TV to set it up (to the wireless network if nothing else).
Panch0 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 7, 2011, 08:41 PM   #3
zhenya
macrumors 68020

The AppleTV actually has both HDMI and a standard Toslink digital audio output, so it works perfectly for an audio connection to the receiver. In fact, to get digital audio from the AE requires an odd toslink cable with a digital mini jack plug, whereas the ATV uses a standard connection. I have both (several AE's, actually), and can't say which one I'd choose. Obviously the ATV can also do video, but the AE is a portable router and a usb print server as well...

Either way, buy from the Apple refurb store and save a few bucks.
zhenya is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 7, 2011, 08:51 PM   #4
finalcut
macrumors 6502

I have 2 free hdmi ports on my receiver. I also have a 4th Gen Airport extreme with my old TC connected to the Airport Extreme. So I have all my usb ports for printer and my WD World Editions.

I guess ATV would be the best option for me then. Plus I'd get video. I only wish there are some french movies that can be rented from Apple.

thanks for the advices guys
finalcut is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater