Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iOS > Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Aug 8, 2011, 01:12 PM   #1
Pink pants
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Exclamation Unlocking my Japanese iphone 4 - PLEASE HELP :'(

Hi guys,

i just moved to UK from Japan and I have a japanese iphone 4 on softbank network.

I have tried to unlock it using Ultrasnow 1.2.3 but unfortunately it doesnt work for my baseband.

I have also tried using the Gevey Supreme unlocking sim. Unortunately this hasn't worked either.

I want to eventually use my O2 Pay As You Go sim card in my iPhone.

My phone details are:-

iPhone 4
Version: 4.3.3 (8J2)
Modem Firmware (Baseband): 04.10.01

Could anyone please help me out as I am really eager to get my iPhone working!

Thanks!!!!
Pink pants is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 8, 2011, 01:17 PM   #2
ashman70
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Is your iPhone currently jailbroken? Was it jailbroken when you tried the Gevey Supreme?
__________________
Iphone 6 64GB, iPad Mini 32GB wifi
2013 iMac 27" 16GB RAM, 1TB fusion drive, Nvidia 780M, 2xDell 23" monitors, 4x3TB Thunderbay IV enclosure.
MacBook Air 13" mid 2014, 128GB, 4GB RAM.
ashman70 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 8, 2011, 01:22 PM   #3
Pink pants
Thread Starter
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashman70 View Post
Is your iPhone currently jailbroken? Was it jailbroken when you tried the Gevey Supreme?
Hi,

Yes my iPhone is currently jailbroken, and it was jailbroken when i tried the Gevey Supreme. Do you think this could be the problem?
Pink pants is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 8, 2011, 01:35 PM   #4
ashman70
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
No because it is supposed to be jailbroken when you use the Gevey Supreme. Did you get any error messages, what exactly happened when you tried to use the Gevey Supreme? It is supposed to work with all base bands, regardless of what country the iPhone is from, as far as I know.
__________________
Iphone 6 64GB, iPad Mini 32GB wifi
2013 iMac 27" 16GB RAM, 1TB fusion drive, Nvidia 780M, 2xDell 23" monitors, 4x3TB Thunderbay IV enclosure.
MacBook Air 13" mid 2014, 128GB, 4GB RAM.
ashman70 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 8, 2011, 01:40 PM   #5
Applejuiced
macrumors Nehalem
 
Applejuiced's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: At the iPhone hacks section.
Your only option to unlock is Gevey.
But also that wont work on the 5.0 firmware that's going to be released soon.
Applejuiced is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 8, 2011, 01:47 PM   #6
Pink pants
Thread Starter
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashman70 View Post
No because it is supposed to be jailbroken when you use the Gevey Supreme. Did you get any error messages, what exactly happened when you tried to use the Gevey Supreme? It is supposed to work with all base bands, regardless of what country the iPhone is from, as far as I know.
Well we ran through the setup as the online videos and Gevey said. The Gevey message came up, but only after a lot of switching airplane mode on and off. After that I kept getting "invalid sim", "sim error" and "no sim" messages. I tried different variations of the set up as I had read in other forums. I can't figure out where it is going wrong!

As far as I know the supreme should have worked :'(
Pink pants is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 8, 2011, 01:48 PM   #7
Applejuiced
macrumors Nehalem
 
Applejuiced's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: At the iPhone hacks section.
Maybe you got a defective gevey?
Applejuiced is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 8, 2011, 02:33 PM   #8
Minhthien
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Gevey Supreme is FAKE! You need to find the Real Gevey Ultra to unlock your iphone! LINK
Minhthien is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 8, 2011, 03:03 PM   #9
labman
macrumors 604
 
labman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Mich near Detroit
Also beware Gevey will not work above 5.0 Beta 2. So if you want to remain unlocked be careful unless they figure something else out! I honestly think the Dev-team is done with unlocks at least until we get some new hackers. I think allot of fault belongs to the people that feel they are owed jailbreaks and unlocks. We aren't owed anything hope yes expect no.
__________________
IP4+Hackintosh Pro Joining AT&T PM me get $25 Dev-Teams Blog My TwitterCan I JB/UL my device Click here
labman is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 8, 2011, 04:29 PM   #10
Minhthien
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by labman View Post
Also beware Gevey will not work above 5.0 Beta 2. So if you want to remain unlocked be careful unless they figure something else out! I honestly think the Dev-team is done with unlocks at least until we get some new hackers. I think allot of fault belongs to the people that feel they are owed jailbreaks and unlocks. We aren't owed anything hope yes expect no.
I bet my iphone, macbook that they're on Steve payroll!
Minhthien is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 8, 2011, 04:46 PM   #11
xavierpunkreno
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minhthien View Post
I bet my iphone, macbook that they're on Steve payroll!
No, why bother wasting time on unlocks and such when iPhones in the state can be factory unlocked now?
xavierpunkreno is offline   -1 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 8, 2011, 05:00 PM   #12
Minhthien
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by xavierpunkreno View Post
No, why bother wasting time on unlocks and such when iPhones in the state can be factory unlocked now?
Because you have to paid full price for factory unlock. If you sign contract which is a big discount and you only paid 159 vs 650! Plus many of us are traveling to other country and needed to be unlock! I wait and wait and wait for dev team to release but they fail so I actually went and buy the factory unlock version(32gb) with tax came up to 879!
Minhthien is offline   -1 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 8, 2011, 05:24 PM   #13
labman
macrumors 604
 
labman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Mich near Detroit
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minhthien View Post
I bet my iphone, macbook that they're on Steve payroll!
Well if that's your fear learn to hack we are sure that you will be pure and give us free jailbreaks and unlocks forever. After All everybody talks about how easy it is. So what are you waiting for!
__________________
IP4+Hackintosh Pro Joining AT&T PM me get $25 Dev-Teams Blog My TwitterCan I JB/UL my device Click here
labman is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 8, 2011, 06:12 PM   #14
Pink pants
Thread Starter
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by labman View Post
Also beware Gevey will not work above 5.0 Beta 2. So if you want to remain unlocked be careful unless they figure something else out! I honestly think the Dev-team is done with unlocks at least until we get some new hackers. I think allot of fault belongs to the people that feel they are owed jailbreaks and unlocks. We aren't owed anything hope yes expect no.
I was aware that I would only be able to take the unlock so far.

It would just be nice for me to carry on using my Japanese iPhone if I could.
Pink pants is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 8, 2011, 07:23 PM   #15
gngan
macrumors 68000
 
gngan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: MacWorld
Quote:
Originally Posted by xavierpunkreno View Post
No, why bother wasting time on unlocks and such when iPhones in the state can be factory unlocked now?
Op is in UK. Why would you suggest getting official unlock from the ''State"?

Moreover, UK iPhones is also unlock or can be unlock through carrier. There are lots of countries that sell official unlock with the "State". I hope you know that there are other places out there other than the "State'.
__________________
2011 13''MBP i5 Dual HDD (128GB SSD+1TB HDD)+8gb RAM; iPhone 5S, iPod Nano 3rd & 6th gen; iPod Wheel; iPad Air 64gb; Airport Extreme/Express; Synology 4tb +WD 2tb; Canon 5D MKIII
gngan is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 18, 2011, 07:51 PM   #16
pacnorth206
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
similar situation

I'm in a similar situation as pink pants, but I have not jailbroken my iphone. I would like to use the iphone 4 I bought in japan in the US. At a minimum, I need to unlock the phone. The specs on my phone are the same as his:

iphone4
version: 4.3.3 (8J2)
Firmware: 04.10.01

I recently purchased an ATT microsim card. Given several other threads I have read, I have just purchased the GEVEY Ultra from applenberry and read both their written instructions and watched the video.

I have a question concerning using the manual vs. automatic unlock. In the manual version, no jailbreak is required but one needs to dial "112" during the unlocking process. The automatic version requires the jailbreak, but does not require dialing "112". Can someone please explain the significance of dialing "112"?

I am new to this and appreciate help.
pacnorth206 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 18, 2011, 07:59 PM   #17
Tech Elementz
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by pacnorth206 View Post
I'm in a similar situation as pink pants, but I have not jailbroken my iphone. I would like to use the iphone 4 I bought in japan in the US. At a minimum, I need to unlock the phone. The specs on my phone are the same as his:

iphone4
version: 4.3.3 (8J2)
Firmware: 04.10.01

I recently purchased an ATT microsim card. Given several other threads I have read, I have just purchased the GEVEY Ultra from applenberry and read both their written instructions and watched the video.

I have a question concerning using the manual vs. automatic unlock. In the manual version, no jailbreak is required but one needs to dial "112" during the unlocking process. The automatic version requires the jailbreak, but does not require dialing "112". Can someone please explain the significance of dialing "112"?

I am new to this and appreciate help.
The 112 is essentially part of the process. However, calling 112 is like calling 911. The reason why you have to do this, I don't know, but follow instructions correctly while calling 112 so you don't actually connect the call to emergency services. You only have to call them for like 2 seconds I believe then end the call. At 2 seconds, it should not connect, which is why its still legal. If the call connects, you may be liable for being in trouble...
Tech Elementz is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 18, 2011, 10:18 PM   #18
pacnorth206
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Thanks for the response.

So if I choose the manual unlock using the GEVEY ultra chip and get everything to work, what are the restrictions compared to the automatic unlock (after jailbreaking the phone)? Do I need to re-unlock the phone if I turn off the power? Can I still use ITunes to sync my phone (as long as I don't install new software or firmware)?
pacnorth206 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iOS > Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Japanese Manufacturers Ramp Up Production as iPhone 5S, iPhone 5C Launches Loom MacRumors iOS Blog Discussion 24 Sep 7, 2013 02:54 AM
iPhone 4S Japanese model muting issues Cub iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting 2 Apr 10, 2013 10:07 AM
iPhone: iPhone 5 Japanese Anime Wallpaper JS82712 UI Customization 11 Feb 13, 2013 03:07 PM
What good is a japanese iphone when you can't use it??? missingmyerica iPhone and iPod touch Apps 6 Feb 10, 2013 02:50 PM
iPhone 5 Japanese Carriers Jjaro iPhone 35 Oct 20, 2012 09:25 AM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:05 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC