Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

waloshin

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Oct 9, 2008
Lets make a list of what you should take to your dorm and what you should not.

Should: Your computer.

Should not: Your video game collection you invested thousands in.

velocityg4

macrumors 604
Dec 19, 2004
Georgia
Lets make a list of what you should take to your dorm and what you should not.

Should: Your computer.

Should not: Your video game collection you invested thousands in.

Anything of value should be locked down. I hope you have a security cable on your computer.

Should: Calculator, pens, pencils, binders, paper

Should not: Alchohol, Weed (they'll just lower your GPA)

Daffodil

macrumors 6502
Jun 7, 2011
In a sunny state of mind
Should: An open mind. You'll meet lots of people very different from you, so take all the opportunities you have to "broaden your horizons." Look into studying abroad/living in your school's International House if they have one. Interacting with as many people as possible that are as different as possible will benefit you hugely in the future.

Should not: Emotional baggage/personal drama. It'll only prevent you from moving forwards.

(Cheesy, I know, but it bears saying nonetheless. :eek:;))

MovieCutter

macrumors 68040
May 3, 2005
Washington, DC
Should: An open mind. You'll meet lots of people very different from you, so take all the opportunities you have to "broaden your horizons." Look into studying abroad/living in your school's International House if they have one. Interacting with as many people as possible that are as different as possible will benefit you hugely in the future.

Should not: Emotional baggage/personal drama. It'll only prevent you from moving forwards.

(Cheesy, I know, but it bears saying nonetheless. :eek:;))

That was adorable.

Should: Condoms, liquor and the other obvious crap

Should not: Well that's for you to decide.

ethical

macrumors 68000
Dec 22, 2007
Should: Booze rubbers xbox and books
Should Not: Spare stationary (I always took too much, it takes up space and is so cheap you can buy it if and when you need it)

Contiguous

macrumors member
Jul 22, 2011
-Some sort of desk lighting fixture since what you usually get (if you get more than one light) is fluorescent and/or horrible.

-Depending on how large your room is, a clothes drying rack. You would not believe how many people borrowed mine (and my siblings' when they were in res.)

-Powerbars and/or extension cords.

-Garbage can

-Do not bring your massive stereo and/or TV. It won't fit, and if it does, your neighbours will hate you. Or, everyone will come to your room to hang out or watch movies and you won't get anything done.

- If you have room in your moving vehicle and plan on doing most of your work in your room, a good desk chair is invaluable.

-Don't bring consumables that you can buy there, unless there isn't a store handy. For example, pens, looseleaf, garbage bags, laundry soap, kleenex, condoms etc.

Check the alcohol policy before you run out and buy booze (or pay someone to buy it for you.) You don't want to be looking for a place to stay in October if you run afoul of the RAs.

This, of course, is assuming you're moving a fair ways in a smallish car.

Last edited:

r1ch4rd

macrumors 6502a
Aug 5, 2005
Manchester UK
Bring your own bedding, even if there is some provided. My halls provided the worst bedding. I dread to think of the bodily fluids that had been deposited over the years.

wvuwhat

macrumors 65816
Sep 26, 2007
Bring a nice flatscreen and gaming console. I had one my freshman year in the dorms in 05' and it brought a lot of people over to chill and hangout. As sad as it is, I think I made some friends because of it, plus it was never boring when people were over and hanging out.

And, regardless of people telling you not to bring stuff like this. You will have A LOT of free time to fill, so you need distractions that aren't booze and weed.

Tomorrow

macrumors 604
Mar 2, 2008
Always a day away
Forget the video games. If you want to play video games, then stay home and play video games. If you want to learn something, leave the games at home and go to college.

Bring your computer, clothes, toiletries, bedding, and a few things from home to make the place "yours." If you have a small TV, bring it; leave the big flat screen at home. You won't be watching enough TV to make it worth your while. Get a decent alarm clock and a cheap coffee maker, if you drink it; those will be your best friends.

You won't need much else, and it will just take up a bunch of room you already don't have.

Fugue

macrumors 6502
Jan 14, 2011
I'm going to college too. People who say bring booze and weed and condoms...That's not something you would bring with you on move in day. That's something you buy right before a party. I understand you're trying to be funny, but it's not exactly relevant advice.

I'm bringing my computer, toiletries, and a ton of clothing. Everything else is provided.

I don't do any console gaming, but I'm sure my hallmates will have their consoles which I could leech off if necessary.

ejb190

macrumors 65816
Basic school supplies, maybe a microwave, mini-fridge, etc.

As always, check your school policy on this one. Some don't allow them and some already have them. If you have one, don't forget a few dishes.

Leave the TV and games. There are too many campus activities and things to do to be holed up in your room for hours on end. You will never again have the chance to take up things like learning to fly, ballroom dancing, scuba diving, judo, fencing, or astronomy at the cost that a college club can offer. I suggest getting involved in at least two clubs - one related to your major and one outside.

Leave the valuables at home - Someone nabbed the RA's master key over spring break one year. What a mess...

A small toolbox or multi-tool is a must. A hammer, pliers, and screwdrivers at least.

(Why do I feel like I make this same post at least once a year?)

MacBoobsPro

macrumors 603
Jan 10, 2006
Cant believe no one has mentioned a girl yet lol.

Should: Take condoms and a girl into your room.
Should not: Other roommates (unless they're female) :D

May 8, 2008
Should: Say 'Yes' to almost everything.

Should not: Take classes before 10am if you're not a morning person.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.